iPhone App a nightmare

By the looks of it, I'm not the only one not-impressed with the new app. I was very comfortable using the older one and didn't have many complaints.

However, this new one is a nightmare in my opinion. I could list my complaints, but it's pointless. :blink: Let me get down to business...

1. Saving for offline use - anyone know how this is done? Sure, I can save caches to my lists associated with my geocaching account, but when I try to use it offline, there is no map displayed. The older app allowed us to save caches for offline use and gave options for saving with or without maps. I tried using the new one offline and all I got was the cache information but I need the streets to show me where to go.

Why is this important? - When I'm in an area with no coverage, when I travel to the USA from Canada, and when I've used too much data and need to save money :P

2. Anyone else wish we could log the find and drop trackables at the same time?

3. Other than write note, DNF and Found, I can't maintain or disable or enable any of my own caches using this app. Frustrating.

That's all I've thought of for now but the offline piece is the most critical at this point.

Thanks in advance

You will see lists, listed. But you don't get offline maps until you take the extra step to "Download Offline Data" for the lists you wish to use offline. At that point, some map tiles get downloaded. You may need to load a lot of caches for a drive to Canada. Or use an offline mapping App. Use tools that exist.

I don't think this App is suitable for placing nor managing caches. There's so much typing, coding, and file management required for placing and even maintaining a cache, it's best on an ordinary PC. But you can save waypoints for likely cache spots. The Official App is light, and that's good. It's partly for people to try out Geocaching, without having to fill their phone just to try it. There are other iPhone Geocaching Apps with specific tools, and their own pros and cons.

Trackables are an even bigger challenge for an App. You certainly must be online when "sending" the log, since Trackable logs must happen in real time. And once you get an error (you find the TB, the previous person never logged the drop, or there are any of a buhzillion other complications), an "App" won't do it. Well, it won't do it correctly. TPTB could make an "App" for just Trackables, and it would become pretty much the main thing the programmers do. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

1- Offline. When you have a list in the app, then click on the "..." to the right of the list name and select "Download Offline Data". That will download both cache info and maps around the caches in your list. Give it a try and see how it works. Help Center articles HERE and HERE.

2- TB's. The way the app works for dropping trackables doesn't bother me too much. After all, how many TB's are typically dropped in each cache? Not that much extra effort. I would like it if retrieve/grab could be done by entering the TB code on the TB inventory screen. If I find a TB in a cache, but it's not listed as being in that cache, then I just open up the web browser to find the TB and log my "Grab it from somewhere else".

Based on all the comments I've seen from trackable owners complaining about excessive visit logs for their TB's, and the frustration I've felt when having to scroll through pages and pages of visit logs on tb's - then I kinda like that it's not so easy to visit tb's when logging finds. It can be a pain for cachers that have personal tb's they want to have visit their finds though, so not sure how to make that work for everyone to be happy.

3- Disable/enable. Log choices for your owned caches include "Owner Maintenance", "Write Note", and "Temporarily Disabled". I think the "Enable" log option becomes available if your cache is already disabled.

They are making improvements to the app over time. The latest release (version 5.2) should be available today or in the next couple days, and another release (with Personal Cache Notes) has been mentioned as being available in a few weeks. If you don't like the app now, then maybe check back over time and give it another try.

This app is taking the fun out of geocaching for me. It's aggravating just trying to get to GZ with it, so i am still using my Garmin, but that is a pain since i have to figure out where to find the coordinates. No photos unless I scroll all through the logs. I am doing less and less caching, and that's very sad.

This app is taking the fun out of geocaching for me. It's aggravating just trying to get to GZ with it, so i am still using my Garmin, but that is a pain since i have to figure out where to find the coordinates. No photos unless I scroll all through the logs. I am doing less and less caching, and that's very sad.

Spend a couple of bucks and download Cachly. Maybe that'll change your mind about what an iPhone app can do to make your experience enjoyable again.

Noticed a lot had good opinions about cachly in posts, and even said so myself (though just that some like it).

- But using android, and the other 2/3rds happy with this site's app , I haven't been able to check myself.

Attended an event this past weekend, and asked anyone who'd take the time to tell me what they thought of "other" apps.

Most use the Geocaching app, giving a "meh" on cachly, with one favoriting it.

Walking along on a close-by cache, all used the Geocaching app (I purposely didn't bring my GPSr) , and when we spent way too much time there, one asked if anyone had another app, with one saying "just cachly".

Turned out the coordinates were off 60 or so feet.

So I think it's just what you care for, like some android folks saying one not friendly to the site was perfect, and I found it mediocre.

Odd then that many generalize, and don't simply say that the app they chose was perfect for them. :)

Noticed a lot had good opinions about cachly in posts, and even said so myself (though just that some like it).

- But using android, and the other 2/3rds happy with this site's app , I haven't been able to check myself.

Attended an event this past weekend, and asked anyone who'd take the time to tell me what they thought of "other" apps.

Walking along on a close-by cache, all used the Geocaching app (I purposely didn't bring my GPSr) , and when we spent way too much time there, one asked if anyone had another app, with one saying "just cachly".

So I think it's just what you care for, like some android folks saying one not friendly to the site was perfect, and I found it mediocre.

Odd then that many generalize, and don't simply say that the app they chose was perfect for them. :)

The iPhone apps like Cachly rely on the iPhone GPS. There's no accuracy within Cachly - it's the pre-installed compass in the phone.

I cache with both - iPhone running Cachly or the official app and an Oregon 700 GPS. Accuracy is about the same on my phone or Garmin and within the phone you'd get the same accuracy on any app running. They all report the same lat/long.

Unless some app on iPhone or Android coded there open GPS functionality vs all leveraging the same OS API, I expect the same is true on any phone app regardless of platform.

The iPhone apps like Cachly rely on the iPhone GPS. There's no accuracy within Cachly - it's the pre-installed compass in the phone.

I cache with both - iPhone running Cachly or the official app and an Oregon 700 GPS. Accuracy is about the same on my phone or Garmin and within the phone you'd get the same accuracy on any app running. They all report the same lat/long.

Unless some app on iPhone or Android coded there open GPS functionality vs all leveraging the same OS API, I expect the same is true on any phone app regardless of platform.

Used a phone for caching since '05, so I understand that...

Simply stating that cachly wasn't the choice of most that day. :)

If you're referring to the cache being 60' off, it didn't have anything to do with the app, the cache was 60' off.

The new app is a huge step back. We are having great difficulty in locating caches that really should be easy to find. There is a huge learning curve with this. It use to be easy to see the notes and now you have to really search. Maybe I just haven't found it but it but is there a map where you can see the bushes, parking lots, etc. That was very helpful in some places. So far I am not impressed at all. It won't work on my husband's 3iphone. I agree with someone who said it is taking the fun out of geocaching.

I totally agree with all the negative criticisms here. It is like when work announces a "new and much better" IT platform, whereas all users were perfectly happy with the old one.

I also find it a pain to deal with trackables on this app. Not at all intuitive. You have to stumble upon it in Search. Why can't you log a "visiting" trackable when you log a cache like you could in the past?

But the biggest pain is the lack of OpenCycleMap. In mainland Europe this is by far the best map, including contour lines and much more detail than the next-to-useless Trails offline map we are currently stuck with.

I'm still not sure how to download lists for offline use. I think I have done it and then I get out of phone coverage and discover that the map isn't there, or there are no Spoiler photos.

The new map is a huge step backwards. It would be a great help if someone involved in App development would do a blog post to address all these issues clearly and honestly, with timelines for future developments.