GeoNap's B-Day Camp Trip 08/16/03 Wanna go?

GeoNap

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up and I’m going camping! It’s going to be camping, caching, beer, bratwurst, a campfire, and glowsticks. I personally can’t think of a better way to spend the day (and late into the night for that matter). icon_smile.gif Heh… heh…

If anyone is interested (or cares) icon_smile.gif you’re welcome to join me campside for all of the above! I’m thinking champoeg lite… icon_smile.gif

THE SPECIFICS: Camping the night of Saturday 8/16/03

THE LOCATION: Somewhere relatively close on the Oregon coast (I’ll let you all know the exact location tomorrow).

Tentatively (at this point) I think GeoDiva, fractal, and GeoChad will be joining me. There’s a bunch of you that I would LOVE to see out there (you all know who you are)… and a bunch of you that I would LOVE to meet. Hope to see you there!

More specifics info to follow… just wanted to at least give you all a pseudo heads up.

Let me know if you can make it… it should be a blast.

[This message was edited by GeoNap on August 06, 2003 at 11:34 PM.]

May I suggest the Nehalem River Falls Campground?

N 45 43.778

W 123 46.265

Drive-up sites are only $8, primitive sites are $5, and it's a relatively unknown place just 10 minutes from the beach at manzanita, the Nehalem Dock Restaurant, and my VERY difficult Nehalem Dock cache.

Lauren is always working on weekends now, but i'm pretty sure i could make it, especially if Pandora isn't busy that night.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Oregone, have you been there before? It looks pretty cool... they even have a group site for $25. What about a camp fire? I MUST HAVE a camp fire! icon_eek.gif Looks like that should be ok though.

I was also going to explore some 'yurt' friendly places. Though the place you suggested looks pretty 'cheap' and cheap is good.

Cheap = more beer & more glowsticks

I have indeed been there before, but i stayed in one of the five primitive sites, so I'm not sure about the group camping area. All i know is that it was almost totally empty in August of 2001, save the weird texas family that lost their 7-year-old boy--they were CONVINCED that he fell down the falls until they finally found him, alive and kicking, hiding underneathe a stump.

It's a sweet, out-of-the-way, hard-to-find place right on the nehalem river next to the falls. I stayed there for two nights in early August of '01 thinking i was going to live off of crawdads, but the pickings were slim so i ended up heading into town every afternoon for lemon-ginger salmon at the Nehalem Dock.

I can't imagine them outlawing fires there, but i suppose it could be possible. I think it's all POTBRR land, but i could easily be wrong. If someone in the area could check it out before the event, that would rock.

As far as i know, all of that POTB land is public right-of-way and there aren't any caches out there. It would be kinda cool to place a cache in honor of your birthday and the event while we we're out there.

I guess the best thing to do would be to run out there this weekend to check out the campground (and how crowded it is), and their current regulations involving fires. I'll call slinger and ask him to stop by there on his way to Trading Spaces.

I'm not sure if I can join you, but may I suggest camping on the Bayocean Peninsula. There is no campground, and it is not car camping, you will have to hike in. But it will be all yours and almost like wilderness camping.

The best evidence that this is a great spot: Navdog has placeda cache there.

Another place with a nice campground is at Cape Lookout They also have yurts and cabins.

I wanna go... But the drive up from Sedona will be a little much I think. So you all have an awesome time! And hippo birdie two ewe Geonap...

quote:
Originally posted by Fathergoose:

We or, depending on the camping situation, maybe just me may be able to go. If there are no hook-ups my geowidow will stay home, but I am always up for a camping trip.

quote:
...That frozen concoction that helps me hang on.

Jimmy Buffet

From a die hard Parrot Head it's with two T's

Yep icon_wink.gif Bubba has 2 T's...

Oh ya... Parrothead is one word icon_razz.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

Ok... here's an update. I called on some of the coastal state park campgrounds today and it wasn't good. There are NO YURTS in the whole state for the night of 8/16!!! Most coastal locations don't have any tent spots available either.

I also called about the Nehalem Falls Campground that oregone mentioned. The group site is already reserved for that weekend. The rest of the sites are first come, first serve.

I asked her if she thought it would fill up and she told me that Nehalem Falls Campground was becoming popular, and that it had been filling up. She said it was hard to tell, but that when people want to stay there on the weekend, she usually recommendeds that they get a sport early Friday morning or Thursday night! WOW!

So... I'm exploring a few things. Haven't ruled out Nehalem Falls, just not sure if we would get spots. She thought it was permissible to put 3 tents on one site, but she wasn't sure.

Anyway... I'm hoping to get this figured out soon. I'll update you all soon... hopefully get the spot ironed out tonight.

Maybe someone with an accurate count could head up Friday morning and reserve a bunch of sites? I'm sure that if we're short a site or two, people can share.

And I'm pretty sure that trying to find a campsite at places like Cape Lookout would be a lesson in futility. As we all know, some of those yurt sites are reserved nine months in advance!

I'm starting to think that may be the way oregone... I can't find anything... anywhere... I've been online... on the phone... looking in books... no luck

I think it will more than likely have to be a first come first serve camping spot like this.

I like the sounds of the Nehalam Falls Campground... my camping book rates it a 10 out of a score of 10 (which means it rocks).

So... that's kinda where we're at.

Count me in.

Try to get me site #T1 or T3, if it's available, fractal! I'll bring you a bottle of that good tequila in the plastic bottle that's made in Hood River for your trouble. That's the stuff you like, right?

quote:
Originally posted by Fathergoose:

quote:
Yep Bubba has 2 T's...

Oh ya... Parrothead is one word

That depends on if you are orthodox or non-orthodox in the church of Buffett. icon_smile.gif

Now I'm getting old don't wear underwear, don't go to church and I don't cut my hair... icon_wink.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by GeoNap:

I saw this breaking news warning about camping on CNN today... fortunately I had a recorder running and taped it.

Bwahhhhahahaha! I answered a whole morning's mail with quotes from The Information Minister. I love it!

Charlie the Crawdad wanted me to let everyone know that he had a great time camping with us at GeoNap's birthday!

Even though the next morning he woke up a little hung from too many PBR's and all the second hand smoke...don't worry - he said he won't hold it against you Oregone. icon_wink.gif

Here he is holding his very own glowstick (a parting gift from fractal) and the *Spanking Spoon*

icon_biggrin.gif ~Miraren

**If you.re not standing on the edge, you.re taking up too much room.**

[This message was edited by Sparky & Miraren on August 21, 2003 at 05:57 PM.]