Simple question

Kslotsve

When I was a kid my dad used to take my brother and I geocaching. We loved getting things and being able to pick replacement items. I haven't been geocaching for probably about 20 years and things seem to have changed a little. I have a 4 year old I want to take, but he would likely be disappointed if the cache we found only had a logbook.

How can I tell before going out and looking if the cache has items in it or just a logbook?

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I looked and couldn't find anything!

When I was a kid my dad used to take my brother and I geocaching. We loved getting things and being able to pick replacement items. I haven't been geocaching for probably about 20 years and things seem to have changed a little. I have a 4 year old I want to take, but he would likely be disappointed if the cache we found only had a logbook.

How can I tell before going out and looking if the cache has items in it or just a logbook?

Read the size listed on the cache page, and the description.

If it's smaller than a "small", then there is most likely only a log book.

Beware that some CO's like to erroneously list their caches as "small" when they really are "micros".

We've found caches where "helpful" people have replaced missing containers with ziplock bags, rendering the size description useless. Hauling around swag to find nothing but a ziplock or a bison tube when the original cache was a lock & lock can be very aggravating.

It helps to read logs by previous finders.

Some caches that are capable of holding more than just a log book have been cleaned out of any swag.

Some times you just need to emphasize elements other than finding "prizes". Being together, walking, scenery, the fun of finding the cache...maybe those should be more important than a bunch of dollar-store toys.

B.

Look for caches that emphasize being "for kids". You should read the logs in advance, to decide which to try. Sometimes a log will mention that it's full of stuff.

Even with all the research, there may be nothing inside that your kid likes. So you might be prepared to "find" a surprise... with a little sleight-of-hand. :anibad:

But as mentioned, visiting a place just to enjoy the place and to enjoy the company, that's even better.

Edited by kunarion

Some times you just need to emphasize elements other than finding "prizes". Being together, walking, scenery, the fun of finding the cache...maybe those should be more important than a bunch of dollar-store toys.

B.

We do go on hikes together and he understands that that is more important. But since he is only 4 if I explain what we are doing he will get very excited about the possibility of finding something. A logbook wouldn't be very exciting for him. If we look and they don't have anything I have full confidence he will say that's ok let's go find another one! But if I don't know what to look for to find ones with stuff in them he might lose excitement after finding a lot with nothing in them:)

Thank you for the advice!

Edited by Kslotsve

Usually anything regular-up is large enough for trade items (swag) , and there is a Kid Friendly/Recommended for Kids attribute on some.

Over time, we see swag item quality diminish, becoming "whatever's in my pocket/purse" kinda stuff.

- I think mostly new folks who don't fully read even the basics of the hobby, not realizing it's "trade" instead of take.

Along with the possibility of finding something, I believe it'd also be fun to see what items your son would leave in a cache that's in short supply of decent swag, for the next kid. :)

One vital thing to remember when caching with kids is that trackables ARE NOT "prizes" or "gifts" or swag.

Cute things attached to travel bug tags or shiny coins are meant to be moved on, not taken and kept.

Have fun with the kiddo. Hope you guys find lots of decent0-sized, clean, filled with goodies types of caches.

B.

It's not really a family-with-kids kind of game anymore.

The emphasis now is on finding lots of caches to get your find count up, statistics, grid-filling, getting electronic souvenirs.

The cache doesn't have much significance anymore, but the logsheet is still important to sign as proof that you found the cache.

The emphasis now is on finding lots of caches to get your find count up, statistics, grid-filling, getting electronic souvenirs.

The cache doesn't have much significance anymore, but the logsheet is still important to sign as proof that you found the cache.

That's certainly not the case everywhere. Some of the more active cachers around here regularly bring their kids along and most of the caches I find have swag in them - even the T5 I did a couple of days ago had something a previous finder had left! As others have said, look for the larger container sizes and the "kid friendly" attribute, and maybe focus on caches in parks or easily accessed forest trails.

1492743336[/url]' post='5649048']
1492722555[/url]' post='5649011']
1492704567[/url]' post='5648936']

That's certainly not the case everywhere. Some of the more active cachers around here regularly bring their kids along and most of the caches I find have swag in them - even the T5 I did a couple of days ago had something a previous finder had left! As others have said, look for the larger container sizes and the "kid friendly" attribute, and maybe focus on caches in parks or easily accessed forest trails.

Good to know. If I'm ever fortunate enough to visit Australia I may leave myself some time to do a few geocaches and contact you for a list of good caches. :)

1492743336[/url]' post='5649048']
1492722555[/url]' post='5649011']
1492704567[/url]' post='5648936']

Good to know. If I'm ever fortunate enough to visit Australia I may leave myself some time to do a few geocaches and contact you for a list of good caches. :)

In Oz, fortunately, we don't have saturation problems or massive power trails. We also don't have to travel very far to be in the bush/woods and neither are there masses of muggles with apps. Sure, there are the micro/nanos etc but cachers here are still placing caches which are worthwhile finding in great locations. I've done a quite lot in Jeff's area and there are many good ones there.