Corrected coordinates again

I went on an ad hoc hunt a couple of days ago. There's a mystery cache I'd solved but not found not far from home. I was passing and had a few minutes so I stopped and walked down to the area where I knew GZ to be. After a couple of minutes I decided I needed to get a better fix. No problem - I have my phone with the new app...

Of course, the new app doesn't display the caches by their corrected coordinates so although I was within 10 metres of the cache final there was no sign of the little blue dot on the screen, No problem - just zoom out.

As I zoom out more dots of many colours appeared, to be promptly replaced by bigger dots labelled 10, 15, and the like.

So, I'm close to GZ but unable to recall the cache name or GC code. I know the posted coordinates aren't far away but after a couple of minutes faffing about with appearing and disappearing dots and dots with numbers in I haven't found it. I cannot get access to the cache listing, or a compass bearing to the hide, or anything useful at all.

The moral of the story: don't use the new app for hunting mystery caches.

Please, please FIX this!

What I actually did: went home and forgot about it. Next time I'll make sure I have the cache on my GPS and my GPS in the car.

Hear, bloody hear. I too have just returned from a short hike, passed a known GZ, but could not locate the cache, given that I did not have access to the corrected coordinates. Later, when I checked, my phone cheerfully told me that I had indeed solved it. I very rarely use my phone, so I am not sure how the app works. If I had managed to locate the cache description in the field, would I have been able to navigate to it if I had hit the arrow?

+1

The only reason a geocaching app should show the original posted coordinates for a solved puzzle is because I specifically asked to view the "original coordinates" waypoint. The solved coordinates should be used for everything else.

• Upvote 1

Plesse change that to the APP.

Add Filter:

-show only solved mysterys

-Show only corrected coords

On the map show the cache Symbol at the place of corrected coords.

Add a small checkmark or a '!' to the Symbols of Caches with corrected coords.

Thanks

Greeting

Wulfman_Do

It makes finding multiple Puzzle caches hard when you cant use the app to plan out your route. I would like to know if this is something they are working on implementing and if so how far along it may be.

Yes, if they could add an option to show solved puzzle locations on the main map (app and web) I would be a happy camper... er cacher! This to me is a very important feature. I've got a group of 30 odd puzzles in a series solved, and would like to see them on a map so I can plan my route also. Some other apps can do this , so would be great if the official app could also do it.

Yes, if they could add an option to show solved puzzle locations on the main map (app and web) I would be a happy camper... er cacher! This to me is a very important feature. I've got a group of 30 odd puzzles in a series solved, and would like to see them on a map so I can plan my route also. Some other apps can do this , so would be great if the official app could also do it.

This doesn't help for the app, but may help for your immediate need of plotting a course for the puzzle series. On the website: Go to Advanced Search and search for the series caches, perhaps using the 'geocache name contains' filter or whatever filter works for the series. Once the results are listed, then click on the 'Map these Geocaches' button. That will show the solved caches at their solved location.

This doesn't help for the app, but may help for your immediate need of plotting a course for the puzzle series. On the website: Go to Advanced Search and search for the series caches, perhaps using the 'geocache name contains' filter or whatever filter works for the series. Once the results are listed, then click on the 'Map these Geocaches' button. That will show the solved caches at their solved location.

Wow! That's awesome! Thanks noncentric, that's a great tip! Really appreciate it!

On 5/5/2017 at 2:20 PM, Wulfman_Do said:

Add Filter:

-show only solved mysterys

This would definitely be useful when I'm finding a bunch of solved puzzle caches. I can filter to show only mystery/puzzle caches, and those with solved/edited coordinates will show up with a different icon, but that's a lot of visual noise to sort through when scanning the map in an area with a lot of puzzle caches.

As a workaround, I can continue to maintain a "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list, and load that list (or the PQ based on that list). But it would be nice if the app could show me only the puzzle caches with solved/edited coordinates. It clearly knows the difference, because it uses a different icon for them. But it doesn't let me filter for them.

I entered the solved puzzle coordinates on the cache page using the desktop. When I go to find the caches, they are listed on the app with their corrected coordinates until I find them, then they revert back to the posted, fake coords. But.... if I need to revisit one of those caches (say to drop a TB), I have a problem.

If I go to the "waypoint" on the cache page in the app, it shows the corrected coords, and when I click on it to navigate, it takes me to the map and shows me approaching the cache. BUT, the distance is always for the posted coordinates, not the solved coordinates.  So, I can then go back to the "waypoint" link, and it will show me the correct distance, but not on the map, which is very helpful. I shouldn't have to choose distance OR map.

If I hand-enter the final coordinates for a puzzle on the app, I can navigate to it and it will show the distance on the map. So why is it that when I correct coordinates on the website, and use that "waypoint" later, I have to choose map or distance, and can't get both on the same screen.

Another glitch I noticed... I opened a mystery/puzzle cache in the app. It turned out to be a field puzzle. I solved the puzzle, and then used my phone's browser to enter corrected coordinates. I could not figure out how to get the app to load the newly corrected coordinates. Eventually I gave up and created a new waypoint, but of course that won't be uploaded to the cache in any way, so I have to enter the solution twice going forward: once in the corrected coordinates for future reference, and once as a waypoint in the app to actually navigate to the final.

47 minutes ago, niraD said:

Another glitch I noticed... I opened a mystery/puzzle cache in the app. It turned out to be a field puzzle. I solved the puzzle, and then used my phone's browser to enter corrected coordinates. I could not figure out how to get the app to load the newly corrected coordinates. Eventually I gave up and created a new waypoint, but of course that won't be uploaded to the cache in any way, so I have to enter the solution twice going forward: once in the corrected coordinates for future reference, and once as a waypoint in the app to actually navigate to the final.

I think this is what I'll need to do in order to have the corrected coordinates and distance show on the map. Enter them as an additional waypoint (I'm fast, but it's still time consuming).