The doctor is in.

Dr. Isotope

Some of you have seen my posts in the 'Missing CD's' thread.

Some of you have seen the stickers I have started placing in caches around the area.

Some of you think you know about my plan.

You don't know anything yet.

In the Spring of 2003, everything will be revealed.

You picked up on my salt question rather quickly. I was almost impressed.

In time, I will riddle and query you, giving you an insight to my plan. Only by solving my riddles, and answering my questions, will you have any chance of success.

I will contact you in the following months. In the meantime, there's a gadget that I need to work on.

My name is Louis Friend. But you can call me Dr. Isotope.

Radio-isotopes are commonly used in medical imaging, including bone scans and heart stress tests. In these two cases, isotopes are injected into your veins and taken up by the bones to show defects or show if your heart receives enough blood from its coronary arteries to work efficently under stressful conditions.

Unlike you, Dr. Isotope, I'm not a "doctor" but have been taking some college medical courses over the last 1 1/2 years out of sheer interest. Just my first stab at your game plan.

--laurak of dasein

So the great doctor has revealed his intent.

I believe it is your error. Leaving bread crumbs for interested birds to peck upon. However, you realize we avian creatures are not easily sidetracked by your bravado.

There are others who will foil evil plans spawned by the likes of yourself. Prepare.

My friends call me "Tucson Mim".

If you seek it, I am there.

If you don't seek it, I am there.

Welcome to my home.

It spans from California to Canada.

Drop a hint and I will hear it fall

Attempt stealth and and I can assure you,

I heard your datsun b-210 door slam from

three miles away.

[This message was edited by Sassquatch on October 27, 2002 at 08:45 PM.]

Forgive my absence. I have been collecting materials others have obtained for me, and I have just returned to my secluded lab along the coast.

Some of you might think you know who I am. Let me assure you that you are wrong.

Let me also assure you that you have been lied to. Recently, several materials have come up missing in the Portland area, but they were found. Or were they?

Do you think the government would want you to know if something really dangerous was missing? Don't you think they would attempt to calm you down by telling you it was found?

Who can you trust? No one.

Dr. I

I think they may have turned our beloved fractal into deranged Dr. Isotope! Yeah, I know I'm wrong, but hey, look at some of the evidence...new signature item = radioactive marbles, has his own geiger counter, absence from the boards from late 10/25 to 10/30 afternoon while out of the state...

Just too much for me to ignore. Does geocaching now have its own 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?'

--laurak of dasein icon_confused.gif

Cesium.

It is a a soft solid that becomes liquid at just above normal room temperature.

As for it's half life, let's review the various isotopes of cesium:

Isotope - Half-life

Cs-126 - 1.6 minutes

Cs-129 - 1.3 days

Cs-131 - 9.7 days

Cs-132 - 6.4 days

Cs-133 - Stable

Cs-134 - 2.1 years

Cs-134m - 2.9 hours

Cs-135 - 2300000 years

Cs-136 - 13.2 days

Cs-137 - 30.2 years

Cs-138 - 32.2 minutes

Cs-139 - 9.3 minutes

You might also be concerned with items such as P-239 and U-235. I know I am.

As for Fractal's radioactive marbles, they are a joke. Even if he had 1000's of them, there would not be enough energy to even lightly toast a piece of bread. His Gieger counter is a cheap government surplus item from the 1950's.

Fractal and I are not the same person. Feel free to guess again, even though you will be wrong. You had a hint when I told you my name.

As for my absence, I noted that I was collecting materials that were obtained for me. Then, I was enroute to my lab along the coast. Where along the coast? When my gadget is complete, I may toss some hints your way. I am sure it is a place you will want to visit before next spring.

No more questions, please. I will contact you in the future. Within each future message will be a riddle or a question. Solve the riddle or answer the question correctly, and you will receive coordinates. What will be at these coordinates? Important information.

Even though you will fail, I wish you luck.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

You are a tough individual to follow. Hopping from location to location. Altering your identity and facial features. Clever they are, but not perfect. There are flies in your ointment. I have begun to collect the specimens.

We have but no choice but to spoil the bait for your new clear fishin' party. >V<

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope:

Fractal and I are not the same person. Feel free to guess again, even though you will be wrong. You had a hint when I told you my name.

I am not wrong when I say "Dr. Friend" is an anagram for Iron Sulfide (pyrite, fool's gold; I am no fool, Dr. Isotope.) Is this what you were looking for?

In addition, kind doctor, I am on to several clues that you or your cohorts have left in the thread. I'm not sure whether to post them here or e-mail you privately. Which do you prefer? icon_wink.gif

--laurak of dasein

Excellent, dasein. You have discovered the anagram in my name. Louis Friend can be turned in to Iron Sulfide, which is also known as Fool's Gold. This was to let you know that my identity is of no importance. So let that issue go. All will be revelaed in the Spring of 2003.

Have you seen any other anagrams? If you, or anyone, can list them all, then you will be rewarded with coordinates.

As for my cohorts:

Dr. Brakish Okun is working for me as a circuit designer, but I try to keep him out of the public as much as possible. I'm not sure I can trust him.

Voss Piety is someone who's been tracking me for a long time. He is not on my side. He almost caught me back in 1995 after I released some Sarin gas in a Tokyo subway. I don't think he's good enough to catch me.

Remember: List the correct anagrams and you will be rewarded. Not that you deserve it, but I like to play with people's minds.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

Hmm. Some might say that "Louis Friend" is "iron sulfide", and therefore fools gold, but we would also be fools not to consider that it also can made into an "unfired silo", somewhat more ominous. Or maybe "flouride sin", merely an opinion on local politics.

I dismiss nothing.

Voss Piety would be a Soviet Spy, I suppose, whom some would call a Communist. One must ponder.

Dr. Brakish Okun has proved to be a tougher nut. Either my dictionary or my patience is lacking. I feel like doctor stupid...

Has anyone seen my lead apron?

COD DRIP STOUT= STUPID DOCTOR.

Also for my good friend, Louis Friend.

Your cooking-Diner is Foul

Your employer-Foul Insider, oilier funds, foils ruined.

One for Raymond Burr- Ironside flu

One from our communist heathen friend- Our Infidels

And last but not least, one from your chemistry lab- Dire Flu Ions

There are many, many more, but I won't bore you with them. Just remember-you are being watched.

atom.gif

Peace through superior firepower

[This message was edited by The Quantum Mechanic on November 02, 2002 at 05:42 PM.]

Louis Friend = Iron Sulfide (fool's gold)

Voss Piety = Soviet Spy

Tuscon Mim = Communist

Cod Drip Stout = Doctor Stupid

Don't worry about Brakish Okun. That's actually his name.

So, now that everyone has discovered the anagrams of the names, it is time for your reward.

Tomorrow, I will post coordinates in this forum topic. One of you will need to go find the item that I will be leaving. When you get it, be sure to inform the others what it is.

After my post tomorrow, I will need to spend some time in my lab, so you will not hear from me until after Thanksgiving. Be sure to be thankful for everything you have in your life. One day, it will all be gone. Especially if I have my way.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope:

You might also be concerned with items such as P-239 and U-235. I know I am.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Of course, there is no such isotope as P-239. Another bit of misdirection?

Here's my take on it, after gleaning a bit of information from the great Internet:

U-235 = Uranium 235, a naturally occurring isotope of Uranium containing 143 neutrons and capable of sustaining a chain reaction. U235 and U238 isotopes are used in weapons. All elements with an atomic number >92 (the atomic# of Uranium) are manmade.

P-239 = Plutonium 239, a manmade element formed in a nuclear reactor from U238 by neutron capture. It has several isotopes, some of which are fissile (capable of capturing an electron and undergoing nuclear fisson), and some of which undergo spontaneous fission, releasing neutrons. Weapons-grade Plutonium is produced with >90% P239, reactor-grade Plutonium contains +/-30% non-fissile isotopes.

I certainly am learning a lot from this thread, even if it is in vain, as Dr. Isotope so often says!

If that is your real name...HMM I wonder.

Isotope, sounds like, Pope?

Don't think you have me fooled your Holiness.

We have long been aware of your goal to infiltrate the world with your mind control. And that funny little car. Tell me your Eminence, what are those glass walls really made of?

Ruminations pondered while in the shower with my Pope on a rope.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope

So, now that everyone has discovered the anagrams of the names, it is time for your reward.

Tomorrow, I will post coordinates in this forum topic. One of you will need to go find the item that I will be leaving. When you get it, be sure to inform the others what it is.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

atom.gif

It is no mistake that in my past I worked for the Soviet Union. My Communist Ideology required me to spy for the greater good. But when Gorbachev brought forth the Policy of Glasnost in 1991, my country eventually split into a Commonwealth of Independent Republics. My beloved Soviet Union no longer exists.

I am now in partnership with my new American Comrades. It is my duty to protect my new friends. I use my abilities in covert information gathering to help your government.

It is this reason I will stop Dr. I and his evil henchmen. When Dr. Isotope releases his "prize" today, I will make EVERY attempt to confiscate it before my new friends unwittingly open this gift. I will then replace it with an “updated” set of instructions.

I do not know who I can trust. I will provide a few tests in the coming months to weed out potential enemy cachers. >V<

quote:
Originally posted by The Quantum Mechanic:

we're waiting.....

Ever heard of this Dutch proverb: An ounce of patience is worth a pound of brains.

Next time, I suggest you wait until I'm ready. You could ruin it for everyone.

Even though you really don't deserve it now, thanks to the Quantum Mechanic,

I do have something for you. It's some information you should find interesting.

It's not a clue to my location or identity, but more like something I feel that I should share with you. You could even call it a 'gift'.

N45° 31.314

W122° 47.568

And I do appologize for my mistake earlier. I did in fact mean Pu when I said P.

Too many hours in the lab I suppose.

I will contact you again sometime after Thanksgiving.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

Well, I got the package from the listed coordinates. If I can ever figure out how to put pictures on here I will post them. The package is a VHS tape. I haven't watched it all, but it starts off with the emergency broadcast system alert for a nuclear threat in your area. Then it shows a trailer for the movie "The Manhatten Project" starring John Lithgow. After that are various clips of nuclear weapons detonations and a tv lecture about radioactivity. Then comes a trailer for the movie "Fight Club". After that there are large blank areas on the tape and at least 2 more trailers for Fight Club. I've only gotten half way thru the tape and plan on checking out the rest of it tonite. I don't know what the hell to make of it. If one of y'all want it to view, just let me know and we can meet somewhere for a cold one and do the tape hand off.

Dr. Isotope has a strage idea about "gifts".

atom.gif

Quantum,

What did you you do, sit at the computer and hit the refresh every minute? The "good" doctor logged the coordinates at 1205 hr and you logged your find at 1330 hr. If you subtract the drive from Hillsboro to Cedar Hills to get back, you must have found it within 45 min. of the posting. I was by there at 1430 but I guess I didn't stand a chance.

Good job. Need to dupe some copies of the tape. icon_razz.gif

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Mr. Mechanic, please view the contents of that tape with extreme caution. I was at the coordinates at 15:03 to intercept but you proved to be far too quick.

I now need to keep notes on anyone who has watched this tape, as they may unwittingly be persuaded by Dr. I to the side of evil. >V<

Pssst. Yeah you. Wanna buy a curie of cesium? I've got picocuries, curies, or you can buy my whole stash of 0.7 Megacuries.

Some of it's in capsule form, but some pellet and powder too. This is good stuff. It's not stepped on with too much strontium.

Sorry, no iodine. I just can't keep it around. It seems like I sell half every 8 days.

I can get some Pu-239, but it will cost. Laced with some tritium--the stuff will blow you away. Just call me Johnny Transuranic.

The tale I tell will give you goose bumps. (Or you may just have a nasty rash in which case you should really have that looked at.) Last night after cruising the web I clicked the X to go offline and watch the game on the tube. Not two seconds had passed when I received an instant message. As I already had clicked off I was unable to post a reply. The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up and I can't help but keep looking over my shoulder every ten seconds. The message read, " Quantum Mechanic sure seems interested in finding me." The address said dr_isotope2003. WE ARE NOT SAFE!! The doctor has infiltrated my house where my family sleeps and my dog pees. By the way, the IM was through YAHOO. I repeat the IM was through YAHOO. Lock your doors. Good luck

I've been out having a life!! icon_wink.gif

Been recovering from the Florida trip.. Didn't get any caches while there.. Didn't even get access to a computer..which sucked..

Now, my work schedule has changed around so I work during the week...except this week.

But yeah.. I'm paying attention.. I just figure I'll wait until spring to do anything about it.. heh

And Dr. I contacted me on Yahoo messenger last night when I was talking to Sassquatch... All he said was "your marbles are a joke"... Sassquatch accused me of being the Dr., but I sent him a screen capture showing him the im window...

I have an idea who it is (someone we haven't seen in a while?), and I think I know what his plan is.. but I don't wanna spoil the fun icon_smile.gif heheh

So yeah.. I'm here.. and no, I'm not the 'good' doctor.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish