Gaps in pocket querys

Indian-Jonas

Why do this cache not appear in my pocketquery? I discovered it on

location while caching. I connected to the hotel wifi to log my

caches, then discovered the gap.

Steel Arenas

PQ Fuerteventura

Best greetings Lasse (aka. Indian-Jonas)

ps. As I now have logged this among some other caches it naturally doesn't appear since my filte takes out caches I have already logged.

Edited by Indian-Jonas

Steel Arenas

PQ Fuerteventura

ps. As I now have logged this among some other caches it naturally doesn't appear since my filte takes out caches I have already logged.

So, did you answer your own question? Or do you still have a question?

Steel Arenas

PQ Fuerteventura

You need to set the parameters so that you get slightly less than the PQ size you have set. If the number of caches that match the PQ exceed the limit you have set the caches that are skipped are not predictable. This means that the caches in the preliminary list may not appear in the actual PQ. This problem does not occur when number of returned caches is less than the PQ limit.

So now I've fiddled around with different parameters, I set the center to another place, I set the limit to 1000 (Originally it renderred 324/500) I set to show all including the ones I've already logged... every new setting renderred "Steel Arenas" along with all the other. I still can't figure out why "Steel Arenas" was omitted in my original PQ. It feels unreliable when I don't know for sure all caches are listed in a PQ. The only filter I have is for the PQ to filter out the ones I already have logged. When the PQ was first generated I hadn't logged any of the caches in the area, and certainly not "Steel Arenas" that I hadn't even discovered hadn't I watched the cache map. It is truly puzzling!

Best. <_<

Edited by Indian-Jonas
I still can't figure out why "Steel Arenas" was omitted in my original PQ. It feels unreliable when I don't know for sure all caches are listed in a PQ. The only filter I have is for the PQ to filter out the ones I already have logged. When the PQ was first generated I hadn't logged any of the caches in the area, and certainly not "Steel Arenas" that I hadn't even discovered hadn't I watched the cache map. It is truly puzzling!
I recall reading an article that analyzed which caches were omitted from a Caches Along A Route PQ when there were more potential caches than the limit the PQ had set. It seems random to most people, but there was an underlying logic to it. But the logic was something that would make sense to the database designer (like GC code), not something that would make sense to the average geocacher (like distance from something).

Well! It seems no-one has a good answer to this quandary.

* My Pocket-Query allowed for 500 caches and it summed up to 324. The reason cannot be that the potential amount of caches exceeded my limit.

* Originally renderred at home before I even came to location the mentioned cache was omitted in the query, as discovered by me on location - hence my question.

It is of course very hard to me to debug this self since I have already logged the cache in question. When I now render this query all my logged caches disappear since i have that filter on. I can't make that undone.

The quandary is still unsolved. Some caches are not included when you make a pocket query. Who can tell which are omitted and why? This new feature recently introduced with making a list downloaded directly into the GPS seems for me a lot better since that is something I can do asap instead of waiting for my PQ to be generated - however if the selection module is the same as in rendering a PQ the error must appear even in this new procedure. I believe this is a matter for the programmers at GCHQ to address.

All the best wishes. Lasse (aka. Indian-Jonas)