How long to get new cache approved?

dlguyer

11 hours ago, SquatchTheWorld said:

In her second response to me, the reviewer said that I had placed the cache too close to an element of a mystery cache that is not visible on the map (I have premium).

Just to clarify that: Of course you can see the blue questionmark on the map and that's where a difference between normal members and paying members (better word to premium membes) might occur. But for an obvious reason the map does not show where the final cache is hidden. That's what he meant - you do not see the final position of the mystery cache.

The cache is listed at bogus coordinates which don't affect any new caches as there (usually!) isn't hidden anything. But the final box or any non-virtual stages in between do affect new caches. And that's what isn't shown on the map.

Just another thing: always remember that the reviewers do their reviewing job in their free time. They don't get paid and usually have a full time job next to it. So the reviewer's answer might take some time - and if there is no recognizable question (as in this case as Keystone points out) they might not answer at all.

8 hours ago, niraD said:
On 4/16/2017 at 7:46 PM, dlguyer said:

I was hoping to hide one and then be able to use it in a class about 4-5 days later.

FWIW, when I've hidden caches for geocaching classes, I've hidden temporary geocaches, just for the class. These temporary caches have not been listed on the geocaching.com site. This works just fine.

The other approach I've used has been to take new geocachers to a park or other open space for a geocaching hike, and to have them search for existing caches. In that case, none of the caches have been newly hidden for the cache. I do try to choose caches that I'm pretty sure will be good for beginners though (either because I've already found them, or because information in the cache listing suggests that they will be good for beginners).

You realize your responding to a post from 2017, right?

12 minutes ago, Preston082008 said:

Hi, I just hid my first ever geocache, and I was wondering how long it would take for it to be published?

From the Help Center article Cache review process, "Typically, review begins within 7 days of the date that you submit your cache."

But that's just the beginning of the review process. If there are issues, then you'll need to address them, and the volunteer reviewers will need to review your changes.

50 minutes ago, Preston082008 said:

Thx for your help??

Also note that you should have received email from geocaching.com letting you know that your cache listing was submitted, and including information about the 7-day goal. If you did not receive that email, then you may not have configured your email address correctly on your geocaching.com account, or something may be blocking the email (check your junkmail folders).

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, niraD said:

Also note that you should have received email from geocaching.com letting you know that your cache listing was submitted, and including information about the 7-day goal. If you did not receive that email, then you may not have configured your email address correctly on your geocaching.com account, or something may be blocking the email (check your junkmail folders).

Yes I did thank you

• Helpful 1

Hello callofthehunt, and thanks for hiding your first cache!

I see that your cache received an initial review note less than five hours after you submitted it for review.  That's pretty fast!  The service level expectation is that a volunteer will look at your page within seven days.  Quite often, we beat that.  Some tips: 

1. Asking 20 minutes after submission about how long it will take will not make the review happen any faster.
  2. Plan your response to the reviewer's question to be complete, all in one note - not a separate reviewer note for each thought you have.  Think of your response log like it was an email, not a text message.
  3. Reviewers do not physically visit cache locations prior to publication.  As geocachers, we might visit them later, of course!  Asking your reviewer to come see for himself how the cache is hidden will not help in resolving the questions asked.
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1