How long to get new cache approved?

dlguyer

The time for a new cache listing to get approved is totally controlled by your local volunteer reviewer. I place caches several states and have had caches reviewed by a half dozen reviewers. In SE Mass it typically takes a week for one reviewer and a couple days for another. I've had caches approved in 24 hours and others that took several weeks to "negotiate". If you have a time constraint it's probably worth reaching out to the reviewer and explaining the need for speed. They may or may not respond, but if you need something, it's probably better to ask than to hope.

edexter

How long does it normally take to get a new cache approved? I was hoping to hide one and then be able to use it in a class about 4-5 days later. Am I deliriously dreaming that it would be done that soon?

Just a friendly comment from someone who is not your reviewer.

Do you have a second account? You have no pending caches awaiting review under this account.

11 minutes ago, Emmie21206 said:

I hid two geocaches from today and yesterday. How long does it normally take. I really wish I could have them done because I will be going on vacation soon. 

Thanks for hiding caches, and welcome to geocaching!  Your two caches are now properly awaiting review.  Both were submitted today.  One of the Washington Community Volunteer Reviewers will be along to have a look at them.  The service goal is to provide an initial review within seven days, although most volunteers will usually beat that for most caches.

Caches with complete information (included in the initial reviewer note) and no listing guideline issues are more likely to be published quickly than caches that have issues or questions.  I looked at your two caches.  One does not have any information provided in a private reviewer note.  The other one has a helpful note explaining that the cache is hidden on a path off Rhododendron Lane heading to the elementary school.  In addition to the listing guideline making caches at or near school properties "off limits," the coordinates for your cache are nowhere near the school or Rhododendron Lane.  The posted coordinates put me in the front yard of a private residence on NW Finn Hill Road, which I suspect may be your own home coordinates.

Since this thread was bumped today, I wanted to post an updated link to the Help Center article about the cache review process.

Thanks for you help. There is a path that connects to the school parking lot in the back to a side walk on Rhidendron Lane. The side walk is open to public. On the sidewalk you may  you may see path. But that is just a marking point saying you are close. I have done my research and it looks like the two I have hidden are up to code and are aloud to be where they are. Thanks for your help again

Sincerely,  Emmie 

You're very welcome, Emmie. 

I see that your reviewer has looked at both cache submissions -- on the same day as submitted!  The Washington volunteers are terrific.

You can now address the issues noted by your reviewer.  When finished writing a reviewer note for each page, remember to re-submit the cache for review.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, MargretB said:

I have been trying get approval of my first cache. Due to a communication issue permission  was evidently not detailed enough and my reviewer archived it.  How much detail is required and how do I resolve this ?Contact with reviewer thru email didn't work? 

Once your cache page has been archived due to inactivity, it's best to send your reviewer an email via their profile page.  If it's been well over a week since your email, you can write to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center.  Mark your inquiry for the "Appeals" team.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I submitted a cache for review today and the email saying it had been submitted arrived at 11:59 am.  The e-mail saying that the cache had been published arrived at 1:31 pm.  One hour and 32 minutes later.

I don't think you could improve on our local reviewers.

Yep, my one on Friday wasn't quite as quick, it took three hours :).

46 minutes ago, Popcornfan2 said:

okay thanks but will my geocaches still be published before 7 days?

It depends.  First, there is no promise anywhere that any cache will be published before 7 days. There is only a general policy that the cache will get its first look-at by 7 days.  After that it totally depends on what the issues are and how they can be resolved.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Hello Sashaz55,

You did submit a cache on February 9th, but the coordinates are terribly wrong.  You've mixed up the latitude and longitude, and also the hemispheres.  You want to enter NORTH 41 degrees for the latitude, not the longitude, and WEST 71 degrees for the longitude, not the latitude.  Your current coordinates are in Antarctica (South 71 and East 41 degrees).

Because the New York reviewers divide their territory according to coordinates, your cache submission likely slipped through the cracks.  If you fix your coordinates, I'm sure it will be looked at quickly.

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 2

Hello hunterh304, and thanks for hiding your first cache!  Your cache is properly awaiting review.  You submitted it yesterday, so please allow some time for the volunteer reviewer for your area to get to it.  We're having nice weather here in Pennsylvania, so "spring hiding season" has definitely begun, and volumes are up!  That's a good thing.

I hide my first few Geocaches along a river trail in my town. I did that on Monday. It doesnt appear anyone has seen them. Just for my own knowledge how do I find out who my local reviewer is? (Putnam, CT) and is it bad that I did several along the trail? I wanted to pump them out in one walk LOL. But now I wonder if thats not good?

10 minutes ago, whatbunny said:

I hide my first few Geocaches along a river trail in my town. I did that on Monday. It doesnt appear anyone has seen them. Just for my own knowledge how do I find out who my local reviewer is? (Putnam, CT) and is it bad that I did several along the trail? I wanted to pump them out in one walk LOL. But now I wonder if thats not good?

See the Help Center articles Contact your local reviewer and Cache review process.

Hello!  I checked, and the caches you hid were submitted properly for review on the 27th/28th.  Coming off a holiday weekend, it's possible that your friendly local reviewer is a bit behind.  

There's nothing inherently "bad" about a series of caches along the same trail.  From a listing guidelines perspective, so long as they are spaced at least .1 miles apart, comply with any landowner permissions, and are hidden appropriately, a series doesn't pose any special issues.  

• Helpful 3
4 minutes ago, lyd27 said:

I have set up my geocache a few hours ago and I really need it publishing as I set it for my dad’s birthday and He’s always wanted one so I set it up and only just read that it can take up to 7 days!

That's IF your area is even allowing new cache publications right now. Are they?

9 minutes ago, lyd27 said:

I have set up my geocache a few hours ago and I really need it publishing as I set it for my dad’s birthday and He’s always wanted one so I set it up and only just read that it can take up to 7 days!

Unless I am mistaken, the last cache published near your last cache found was March 22, 2020.

19 minutes ago, lyd27 said:

Looks like it won't be published any time soon. 

United Kingdom, Regional Policies

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom

Updated 23/3/20

Suspension on Publishing All New Caches (COVID-19)

The UK is now in lockdown due to the pandemic. The UK reviewing team has decided to stop publishing all new caches until such time as these restrictions have been lifted. Any caches in the queue during the lockdown will be disabled with a note to resubmit when the situation improves.

We will keep a close eye on the situation and post updates here as they occur.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
UK Reviewers

• Helpful 2
50 minutes ago, lyd27 said:

Looks like you're only option now is to put out a private geocache for your dad! My kids have made those for me, for special occasions.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

It might be a good idea for GCHQ to put a CORVID-19 alert on the Hide A Cache page. With a link to their regional wiki https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Home

I am a bit surprised (well not really) that HQ didn't add a warning about some areas banned publication of cache on the hide a cache page.

Too bad I don't even have a regional wiki for both of my usual geocaching area...

• Upvote 3

Is the publishing of new caches suspended in the US as well?  I hid my first cache over two weeks ago now and have not heard anything.  I see the notice about the suspension in the UK and was wondering if the same was being done here in the US because of COVID.  Thanks.

Cache and Event Cache publication policies in the USA are determined on a state-by-state level, based upon applicable governmental "Stay at Home" orders.  In Connecticut, a state especially hard-hit by COVID-19, new caches and events are not being published at this time.  The same is true for the other New England States, as well as NY and NJ.

• Helpful 2

Hello! I placed my second geocache recently, and I made all the edits the reviewer suggested. I do have one question, however. In her second response to me, the reviewer said that I had placed the cache too close to an element of a mystery cache that is not visible on the map (I have premium). I asked for clarification on where I should place the cache and how I'm supposed to know where these elements are so I don't place a cache near one in the future. No response. Any advice?

9 minutes ago, SquatchTheWorld said:

Hello! I placed my second geocache recently, and I made all the edits the reviewer suggested. I do have one question, however. In her second response to me, the reviewer said that I had placed the cache too close to an element of a mystery cache that is not visible on the map (I have premium). I asked for clarification on where I should place the cache and how I'm supposed to know where these elements are so I don't place a cache near one in the future. No response. Any advice?

The only way to be sure to is to solve all the mysteries and complete all the multis.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, SquatchTheWorld said:

You haven't found any mystery/multi-caches yet - give it a try!  My first cache placement ran into the same thing.  Too close to the final of a puzzle cache.  So we looked up the nearby puzzle, (less than 2 miles as the crow flies but about a 3-4 mile drive) and sure enough, the final was right across the street from where we wanted to place our cache.  Bummer!  We rethought things, scoped out another location that was within the guidelines, and got it published quickly.

I enjoy puzzles, challenges, and multis!  And, by solving the nearby ones, you have a much better feel for the area and where you CAN hide your own caches.

Edited by CAVinoGal
45 minutes ago, SquatchTheWorld said:

Hello! I placed my second geocache recently, and I made all the edits the reviewer suggested.

I do have one question, however. In her second response to me, the reviewer said that I had placed the cache too close to an element of a mystery cache that is not visible on the map (I have premium).

I asked for clarification on where I should place the cache and how I'm supposed to know where these elements are so I don't place a cache near one in the future. No response. Any advice?

There's no difference  between a basic or premium member placing caches, other than being a PM at the time a pmo cache is placed.   

We always felt the best way for us to find stages of any cache is to look for them.    :)

In the Help Center on this subject,  the site even says, "Solve nearby geocaches, including Mystery and Multi-Caches, to discover hidden stages. If you see a Mystery Cache with posted (bogus) coordinates within 2 miles of your proposed location, its final stage may be nearby. Many Multi-Caches also start and finish in the same area."   

It also says, "If you’re still unsure if your location is available, ask a local Reviewer to confirm." 

1 hour ago, SquatchTheWorld said:

I placed my second geocache recently, and I made all the edits the reviewer suggested.

- snip - 

I asked for clarification on where I should place the cache and how I'm supposed to know where these elements are so I don't place a cache near one in the future.

No response. 

Have you ever read  Geocaching 101, or skimmed through the Help Center ?

No offense, but sometimes we hear of folks being a little less-than-pleasant with volunteers when there are issues, and we're only hearing one side now.  :)

Also possible I guess that the Reviewer has been burned once with people battle-shipping hides (just like the game..), not having to "solve" anything to find the cache.

They just keep asking,  " will these coordinates work ?" , "how about now ?" - until they know where that hide's at.

If that might be the case, show that you're doing some work yourself by going for those caches, and maybe Reviewers will feel more comfortable with you in the future.

- Or...It could also very-well be that the volunteer Reviewer is very busy, ill, or on vacation, and they'll get back to you...    ;)

I read your note on your cache page and I took it as general venting.  Telling you to hide your cache at a precise location is not a service I'm able to provide.  Reviewers do not physically visit the site to check it out prior to publication.  I can see an open spot on a map, but I have no idea whether there's a tree stump, hollow log or pile of rocks that would be a good place to hide a cache.

Likewise, your reviewer is not going to tell you where the final location of the mystery cache is located.  That would open up the Reviewer to criticism from the other cache owner for "spoiling" their puzzle cache.  If you're nice, you may be able to wangle a hint, like "moving to the southwest would be a good idea" or maybe even the name of the conflicting cache.

Once you've figured out the conflicting mystery cache, you can move yours to a place that's at least 528 feet away.  Then, edit your page and re-submit for review.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
On 4/16/2017 at 4:46 PM, dlguyer said:

I was hoping to hide one and then be able to use it in a class about 4-5 days later.

FWIW, when I've hidden caches for geocaching classes, I've hidden temporary geocaches, just for the class. These temporary caches have not been listed on the geocaching.com site. This works just fine.

The other approach I've used has been to take new geocachers to a park or other open space for a geocaching hike, and to have them search for existing caches. In that case, none of the caches have been newly hidden for the cache. I do try to choose caches that I'm pretty sure will be good for beginners though (either because I've already found them, or because information in the cache listing suggests that they will be good for beginners).