OT - Attn: Race Fans!

Bodoni

There are three upcoming racing events to satisfy your lust for speed:

This Sunday, Aug 24th, Mt. Tabor, the Portland Adult Soapbox Derby, 10am-4pm. I'll be there!

Next Wednesday, Aug 27th, kart racing at HotTrack. Anyone interested? Please post either way. How about 7pm? Too early?

Upcoming -- but soon -- kart racing at Pat's Acres. See rental kart rules and pricing here. It's just a little south in Canby. When should we do this? They don't do rentals on race days. After work? On a weekend?

Somehow I knew you were going to say that. And don't even try to play the injury sympathy card -- I'm immune to that trickery. But Sun thru Tue for which event? We don't want to do HotTrack on a Tuesday because that's their LeMans night, but Pat's Acres is only closed on Monday.

Awwww...man, HotTracks on the 27th sounds FUN!! But that's also the night Steve Burns has a live concert at Dante's for his new album "Songs for Dustmites".

(Anyone here have kids that used to watch Blues Clues? That is Steve, but he is not playing "kid" songs.)

Hmmm... HotTracks... Steve Burns... HotTracks Steve Burns

icon_confused.gif ~M

**If you.re not standing on the edge, you.re taking up too much room.**

Also, don't forget...

The Pacific Coast Dirt Late Model series is at Banks Speedway this Saturday night. These are the big boys of dirt racing and really haul some @ss.

Also on the schedule are the Bombers, Street Stocks, Cascade Hardtops and Pro-4 modifieds.

<shameless plug>

icon_cool.gif If you do come out, be sure to cheer for my team, keevan motorsports. We run car #21 and #31 in the bombers.

</shameless plug> icon_wink.gif

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.

[This message was edited by Gloom on August 21, 2003 at 09:55 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

That's also the night that Mars will be REALLY CLOSE. Telescope party later? icon_wink.gif

Yow! I forgot about that being the closest night. A telescope party sounds great -- where? My back yard is open for business, but I think I have too much light nearby. Suggestions? [PRAYING]Clear skies, clear skies, clear skies . . . [/PRAYING]

quote:
Originally posted by Sparky & Miraren:

Hmmm... HotTracks... Steve Burns... HotTracks Steve Burns

Don't forget to include the intangibles, like the feeling of The Tungsten Jihad! T-boning you into the wall. That's got some value!

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

Also, don't forget...

Race cars that are in control and still send dirt flying . . . I think I'll have to check that out! This Saturday is bad, but it sounds like fun!

quote:
Originally posted by Gloom:

_Also, don't forget..._

Oh yeah, $2 off discount coupons are available at Thrifty Auto Parts stores, if you're, well... Thrifty. PLUS, fans will have a chance to win a 3-lap ride in a two-seat Dirt Late Model.

quote:
Originally posted by Bodoni:

Race cars that are in control and still send dirt flying . . .

Well, in control is a relative term. To quote one of the worst racecar movies ever made: "Loose is fast, and on the edge of out-of-control". However, they DO fling lots of dirt (eyewear is recommended).

----

Never let Common Sense Get in the Way of Determination.

[This message was edited by Gloom on August 21, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

[This message was edited by Gloom on August 21, 2003 at 10:05 AM.]

Must resist icon_mad.gif the urge icon_mad.gif to claim icon_mad.gif I was the fastest icon_mad.gif

I forget how the order went in the first two races, except that I was third. I did win the third heat though (in a car with no brakes). But it's not about the winning of course, it's about the close racing. MarkL32, fractal, my sister, and I are all very close, so you really have no choice but to a c c i d e n t a l l y T-bone the roadblock in front of you from time to time. In addition to the above there were two non-cachers, two of the fastest racers on the circuit (Beth and Jill (I think)), and about a dozen bachelor-party-goers dressed as women to get the ladies' night pricing. And it worked!

As for your foot. You could get in the car -- but it's gas on the right, brake on the left. How much pressure can your foot handle?

So, on to the real karts. I called Pat's Acres to see what the best deal is. Ever-vigilant to take care of the Tuesday Night Caching Crew, I asked about Tuesday first. It turns out that that's league night. The deal is as follows:

The 'Spec Racer League Night' racing series will begin Tuesday night, July 22nd, and run for the next 6 Tuesday nights. This series is a 4 man team racing series utilizing our Rental Karts. Cost is $40 per driver per night. Each driver will get a 12 minute practice session, a 6 minute qualifying session and a 12 lap main event. You do NOT need to have a full team to sign up. We have many drivers to team up with. Teams will be competing for team honors and individuals points will be kept as well. Practice will be open from 4:00-6:00pm, qualifying starting at 6:15 and the main events starting around 7:00pm. We should be done racing by 8:30 or so. This league is open to drivers 14 and over.

She said that this is the best deal since you're on the track three times. If you're too late to get in the practice session she said she'll also honor the session after the main event. In addition to the $40 you have to buy a license if you don't already have one and they're prorated down to $8.

If we don't do a Tuesday, she said any other weekday is wide open at normal pricing (plus $8 for the license):

45mph kart 12 min session $20

70mph kart 10 min session $35

Racing ends around 8-8:30pm (dusk, this time of year).

What say ye? September 9th? Another day that week or the week before? Please reply if you're interested . . .

For more info.

Looks like my schedule will be changing for the next month. Not exactly sure what my hours will be, so I'm gonna have to hold off on committing to anything right now. And I can drive a truck with manual transmission so I should be able to use the brake (not that I would need to...ha!)

-Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.-