Date problem

After 8 years with Waymarking I'm more and more unhappy from common problem in many categories, where date (birth, death, construction... et cetera) is one of input data fields. Category leaders used date field in fixed m/d/yyyy format, predominantly as required field. This fixed system is absolutely annoying in many and many cases - for example in Grave of a Famous Person category you can not input date lower than 1000 AD. So I was recently in deep s***s with person with Date of birth / Date of death in period 400-500 AD. And that fields were both REQUIRED, without complete of them you can not send waymark for approval. Similar date problem is in dozens other categories...

So, I'm appealing to officers and leaders of categoreies where is this system used, change it to free text fields, without ordered and fixed date format... I'm using this free format in my categories without any problems and it offers more freedom in date publishing (e.g. ca 1300, 300 BC, beginning of the 9th century - which is common situation in subjects from medieval/ancient periods, where the exact date of the event is mostly unknown and we are under four digit year 1000 AD barrier). IMHO I think, that majority of these categories was taylored only for US users, where known event horizon begins in ca 1650... :) ). But Waymarking is global and Old World has really longer history.

Mike, Dorcadion Team

Edited by Dorcadion Team

That's a GREAT suggestion. The present date fields are, indeed, irksome. But let's extend the request to do away with the multi-field address inputs. It's so much easier to copy and paste an address in one fell swoop, as opposed to five separate copies and pastes. I'm such a clumsy fingered typist that I'll copy and paste at each and every opportunity, as opposed to typing anything.

Just typing this I had to do about 5 6 7 8 9 edits :(

Keith

Changing the format of a date field to free format like this would probably caused loss of the data in this field on every existing waymark in the category.

And why do posts I make, totally unformatted, cause this gibberish to appear in my posts?

Changing the format of a date field to free format like this would probably caused loss of the data in this field on every existing waymark in the category.

And why do posts I make, totally unformatted, cause this gibberish to appear in my posts?

&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&

I don't know how, but you have imbedded carriage return and line feed (i.e. end of line characters) in your posts, which are being "double escaped" by the system.

Never mind. I know what's going on, but when I try to explain it, everything gets translated into carriage returns and line feeds instead of what I'm seeing above.

Don't know how to fix it either. I just know what's happening.

Each ampersand #13; is a carriage return, and each ampersand #10; is a line feed. To "escape" that, it is replacing each ampersand with: ampersand amp;

Sorry, but if I replace the word ampersand with the actual thing, the post formatting does what it shouldn't.

Edited by MountainWoods

After 8 years with Waymarking I'm more and more unhappy from common problem in many categories, where date (birth, death, construction... et cetera) is one of input data fields. Category leaders used date field in fixed m/d/yyyy format, predominantly as required field. This fixed system is absolutely annoying in many and many cases - for example in Grave of a Famous Person category you can not input date lower than 1000 AD. So I was recently in deep s***s with person with Date of birth / Date of death in period 400-500 AD. And that fields were both REQUIRED, without complete of them you can not send waymark for approval. Similar date problem is in dozens other categories...

So, I'm appealing to officers and leaders of categoreies where is this system used, change it to free text fields, without ordered and fixed date format... I'm using this free format in my categories without any problems and it offers more freedom in date publishing (e.g. ca 1300, 300 BC, beginning of the 9th century - which is common situation in subjects from medieval/ancient periods, where the exact date of the event is mostly unknown and we are under four digit year 1000 AD barrier). IMHO I think, that majority of these categories was taylored only for US users, where known event horizon begins in ca 1650... :) ). But Waymarking is global and Old World has really longer history.

Mike, Dorcadion Team

I may be completely wrong, but the coders should be able to make date fields more "tolerant". I sometimes have a problem with leading zeros (for example "12/01/2008" wouldn't be accepted, but "12/1/2008" is ok). Changing the date fields to text fields is quite a big change, but it should be rather easy to change the rules for date fields.

And: I totally agree to BK-Hunters' request for ONE address input field.

Andreas

And all this time I thought DougK had come up with a totally unbreakable and inscrutable code and was passing top secret messages to the enemy :ph34r: through the forums. Turns out maybe his return key sticks.

Keith

I happened to look at my geocaching profile today and all this gunk was stored in my Forum Signature. I cleared it out.

I happened to look at my geocaching profile today and all this gunk was stored in my Forum Signature. I cleared it out.