Gps for low price?

Jare_jt

Hello. I have been geocaching for a few months using ONLY maps and memorization. This is becoming increasingly difficult. I do not own a phone. I wish to purchase a GPS, but have a 20$ budget. Now I know there won't be any good units for this price, but does anyone know of a working gps for this price? Thanks, Jare.

You might save up for a used Garmin handheld.

Or if you have friends and relatives who have smartphones, they may have an older version of a phone laying around. You could install a GPS App and enter coordinates manually, or install a Geocaching App that's designed to work offline, no phone plan needed. Use wifi where you can. I have "obsolete" used iPhone and Android phones, and use Apps on them, wifi only. An App, borrowed or gifted old phone, and wifi Hotspots, could be pretty inexpensive for you. There'd be money left over to buy a lot of cool swag to put in the caches! :anibad:

The pros and cons of phones or hiking GPSrs, and how to use them, are found in other threads.

Edited by kunarion

You've hidden three caches. The finders didn't say anything about coordinates being off. Did you borrow a gps? Or use a GPS app?I see that 2 of your caches were archived by a reviewer for lack of communication. When you temporarily disable a cache, it's good to give a reason why. Also you have about 4 weeks to fix it and enable it. Or you can respond with a note explaining why you need more time. If you don't plan on fixing and enabling, you should archive your own cache.

Those 2 caches were muggled, and I do not have the means to replace them. I found the coordinates by placing them, and remembering my surroundings, then when at home, using an online coordinate map to find the coordinates of the cache. Not the most efficient.

If you can't afford the GPS unit now, consider caching with someone else who has one. This can be a fun social activity. Maybe someone already caching you meet at a caching event, or a friend who'd like to try it and can load the app on his or her phone.

By the way, your technique for finding the cache placement coords was clever and resourceful.