Earth Day

Quantum Mechanic

1)Mary S Young State Park needs ivy removal.

2)Kyle at THPRD would probably dig it if we helped out that park up by the intersection of 217 and 26. You know--that one with all the weird metal disks strewn about.

3)My side of the esplanade is always in need of a little lovin'.

4)I could park my CRX in Makaio's cul-de-sac, invite all the pdx cachers over and tell them to bring paint. Then, the lot of us could paint the whole thing up like a nouveau hippie-mobile. After it dried, we could go from park to park removing graffitti and beer cans. That way, we could improve both the area parks AND my drab sun-bleached honda.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

But all those metal disks have been such a great topic of conversation... if they're all gone, then I'll need to come up w/ some new material for all the caching get togethers...

Whatever happens, we're good for it as long as it's after 5:00pm... yeah right. We'll keep an eye on the developments.

Hard work often pays off after time, but procrastination always pays off now.

Hi all,

First off, I wanna thank all of you who have kept in contact and alerted us to various 'unique' icon_biggrin.gif situations found near Geocaches in the THPRD parks (homeless encampments, the zillion metal plates in one of our parks, etc.)

I've also put in a plea to my boss to do an Earth Day-ish clean-up in the park with the metal plates (Ridgewood View, near the intersection of Hwy 217 and Hwy 26). I should get the thumbs up or down in the next week or so.

There are LOTS of things happening in the Portland Metro region on Earth Day (April 26)and THPRD has an Earth Day celebration going on at the Nature Park on the Saturday before Earth Day (April 19). I suggest we do a clean-up on the Saturday following the regional Earth Day celebration. That is, I and other Geocaching people could do the clean-up on May 3 (thus the characterization of this as an 'Earth Day-ish event). This would also coincide with the brand new No Ivy Day in Portland.

I figure with just a few people and a few hours we can get the majority of the trash outta there. We can provide the garbage bags and I'll look into a dumpster for the site. And if we get enough people we can also work on the ivy crawling up the trees in the SW corner of the park. I'd do advertising to the neighborhood and the school, but would also post an ad on this forum.

I'd like to hear how many of you would be intersted in such a project. Might I bribe you with bagels, coffee, juice, etc. icon_biggrin.gif?

Thanks,

Kyle S (THPRD Guy)

There's going to be Professional Bull Riders there? icon_eek.gif That'd be cool!

Anyway, I'll try to make it if I'm not tied up working on my race car.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

[This message was edited by Gloom on March 05, 2003 at 04:03 PM.]

So was a date, time, and/or place ever decided for this event? Hard to tell from all the logs what is really happening. Are we going to actually pull ivy? Everyone needs to get in some practice for Champoeg II!! icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Maps-R-Us on March 23, 2003 at 10:37 PM.]

I'm still all up for the ivy removal at mary s young state park. my willingness to get up that early on a saturday morning proves my dedication to this, doesn't it?

I figure that if we don't hear from kyle in the next week or so, it's mary young all the way, since they are one of the few state parks openly asking for volunteers.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

I'm still all up for the ivy removal at mary s young state park. my willingness to get up that early on a saturday morning proves my dedication to this, doesn't it?

I figure that if we don't hear from kyle in the next week or so, it's mary young all the way, since they are one of the few state parks openly asking for volunteers.

With a little more information, We just might be able to do this one.

Byron

quote:
Wow! Old avatars are back in style!
Thank goodness it appears curable, StrongBad icon_razz.gif (seems to "correct" once you log in).

Anyone in the Eugene-area up for something on Earth Day?

f~g

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"