The bicycle attribute

I live in the area where mountain biking started (the mountain biking hall of fame is just a few blocks away). Trail access is a hot topic around here - with a lot of tension between various riders and hikers. I don't need to get into the details of that, but the first point (legal access to bikes) is important.

I don't see why the second point (steepness) is a factor. There are some places that go beyond the limits of either my abilities or my bike, but I meet riders on those trails. My daughter used to be on a mountain biking team and regularly rode routes that I would not consider. I don't pay much attention to attributes, but if any of the caches in those areas have a biking attribute, it would be appropriate - in fact, given that there are some trails legally closed to bikes (see point one), I can understand that the attribute might be helpful. It's up to me to decide if any location is within my skill level (whether hiking, kayaking, or biking) and make my decisions from there.

I don't see why the second point (steepness) is a factor. There are some places that go beyond the limits of either my abilities or my bike, but I meet riders on those trails. My daughter used to be on a mountain biking team and regularly rode routes that I would not consider. I don't pay much attention to attributes, but if any of the caches in those areas have a biking attribute, it would be appropriate - in fact, given that there are some trails legally closed to bikes (see point one), I can understand that the attribute might be helpful. It's up to me to decide if any location is within my skill level (whether hiking, kayaking, or biking) and make my decisions from there.

I agree that one should be able to use a bike attribute even on difficult bike trails. As a courtesy to less elite bicyclists, it would be great if the cache owner mentioned the trail's difficulty in the cache page description.

The same also could be said for off-road vehicles, horses, cross-country skis, scuba, etc.

When hiding a cache and using the bicycle accessible attribute, please be known nod and consider (1) if the trail is open/legal for bicycles, and (2) too steep for the average rider. Thanks.

1. Why use the bicycle accessible attribute if the trail is NOT open/legal for bicycles?

2. One could look at the D/T rating of the geocache.

Sorry, but I'm missing your point for proper use of attributes and D/T ratings. Kinda like why the app limits basic members to caches with a 1.5 D/T rating or less. Experience is the best teacher. :)

When hiding a cache and using the bicycle accessible attribute, please be known nod and consider (1) if the trail is open/legal for bicycles, and (2) too steep for the average rider. Thanks.

You didn't say...did you have a situation where the bike attribute was incorrectly used?

Here, there are issues with bikers riding trails where they're not allowed, and I can kinda see if someone not familiar with area rules sees them, thinking a "bike cache" is okay.

- Hopefully someone posts otherwise in a Write Note, or the first couple of find logs sets that straight.

"Steepness" can simply be hinted at in the terrain rating.

If the CO's rating is incorrect, a cacher can state their opinion in the find log too. :)

Well, a cache that is hidden simply somewhere where you have to go upstairs would be a T1.5 in my eyes. Getting upstairs with a bike is much harder, so you can't really guess it from the T rating.

On the other hand if I go caching by Mountainbike I use an appropriate map beforehand anyways, so I don't really get what the intention of the thread is.

Regarding your first point, I totally agree. You wouldn't want to end up like these guys :rolleyes:

Marines confiscate bikes and hand out tickets...

Whoops.

Fences sure come in handy sometimes. Fort Bliss, Texas, has a perimeter fence* around the entire property, and it covers 1,12 million acres. So does its bigger cousin up the road at White Sands Missile Range. I somehow doubt that Miramar MCAS, at about 2% that size, does not.

*There are public roads that cross through the maneuver area that aren't fenced on either side (for good reason -- it's a maneuver area, requiring free movement. But there are signs posted throughout telling travelers to stay on the hardball road.

In the UK, neither horses nor bikes should go on public footpaths (and horses on bikes are definitely frowned upon) ; they are however allowed on bridleways (which have blue arrows instead of yellow on signposts, and are denoted by dashes instead of dots on maps). If I place a cache by a public footpath I use the No Bikes attribute. It is a pet hate of mine to find a public footpath churned to oblivion by bikes and horses.

1. Sorry for the typo in the initial post. It was due to auto-correct and inadvertence. It should have said "be kind."

2. When I plan an outing, I look for trails where bikes seem to be allowed, i.e. the bicycle attribute is marked. I assume others do, too. It is disappointing to arrive and see the trail is marked "no bikes." I was just asking people to think whether bikes are permitted before using the bike attribute.

3. Terrain ratings can be ambiguous. A "T-4" could mean a long but flat ride or a short, very steep, technical one. It could also mean hard all the way or easy until the very end. Again, I was just asking people to think whether a normal person could ride the trail, not whether it takes an elite athlete.