GDAK app: offline maps

Randy58

I have a Garmin Montera GPSr and I use the GDAK app. It's a great app but I am having problems with their offline maps. The maps have no detail and I would like to obtain a fairly detailed map with streets and some topo lines. Any suggestions? Am I using it in correctly and missing a feature that is already built in?

I don't know GDAK, but if Mapsforge maps work, then so will OpenAndroMaps. But big difference: OAM include topo contours; MF don't.

Both are based on OSM and kept fairly up to date.

Here's an example of OpenAndroMaps in Locus:

e579b4ea-8c9f-42a4-b3a1-d10150991dd2_l.jpg

(Truth in advertising: slope shading like this requires app support; it's not part of the maps.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Locus is a map- and caching app for Android phones. It's packed with features, and as far as I can tell, is a complete Garmin replacement. I can't say enough good things about it.

Oh wait - you said you have a Monterra. That IS Android, and it will run Locus (or GDAK, or the house-brand app). See here: http://debaere.blogspot.com/2014/03/garmin-monterra-review-part-3-android.html

And do look at OpenAndroMaps before you waste too much time with MapsForge. You wanted topo lines, right?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Though this is an older thread, this might still help some people...

I just installed a map of Sardinia (Italy) for use with GDAK in offline mode. Copied the Sardegna_L.map from OpenAndroMaps into the GDAK directory and selected "MapsForge (offline)" from the menu - works, but does NOT show the contour lines...

Here's the trick: download the Elevate4.zip map style from OpenAndroMaps. Put all files in that zip into the same directory the map is located in (or you might use a subdir like "Elevate", for instance). Then in the GDAK menu "Map settings", tap "Map theme" and select "external". In the following file chooser, navigate to the Elevate.xml file and select that one. Now just exit all menus - and voilá, you got contours as well.

Just keep in mind that resizing that display needs quite a lot of processing power which means you will want to have your charged power bank available in the field as well :D

Happy hunting,

Marco

• Upvote 1