"Took it to" logs

JoesBar

First, I tried to search for this topic but the search would not accept the words "it" and "to."

So, I enjoy releasing TBs. In my write up for my TBs I request that folks simply log where they find the TB and where they leave it. I specifically ask that they do not use the "took it to" log for every cache they visit. Yet, many ignore my request and the TB visits, sometimes pages, of caches that the holder finds. How is this happening? Is there an automatic log for TBs? I use both the phone app and my computer to log TBs I grab, and I don't have automatic logs for every cache I find. So I'd like to know both how to stop folks from doing this, and make sure I don't turn on a feature I do not want.

Thank you.

You can't stop Visit logs without locking down the TB (and preventing Drop and Retrieve logs also).

You could message the cacher that has the TB and ask them not to Visit the TB, but that depends solely on the goodwill of the cacher.

You could delete the logs, but that's time consuming, and you might annoy the cacher.

*shrug*

There are some apps that allow cachers to automatically log visits to every cache they find. The official Geocaching app currently does not allow for auto-logging TB visits. See HERE for a recent thread where a cacher asks for the auto-log feature to be added to the Geocaching app.

There have been some forum topics about this, but your search of the forum would need to look for "visit logs" instead of "took it to" logs. For example:

• Helpful 1

Good info so far. :)

First off, the reason you couldn't search "it" or "to" is the system needs at least three characters.

Entering "visit" in search would have kept you busy a while... :laughing:

With many cachers not reading cache pages anymore, I'd bet less bother with a trackable's.

Many don't even bother to read the little laminated mission cards that often accompany them.

- Why they head South instead of North, or leave an area, when that trackable was a key to solving a local puzzle.

The Visit option was meant to replace a time consuming drop/retrieve, and (to me) seems to now be a misused function.

We know of a few who Visit their own trackables as a record of caches done with their kids (in case they ever want to separate accounts), since (playing fair) all kids might not be present at that time. :)

- Today, a "visiting" trackable's often held hostage, sometimes for months, and with no pics, you may not know if they're even holding your property any longer.

Just a few months ago, a cacher talked of his trackables and an issue he had.

He had none. He was visiting caches with other's property...