Unpublished caches show in bookmark list

Landsbanki

The changes that have been happening to geocaching.com have included a new function to add unpublished caches to a bookmark list. I thought this was great as it meant that caches in a series would be on the list at the point of publication. However, they appear on the list when unpublished. If the link is clicked them it says cache unpublished but people can still see the title. So a word of warning to anyone else using this feature, if you don't want people to see upcoming cache or if the title contains information for an as yet unpublished puzzle cache you might not want to add them until after publication. This looks like a bug that hopefully will get fixed at some point as it's a great idea but not if it lets people see unpublished cache titles you want kept secret until publication. What is also odd it that the bookmark list is absent when I look at the old style bookmark list page but present on the new style bookmark list page. Project GC also cannot see it. Some people are telling me they can see the list including the unpublished caches on my caches and others are saying they cannot see the list at all. I think this is being caused by the fact that my bookmark list is saying it is set to shared on the old style listing and public on the new style listing. Changing one isn't changing the other. So there appear to be various bugs with this feature. I've also now been told that others have the same issue with setting the list to public on the new format not changing it on the old format. In addition myself and others are finding some bookmark lists set to public on the new format are now completely absent from the old format.

Edited by Landsbanki
Some people are telling me they can see the list including the unpublished caches on my caches

Viewed on the website, yes. I pulled a PQ of your public shared list, which came with 3 unpublished caches.

I suspect that those who, "cannot see the list at all", are viewing via app (?)

Another solution is to not make the bookmark public until you're ready for it to queried / seen by the public ;-)

I agree that this is a bug introduced with the new list function, in that you cannot bookmark an unpublished listing from the "old" bookmark list page at all.

Aside, once any listing is bookmarked, whatever its state: published, archived, unpublished, published then retracted, a PQ of that list will return the usual gpx - it's always been this way. Mostly this shows up for people with finds on retracted caches (retracted means published, then returned to an unpublished state). A My Finds query returns the complete gpx of the listing.

some bookmark lists set to public on the new format are now completely absent from the old format

setting the list to public on the new format not changing it on the old format

Windows machine Firefox with or without Greasemonkey scripts enabled:

On computer only, not via app, I'm unable to duplicate either of these issues

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Some people are telling me they can see the list including the unpublished caches on my caches

Viewed on the website, yes. I pulled a PQ of your public shared list, which came with 3 unpublished caches.

I suspect that those who, "cannot see the list at all", are viewing via app (?)

Another solution is to not make the bookmark public until you're ready for it to queried / seen by the public ;-)

I agree that this is a bug introduced with the new list function, in that you cannot bookmark an unpublished listing from the "old" bookmark list page at all.

Aside, once any listing is bookmarked, whatever its state: published, archived, unpublished, published then retracted, a PQ of that list will return the usual gpx - it's always been this way. Mostly this shows up for people with finds on retracted caches (retracted means published, then returned to an unpublished state). A My Finds query returns the complete gpx of the listing.

some bookmark lists set to public on the new format are now completely absent from the old format

setting the list to public on the new format not changing it on the old format

Windows machine Firefox with or without Greasemonkey scripts enabled:

On computer only, not via app, I'm unable to duplicate either of these issues

Thanks. I use Windows and Edge. I suspect it is an issue with only some browsers as some people were telling me they could see my bookmark list fine and others couldn't see it at all. I have now got the list set as public on both formats which means everything now seems to be working fine.

The other bizarre thing is two from my bookmark list were published today. One is called Dark Cache 59: Borg Cube. On the bookmark list it is showing as Dark Caching 58: Borg Cube which is an old title that I edited several days ago. When you click on Dark Caching 58 you get Dark Cache 59!

Edited by Landsbanki

The other bizarre thing is two from my bookmark list were published today. One is called Dark Cache 59: Borg Cube. On the bookmark list it is showing as Dark Caching 58: Borg Cube which is an old title that I edited several days ago. When you click on Dark Caching 58 you get Dark Cache 59!

The name is in the bookmark list. The list does not show the actual name of the cache. So if you added it to the list when it had the old name, it will continue to have the old name even if the cache name is changed. If you don't want that, you can edit the bookmark or delete it and readd it. Bookmarks have always been that way.