Oregon 600 - 3 easy questions (haha)

K7CJS

1 - How do I mark a geocache as "found?"

2 - How can I get a reading on how far I am from a cache and the update as I get closer?

3 - Can I use a regular cell phone charger in the car to keep my Oregon charged while driving from cache to cache?

Now wasn't that easy???

Probably not as too many posters say "do this" but don't say how to get there....so please, give me exact menu steps to get there starting from the main menu.

Thanks!!

1 - How do I mark a geocache as "found?"

2 - How can I get a reading on how far I am from a cache and the update as I get closer?

3 - Can I use a regular cell phone charger in the car to keep my Oregon charged while driving from cache to cache?

Now wasn't that easy???

Probably not as too many posters say "do this" but don't say how to get there....so please, give me exact menu steps to get there starting from the main menu.

Thanks!!

1. go to the main menu, press the 'geocaching' icon, then press 'log' then press 'found' - or something similar.....

2. on the map page, I use the dashboard 'Small data fields' and make one of them 'Distance to next'

3. yes, so long as you have rechargeables in the unit.....

This is not true.

If you have regular rechargable batteries in the unit, they will not charge unless you press the switch in between the batteries.

The Garmin battery pack will charge in the unit because the design of the pack presses the switch when it is installed in the unit.

1. go to the main menu, press the 'geocaching' icon, then press 'log' then press 'found' - or something similar.....

2. on the map page, I use the dashboard 'Small data fields' and make one of them 'Distance to next'

GREAT!! except I can't find "distance to next" - I have "small date field" - how do I get from main menu to the screen that says that?

Great Scott! is right - I actually 3D printed a little button presser that sits in between some Eneloop Pro batteries for mine, they offer at least a 100% improvement over the junk Garmin supply.....

Keep in mind that the charging circuit in the Oregon is fairly unsophisticated and will degrade the life of the batteries more than if you charged them separately using a smart charger.

Personally, I use Eneloops charged separately, but also plug in my Oregon so it runs off the car's power while driving. It isn't charging the batteries, but at least it isn't draining them.

GREAT!! except I can't find "distance to next" - I have "small date field" - how do I get from main menu to the screen that says that?

Once you've set the dashboard to "Small data fields", tap on each of the four fields on the screen and you can select which type of data to display in that spot. "Distance to next" should be under the distance category. I also use the "Pointer" data field, which adds a little red arrow pointing toward the spot you're navigating to, like a little compass arrow.

Great Scott! is right - I actually 3D printed a little button presser that sits in between some Eneloop Pro batteries for mine, they offer at least a 100% improvement over the junk Garmin supply.....

Keep in mind that the charging circuit in the Oregon is fairly unsophisticated and will degrade the life of the batteries more than if you charged them separately using a smart charger.

Personally, I use Eneloops charged separately, but also plug in my Oregon so it runs off the car's power while driving. It isn't charging the batteries, but at least it isn't draining them.

Once you've set the dashboard to "Small data fields", tap on each of the four fields on the screen and you can select which type of data to display in that spot. "Distance to next" should be under the distance category. I also use the "Pointer" data field, which adds a little red arrow pointing toward the spot you're navigating to, like a little compass arrow.

Still no luck - I go to Maps -> Dashboard and select Small Data Fields and when I do it automatically goes back to the map screen: Config, Orientation, Dashboard, Guidance Text, Map Speed and Advanced Setup. There's no 4 fields to pick anywhere and there's no "Distance"

Still no luck - I go to Maps -> Dashboard and select Small Data Fields and when I do it automatically goes back to the map screen: Config, Orientation, Dashboard, Guidance Text, Map Speed and Advanced Setup. There's no 4 fields to pick anywhere and there's no "Distance"

Oh wait - I think I found it - it's four boxes!!...got it..............thanks so much!!!!

Oh wait - I think I found it - it's four boxes!!...got it..............thanks so much!!!!

Once you have set up the "small data fields" to your liking, make sure you tap the "hamburger menu" at the right lower corner and "lock data fields" so you don't inadvertently change them when you have the 600 dangling on a lanyard.

Also, if you have personalized your Oregon you might want to backup the "profiles" folder to your computer so you can restore your settings if something goes wrong. I even have copied my geocaching profile to geocaching_BU and put it in the profiles folder so if my original profile gives me problems while out I can switch to the backup profile in seconds and have all settings back.

Sorry for my memory (post stroke person). I found the editable 4 boxes but now I can't find them again. I go to Maps - Dashboard - Small Data Fields then it pops back to Dashboard. Please, in steps, how do I get to the 4 editable boxes again. Sorry and thanks so much!!!

I find the process of removing the batteries such a nuisance, that I'm willing to sacrifice some of their lifespan for convenience. I think a pair of Eneloops isn't much over $10, so money well spent IMO..... :)

Once you have set up the "small data fields" to your liking, make sure you tap the "hamburger menu" at the right lower corner and "lock data fields" so you don't inadvertently change them when you have the 600 dangling on a lanyard.

Also, if you have personalized your Oregon you might want to backup the "profiles" folder to your computer so you can restore your settings if something goes wrong. I even have copied my geocaching profile to geocaching_BU and put it in the profiles folder so if my original profile gives me problems while out I can switch to the backup profile in seconds and have all settings back.

I never knew about the 'lock data fields' option - handy, as they often change when I forget to lock the screen, and have inadvertently locked the data fields before in the same way, needing to do a full reset to fix it (a few times!).... thanks.....

Another Oregon hint for the OP - don't forget to lock the screen.....

I recently lost my little 3D-printed-button-pusher that allowed me to charge the eneloops in the Oregon. So I have been using a proper smart charger externally.... What I've noticed is the useful charge in the batteries has increased a lot compared to the Oregon's in-device charging. The other day, we cached all day, and still had 4-bars at 4pm. I only wish the batteries were easier to remove.....

I hook my Oregon 600 to my computer using a USB cable, and then answer Yes to a question on the Oregon on whether to go to "Mass Storage".

I then find a geocache I want to visit (being a Premium Member) and press on the GPX File button on the cache page. The GPX file I then copy onto the Oregon in the \Garmin\GPX folder.

I then unplug the Oregon from the computer and start the Oregon.

I then select the Profile Change icon and select the Geocaching profile. I then get a geocaching icon that will display a list of nearby caches. I select one and press on the Go button to start navigating to the cache.

After I have found and logged the cache I then press the blank button on the side of the Oregon to change to the cache page, where there is a Log button. Press it and then select Found.

/Mogens