Field Notes webpage - dates have changed

noncentric

Not sure if this is related to another topic another topic I recently posted about, but it does seem to have surfaced around the same time.

(1) On the field notes webpage, some drafts now show a date of "09 April 2017" when they should show a date of "08 April 2017 hh:mm:ss". The odd thing is that if I click on "Compose Log", then the 'Date Logged' text box is auto-filled with the correct date "04/08/2017".

(2) When I upload field notes from my Garmin GPSr, then the date is shifting ahead. Dates and times had previously been correct when uploading field notes via Garmin's geocache_visits.txt file upload. Somehow, that process is now faulty. As noted in #1 above, the auto-filled date is correct when the "Compose Log" link is selected.

For example (#2): The following 2 entries both auto-fill with "04/11/2017" after clicking on the "Compose Log" link, but on the field notes webpage the former shows "11 April 2017" and the latter shows "12 April 2017". If these were uploaded yesterday, they would both show the correct date of "11 April 2017 hh:mm:ss". I am in PST.

GCD,2017-04-11T15:00Z,Found it,"" --> webpage shows "11 April 2017"

GCD,2017-04-11T16:00Z,Found it,"" --> webpage shows "12 April 2017"

Hopefully, this is just a temporary glitch? It would be extremely unfortunate and frustrating if uploading field notes directly from Garmin geocache_visits.txt files continues to produce incorrect dates.

I'm noticing the same issue as of this morning. In particular, I like to timestamp my logs, and the time stamps are now missing from the field note page. I can still read them directly from the geocache_visits.txt file, but I have come to rely on having them included with the field notes, and if that were to go away, it would be rather inconvenient. Hopefully this is just a temporary issue...

Not sure if this is related to another topic another topic I recently posted about, but it does seem to have surfaced around the same time.

(1) On the field notes webpage, some drafts now show a date of "09 April 2017" when they should show a date of "08 April 2017 hh:mm:ss". The odd thing is that if I click on "Compose Log", then the 'Date Logged' text box is auto-filled with the correct date "04/08/2017".

(2) When I upload field notes from my Garmin GPSr, then the date is shifting ahead. Dates and times had previously been correct when uploading field notes via Garmin's geocache_visits.txt file upload. Somehow, that process is now faulty. As noted in #1 above, the auto-filled date is correct when the "Compose Log" link is selected.

For example (#2): The following 2 entries both auto-fill with "04/11/2017" after clicking on the "Compose Log" link, but on the field notes webpage the former shows "11 April 2017" and the latter shows "12 April 2017". If these were uploaded yesterday, they would both show the correct date of "11 April 2017 hh:mm:ss". I am in PST.

Hopefully, this is just a temporary glitch? It would be extremely unfortunate and frustrating if uploading field notes directly from Garmin geocache_visits.txt files continues to produce incorrect dates.

Hi there!

This has been resolved now. Drafts listed on the Drafts page will be listed in UTC. When finalizing your draft through "Compose Log", the date will be the timezone of the cache. (Soon, the drafts listed on the Drafts page will also be shown in the timezone of the cache - keeping consistent with the rest of the website). Thank you!

Hi there!

This has been resolved now. Drafts listed on the Drafts page will be listed in UTC. When finalizing your draft through "Compose Log", the date will be the timezone of the cache. (Soon, the drafts listed on the Drafts page will also be shown in the timezone of the cache - keeping consistent with the rest of the website). Thank you!

I just tested this out, and the timestamp is still missing for me. As far as I can tell, the only change from before is the addition of "UTC" to the column heading.

Having the date/time shown in UTC on the Drafts page will be inconvenient, but I can live with it for now if it's going to be fixed in the near future (presumably as part of the date/time changes already announced to the API partners?).

Good to hear something is finally moving. :)

Just checked to verify (ignoring the missing timestamp)

And yes, uploading from Geosphere, dated as of April 11, 11:52pm, the field notes page shows the date April 12 (presumably with UTC 7:52am) - but the compose page shows the proper April 11 date.

I also verified that for me, the date on the Field Notes is only bumped at 7pm, meaning it is properly treating the uploaded note as UTC-5 so the 7pm note shows as next date 12am.

This is a huge success! I am teh happy.

antenna.gif

ETA: I can see where there could be an interesting 'twist' to this - logs are not treated as of the timezone of the user, meaning that if I cross a timezone while caching, and my device's timezone is not adjusted (phone or GPSr) then after uploading, the notes may appear out of order (my note will be stored as say, GMT-6 while the cache is located in GMT-5, but the website wouldn't know this so an hour shift will occur in those cases). Here, the problem is unavoidable and technically on my end.

And if when logging I want to force a different date, then as usual, that's also up to me.

So IMO, this is finally Very Good :)

Edited by thebruce0

Hi there!

Thanks for the quick resolution and response.

Any chance you've seen my question about the other recent change to the Field Notes webpage? :D

No timestamps on Field Notes webpage