Short-lived Themed caches

Vikan

What's the opinions on short-lived (< 6 months) themed caches, hidden as part of special occasions, and then archived?

Eg. larger caches hidden during christmas, decorated with santas, christmas lights and what not.

Should all hides be as permanent as possible, or is it ok to free the space for new experiences at a later point?

What's the opinions on short-lived (< 6 months) themed caches, hidden as part of special occasions, and then archived?

Eg. larger caches hidden during christmas, decorated with santas, christmas lights and what not.

Should all hides be as permanent as possible, or is it ok to free the space for new experiences at a later point?

Guidelines are that geocache placements should be for a minimum of three months.

It's not clear where you intend on placing a "larger" cache, with "christmas lights and what not", but let's assume it's on your own property, where you can keep an eye on it, and run an extension cord out from the house to power those christmas lights/what not's you're talking about. I'd vote for using the same Listing page and rotating the decorations depending on the season. You'd build up an interesting history over the years, and probably accumulate more favorite points with that strategy. Sounds like an awesome idea for a Trackable Hotel, where folks could leave TB's and coins with relative security.

I know of a themed cache that is (was) only available for a few weeks every year. Reading the listing is the only way to know if the cache is (was) active. It gets (got) plenty of favorites too.

You might work with your reviewer to get it done. It's unique/special caches that makes it interesting to go out caching, give it a try... If it doesn't work out, an LPC will be published without a problem :ph34r:

There is a long tradition here of hiding Christmas-themed caches, but they stay in place, often for years.

First: The cache would of cause be active for the minimum amount of time specified in the guidelines. (3 months)

During December, there are several communities creating 'Christmas Calendars' where one new cache is published each day from 1st to 24th.

I'm not sure how fun it would be if it was the same cache being activated each year vs new caches with new decorations and new hiding places. Especially since there are competitions running for who gets the most FTF's, and who logs the most caches that are part of this calendar.

First: The cache would of cause be active for the minimum amount of time specified in the guidelines. (3 months)

During December, there are several communities creating 'Christmas Calendars' where one new cache is published each day from 1st to 24th.

I'm not sure how fun it would be if it was the same cache being activated each year vs new caches with new decorations and new hiding places. Especially since there are competitions running for who gets the most FTF's, and who logs the most caches that are part of this calendar.

So leave the old caches, and place new ones in new hiding places the following year. There's no need to remove the old ones just because they're Christmas themed.

This is the interesting question.

The guidelines tell us:

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

Now, most caches I've found (and all I've hidden) are "permanent". By that I mean they were hidden with the intent to be there indefinitely. Some last many years, others only a few months or even less; if there are issues or changes of circumstance.

But the guidelines only require 3 months. So I see nothing wrong with hiding Christmas caches which only last 3 months if that's what you want to do. I would not want the "norm" of caches to be ones only lasting 3 months, that would lead to a much larger percentage of setting "new" caches in the same place as caches were in the very recent past. But adding some "extended temporary" caches which meet the guidelines seems an interesting idea to me.

So leave the old caches, and place new ones in new hiding places the following year. There's no need to remove the old ones just because they're Christmas themed.

I agree.

As the OP seems to be thinking of stats now as well, which cache type (longevity or temp) do they believe will accumulate the most FPs?

There is a christmas theme cache every year in my area (e.g. GC6XG8G).

A living tree is decorated in the woods during christmas time by the owners and the finders, the decorations are removed after January, but the cache stays in place for about a year. Until now, I always wanted to go for it on christmas day, but never found the time. I have never considered looking for it in summer or after the decorations are removed.

I agree.

As the OP seems to be thinking of stats now as well, which cache type (longevity or temp) do they believe will accumulate the most FPs?

Around here, a cache that was only active from December through February would have very few finders, even with an event or whatever attached.

To echo what others have said, there are a number of holiday-themed caches around here. They stay in place all year. Sometimes they're found on or around the holiday they are themed for. Sometimes not.

On the other hand, there are parks and open spaces that require caches to be moved (or removed) after a year, to prevent excess wear and tear on any one cache location. I don't think there's much difference between this practice and replacing/refreshing a holiday-themed cache every year.

I'd vote for using the same Listing page and rotating the decorations depending on the season. You'd build up an interesting history over the years, and probably accumulate more favorite points with that strategy.

What a great idea! And since the cache would be different from visit to visit, people could find it again and again, logging each find! Oh, wait...

I'd vote for using the same Listing page and rotating the decorations depending on the season. You'd build up an interesting history over the years, and probably accumulate more favorite points with that strategy.

What a great idea! And since the cache would be different from visit to visit, people could find it again and again, logging each find! Oh, wait...

If each visitor to the cache signs the logbook the cache is different on every single visit. You probably consider that sufficient difference for people to log multiple times. Sounds silly to me.

If each visitor to the cache signs the logbook the cache is different on every single visit. You probably consider that sufficient difference for people to log multiple times. Sounds silly to me.

This thread is not about multiple logs, there is already a train wreck for that.

Around here, a cache that was only active from December through February would have very few finders, even with an event or whatever attached.

Since when is having "very few finders" a problem?

Since when did my comment indicate that it's a problem? And what is the purpose of selectively editing out the context of my comment?

Going back to the actual context, which has been suspiciously/maliciously removed for reasons I can't possibly fathom, if the OP is interested in stats and FPs, number of finders is a consideration. It's not a problem.

Since when did my comment indicate that it's a problem? And what is the purpose of selectively editing out the context of my comment?

Going back to the actual context, which has been suspiciously/maliciously removed for reasons I can't possibly fathom, if the OP is interested in stats and FPs, number of finders is a consideration. It's not a problem.

I didn't edit anything out, it's your COMPLETE post. I just didn't re-quote what you already quoted.

Also : "suspiciously/maliciously removed"? You might try a thin hat ;) "They" are not after you.

The amount of finders wasn't even raised, so back to the actual context: There's no reason not to place themed caches, work with the reviewer. The cache I mentioned could only be logged a certain time of the year, no container/log or even some WP info at other times.

I didn't edit anything out, it's your COMPLETE post. I just didn't re-quote what you already quoted.

Also : "suspiciously/maliciously removed"? You might try a thin hat ;) "They" are not after you.

The amount of finders wasn't even raised, so back to the actual context: There's no reason not to place themed caches, work with the reviewer. The cache I mentioned could only be logged a certain time of the year, no container/log or even some WP info at other times.

Context is often very important for the understanding of a point : for instance, given the context I can guess that your

"thin hat" was supposed to be "tin hat" , which means a soldiers protective hedgear, but that you most likely meant "tinfoil hat", which is a way of denigrating someones point of view by implying mental instability whilst pretending lightheartedness.

Context, without which your suggestion is perhaps fashion advice?

Context is often very important for the understanding of a point : for instance, given the context I can guess that your

"thin hat" was supposed to be "tin hat" , which means a soldiers protective hedgear, but that you most likely meant "tinfoil hat", which is a way of denigrating someones point of view by implying mental instability whilst pretending lightheartedness.

Context, without which your suggestion is perhaps fashion advice?

Context is particularly important when the user writing the reply deliberately misinterprets the point for no apparent reason.

Context is particularly important when the user writing the reply deliberately misinterprets the point for no apparent reason.

My guess would be that the misinterpretation wasn't deliberate, so one wonders why you're deliberating misinterpreting it as being deliberate.

So after "suspiciously/maliciously removed" now it's "deliberately misinterprets the point for no apparent reason" ? I wonder what your problem is.

Anyway, I think it's time to populate the "ignored users" in order not to reply to anything you write (unless quoted by someone else). Bye now B)

I'm fine with them. A cache is a cache. Might have been a little more special to find at the time of context, but I'll get the spirit to the best of my ability. :anicute:

I do not care for stats.

Of cause I do not mind FPs, though, and it's not much fun in having caches without visitors.

But I do not keep an eye at the numbers.

My experience with christmas caches, is that the locals will log them as soon as possible to get a stake in the local competition, and then it will be more or less alone from then on.

Since it's quite many caches around already, and a 'multi-seasoned' cache wouldn't be logged more than once by each cacher anyway, I would rather open up the space for 'other adventures'.

Since someone expressed their lack of understanding for the idea of putting out a cache if it wasn't the plan to maintain it 'forever', I wanted to hear others thoughts on the matter.