Release Notes (Website: Send to Garmin) - April 10, 2017

We for sure wouldn't like to be forced out of using GSAK. It presents an almost unlimited opportunity to "massage" caches downloaded from PQs supplied by geocaching.com.

As an example, our Etrex gps' can't show the "attribute" icons presented on Geocaching.com so a quick macro "massage" in GSAK converts the icons to text which it then includes in the "logs" section when downloading to our Etrex gps'.

That was one of the improvements we requested in our original message which included a few "upgrades".

sktqch

Garmin Express may be a wonderful application but the version that is linked on the webpage will not install on my version of Windows 7 loaded on my Desktop. I think that is a basic problem with the software and this Magic Button feature. It should support all versions of Windows 7 and above. As a long time user of GSAK I don't see the need for something like this that is not even going to install on computers.

This thread and the blog posted about this on the 10th of April. I just today received the email that announced it, with the title "We’re telling Premium members first!", this morning (the 12th). :rolleyes:

my faithful GPSmap 60 is also not supported, this really is my favorite gps for navigation when caching.

Good to know. Now I don't have to waste my time downloading something, and finding out it doesn't work for me.

Will have to stick to bookmarks and pq's I suppose.

B.

I have Garmin Express installed but I'm not seeing the Garmin option on my lists.

Are you on the 'new' Lists page or the 'old' one? The new Garmin option is only on the 'new' Lists page.

Yes, I'm on the new lists.

Hhmmm. That is strange. You should see the option regardless of whether you have Garmin Express installed. It won't work without Garmin Express installed, but the "Send to Garmin" option should still be available on your 'new' Lists page. Do you see any of these menu options?

gc-sendtogarmin.png

What web browser are you using? Hopefully a Lackey will be able to assist you here, or maybe try the Help Center.

I have Garmin Express installed but I'm not seeing the Garmin option on my lists.

Are you on the 'new' Lists page or the 'old' one? The new Garmin option is only on the 'new' Lists page.

Yes, I'm on the new lists.

Hhmmm. That is strange. You should see the option regardless of whether you have Garmin Express installed. It won't work without Garmin Express installed, but the "Send to Garmin" option should still be available on your 'new' Lists page. Do you see any of these menu options?

gc-sendtogarmin.png

What web browser are you using? Hopefully a Lackey will be able to assist you here, or maybe try the Help Center.

OK. Thank you I have it now. I didn't know what the little circle with the dots was so I clicked it and there it was.

This thread and the blog posted about this on the 10th of April. I just today received the email that announced it, with the title "We’re telling Premium members first!", this morning (the 12th). :rolleyes:

my faithful GPSmap 60 is also not supported, this really is my favorite gps for navigation when caching.

Good to know. Now I don't have to waste my time downloading something, and finding out it doesn't work for me.

Will have to stick to bookmarks and pq's I suppose.

B.

I've not gotten the email yet, but only learned about this feature in the British facebook group. Oh well.. I'll probably be using it. I have three ways of populating my GPS: download single GPX files for small trips and add them manually, create a list with caches and make a PQ, then load manually, or make a huge PQ around a travel area and then load manually. Thus this would save me the second method for day trips with a bit more caching. Now if I could get the actual 'send to GPS' button back I'd be a very happy bunny.

fortunately the way through GSAK still works as expected.

so for me this is not the long awaited solution, sorry.

I would really apprecuiate a solution that works for all those devices that were supported by the old communicator.

Garmin Express may be a wonderful application but the version that is linked on the webpage will not install on my version of Windows 7 loaded on my Desktop. I think that is a basic problem with the software and this Magic Button feature. It should support all versions of Windows 7 and above. As a long time user of GSAK I don't see the need for something like this that is not even going to install on computers.

Garmin owns DeLorme; will this feature be modified so that DeLorme units will be included?

We're sorry that Garmin Express does not support some devices and operating systems. Unfortunately, which devices and operating systems are supported is out of our control. We do know that Garmin is working hard to offer support in Garmin Express that is as broad as possible.

Moved this to this forum from the other one, to keep the discussion going.

OK, so we usually dump to GSAK, increase number of logs to 30, use a couple of macros to massage attributes, add personal notes and images and clears the old list on the gps (if we want). Using the new "dump to Garmin" feature on the new LISTS system, ends up with the new list appended to the old list already on the Garmin (not good) and dumping only 5 logs, not adding attributes in text format, not adding personal notes and not adding images. Lots of improvements needed. Any hope of that in the near future?

The old list system tells us when a newly added cache is "already on the list", and tells us that the cache was successfully added. The new list seems to have left these features out. That means lots of backtracking and checking to see if the "add" was successful or duplicated.

We'll stick to the old list system for now pending some of the improvements mentioned above.

sktqch

A fix will be released soon that was preventing the "Saved" confirmation from showing after caches are added to a list. As with the old method of adding to lists, the new methods do not add duplicate listings of a single cache to a list

I've not gotten the email yet, but only learned about this feature in the British facebook group. Oh well.. I'll probably be using it. I have three ways of populating my GPS: download single GPX files for small trips and add them manually, create a list with caches and make a PQ, then load manually, or make a huge PQ around a travel area and then load manually. Thus this would save me the second method for day trips with a bit more caching. Now if I could get the actual 'send to GPS' button back I'd be a very happy bunny.

We wish we could fix the existing Send to GPS feature for single caches, but unfortunately that feature relies on browser plugins that are not longer supported by modern web browsers. (See the Garmin Communicator Plugin page or this article from Google for more info.) When we asked Garmin to partner with us on a replacement for the functionality that was previously delivered by the Garmin Communicator Plugin they decided that Garmin Express was the best option for their part. We hope that we can create an experience that is just as easy as what was possible with the Communicator Plugin.

I've always liked the concept of lists and have used them quite a bit. This defiantly has promise. I've looked at it and already had Garmin Express on my computer. Seems to work well but I haven't done the final step of actually loading the file on to the GPS. I like I can add multiple lists without affecting whatever else is on the GPS. I am wondering how they will look within the file system for clearing them off the GPS after use.

One thing that would be great to add to lists is feedback to the list owner that someone had rated and/or left a comment on their list. It might help clean up some of the personal lists people make public on especially Mega events.

I like the hooks into search & lists for this. Since most of the backend work is done to create a GPX to send to the GPS from a list, would it be possible to add another option on the list page "Save as GPX" in addition to "Send to GPS"? I'd rather manage my GPX files on my GPS myself so I'd like to download the GPX from the list page and bypass the Garmin plugin. I can create a PQ from the list page, but that's a bit more cumbersome than just downloading the GPX from the list page.

I like the hooks into search & lists for this. Since most of the backend work is done to create a GPX to send to the GPS from a list, would it be possible to add another option on the list page "Save as GPX" in addition to "Send to GPS"? I'd rather manage my GPX files on my GPS myself so I'd like to download the GPX from the list page and bypass the Garmin plugin. I can create a PQ from the list page, but that's a bit more cumbersome than just downloading the GPX from the list page.

This way, we who do not have Garmins can play, too.

+1

I agree with the "save as gpx" comments above. It would allow me to generate different gpx files to save to individual micro SD cards so I could change areas in the field, while on trips. I would really rather be allowed to access different gpx files on my gps, but I won't hold out much hope for that function from Garmin.

That's assuming I'd be allowed to increase the number of included logs to 30, add personal notes and include image files along with them.

sktqch

Edited by sktqch

+1

+2

I was hoping this feature would be a replacement for the Send to GPS button which was so handy when trying to add a newly published cache when heading out the without having to wait for a PQ to generate. I am a Premium user with a Garmin 64S and updated Garmin Express. I created a test list, added a cache to it that is not currently loaded on my GPS. I hit to Send to Garmin button and it went through the process and gave me the "You're Up to Date" message, but I cannot find the cache from the test list on my GPS. Thoughts?

I've also noticed you restored the regular links in the field notes. Thanks! (+1/2 = -6 1/2)

Tc

On closer inspection: We've lost the log time in the field notes. A pity because it made it easy to link the timestamps of my photo's to the logged caches. (-0.1 = -6.6)

Tc

I just noticed that there is a little animation and "Saved!" that pops up when adding to a list on the website. Nice to have a visual confirmation -- thanks for adding this feature.

I'm pretty sure the saved notification was displayed in the initial new list implementation and then inadvertently suppressed during a subsequent site update. It seems to have been added back *after* the April 10th release and the Send to Garmin functionality this thread was about.

I've also noticed you restored the regular links in the field notes. Thanks! (+1/2 = -6 1/2)

Tc

On closer inspection: We've lost the log time in the field notes. A pity because it made it easy to link the timestamps of my photo's to the logged caches. (-0.1 = -6.6)

Tc

It was mentioned in this thread that the timestamps will be coming back.

I just noticed that there is a little animation and "Saved!" that pops up when adding to a list on the website. Nice to have a visual confirmation -- thanks for adding this feature.

I'm pretty sure the saved notification was displayed in the initial new list implementation and then inadvertently suppressed during a subsequent site update. It seems to have been added back *after* the April 10th release and the Send to Garmin functionality this thread was about.

Yay! Glad to see the confirmation message has been restored. It was reported as an issue last month.