Easier to Cache

It seems to me rather odd that I can't seem to find my DMS coordinates with the app. Am I missing something? As these are required to place a geocache it seems reasonable that I should be able to get this info from the app. As it is I either have to download a second app or buy an expensive GPS device, which then sort of defeats the purpose of having the app.

Could a coordinates view be added?

Thanks!

1. Please do not use the DMS format for taking and reporting coordinates when you hide a new cache. It lacks sufficient precision for geocaching.

2. When you are navigating to any other waypoint in the app, you can see your current position in Degrees Decimal Minutes format. Yay!

It seems to me rather odd that I can't seem to find my DMS coordinates with the app. Am I missing something? As these are required to place a geocache it seems reasonable that I should be able to get this info from the app. As it is I either have to download a second app or buy an expensive GPS device, which then sort of defeats the purpose of having the app.

Could a coordinates view be added?

Thanks!

Help Center → Hide a cache → Hide your cache

4.2. Coordinate formats

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=811

Coordinate formats

There are a lot of different coordinate formats. The following four formats all show the location of Geocaching HQ. When you submit your cache, you can use any of these four formats — but make sure you include exact spacing and decimal points! Degree, minute, and second symbols are optional.

***Go to the linked page to see the chart***

Tip: Don’t use the iPhone compass app to record coordinates for your hide. The iPhone compass app uses the DMS format without the decimal portion of the seconds. This format is not accurate and can cover an area of up to 1000 square feet (100 square meters). Learn how to use the Geocaching® app to record your coordinates.

4.1. How to get accurate coordinates

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=673

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol