Request: Remove "New logging experience" until it can actually be used

baer2006

With the respective Release Note threads on this subject locked, I guess this is the most relevant active thread.

This afternoon I went thru a few DNF logs of mine that also had DNFs by other cachers before/after me. Some caches are DNFed for a couple months old to 2 years old and all have multiple DNFs. Using the new logging page really is a sub-optimal experience. I need to write a note to select that the cache needs maintenance and either put "See NM log" or put the description in the note with the NM log having the canned text of "Cache might be missing" or whatever "Other" canned text is written. 2 logs needed to accomplish 1 NM and it doesn't even provide the same info in the NM log.

So I opted out and did it the "old fashioned" way by writing a NM log with descriptive text. The old logging approach was functional AND efficient.

What's the advantage of the new log approach?

I started going through some of my 100+ Field Notes (Drafts) last night. Had to use the new logging experience, since there's no Opt Out option for Drafts.

Here's how it went:

-- Opened the Drafts page and right-clicked on the cache name so I could review the cache in a separate tab.

-- In the Drafts page tab, clicked on 'Compose Log' so I could see if I had any notes about that cache.

-- Opened a random cache page and click "Log Visit", so I can get the 'old logging experience' that has a preview window. Kept this open in a separate tab.

-- Typed my log in Notepad (my method for a long while) and pasted it into the preview window of random cache to see how it would look, then edited if necessary.

-- Copy-pasted log text from random cache tab to compose draft tab.

-- Clicked Post log.

-- Scrolled down the resulting cache page to find my log and make sure the date attached to the log is correct.

-- Scrolled back up to the page to click back to the Drafts page in the banner.

For the cache where I added a photo, then the last two steps changed to this:

-- Right-clicked on "View Log" to open my individual log in a separate tab. Reviewed my log to double-check the date attached to it and attached a photo (adding a caption and editing the photo's date).

-- Closed this tab and went back to the tab showing the cache page of the cache I'd just logged and clicked back to the Drafts page in the banner.

For the cache where I clicked on 'Compose Log' and the page wouldn't load after at least 20 seconds, and also for the cache where I added corrected coords - I right-clicked on the "Log Visit" button so I could use the 'old logging experience', then deleted those drafts individually from my Drafts page.

----------------------------------

Using both systems, old and new, made me realize that I really do prefer the 'old logging experience' - for reasons that most forum users have already posted in these various threads. But I'll mention them again for posterity's sake, and so the new profile/dashboard news doesn't distract from the logging experience hoopla.

Things I miss about the 'old logging experience':

-- Adding a caption to photos while adding the photo.

-- Adding text to an NM/NA log entry, without having to go through several additional steps to edit the log.

-- Adding corrected coords to the log, so it shows up prominently at the top of the log in a standard format and assists the CO and future finders.

-- Previewing log text and how to add smileys/formatting without having to open another tab and search for that info, if it's not already bookmarked in my browser.

-- Not having to remember that the big "! Needs Maintenance" at the bottom of the text window is not an alert that the cache has issues, but is actually a clickable option to "! Report a Problem" with the cache.

-- Being taken directly to my log entry after submitting my log, so I could confirm it without having to scroll down and find it after the cache description and other intervening logs.

-- Speed of page loading and lack of 'buggy behavior'.

Very well said, I salute you! :) Hopefully, Groundspeak listens to all of what's going on in this thread.

Wow!

I haven't engaged with the new dashboard to the extent that I would have experienced all of the issues being discussed here.

However, what I have noticed, is that when I go to log a cache, it defaults to a "Found It" log.

This makes it all to easy to mis-log a DNF as a find. It happened to me a couple of times before I chose to "opt out".

From the look of things, they'd have to fix a lot more than that before I'd switch back to the new dashboard.

On the up side, one thing I do like with the new style, is the ability to add a fave point before submitting the log.

Wow!

I haven't engaged with the new dashboard to the extent that I would have experienced all of the issues being discussed here.

However, what I have noticed, is that when I go to log a cache, it defaults to a "Found It" log.

This makes it all to easy to mis-log a DNF as a find. It happened to me a couple of times before I chose to "opt out".

From the look of things, they'd have to fix a lot more than that before I'd switch back to the new dashboard.

On the up side, one thing I do like with the new style, is the ability to add a fave point before submitting the log.

In the old interface, you also had the ability to add a favorite point when submitting the log. Just click the checkbox, it is just above your trackables.