Request: Remove "New logging experience" until it can actually be used

baer2006

Hi,

when clicking on the "Compose Log" link in the Drafts list, I get a log window with a "new logging experience". I don't have any option to switch back to the usual logging page. I consider this a serious bug, because the "new logging experience" is essentially unusable:

- No preview of markdown-formatted text.

- No link to markdown formatting option.

- No link to smiley codes.

- Very small input window.

- No option to add a set of coordinates.

- Cannot log NM or NA.

Please don't sell a feature set, which has been reduced to unusability, as a "new experience". Thank you!

Hi bear2006,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about logging drafts. We are Beta testing this updated feature with a small group of geocachers in the community for a brief period of time. Feedback like yours is greatly appreciated - thank you for helping to improve our products!

Thanks for the feedback. Not so many thanks for putting me into the so-called "beta test" group :blink: . In software development, a "Beta test" usually refers to a test when the feature is in principle completely implemented. Because of the listed deficiencies, I don't believe for a second, that the new logging page is anywhere near a full implementation.

Does your dev team operate under a Scrum process? Because the current state looks a lot like an interim result after the first few implementation sprints ;) (a limited subset of the planned features is implemented and working, but lots is still missing). You don't usually involve selected customers at this stage, at least not without a simple option to switch back to the old version :rolleyes: .

It gets "better" every day :angry: ! I just clicked on the "Compose" link of a draft for a find log, and read:

"The log type is no longer available for this geocache. Please select a different log type."

Ok, I can just ignore the message and still post my log (with all the restrictions mentioned in my original post). But this "beta test" is an absolute nuisance. :(

Edited by Rock Chalk
removed reference to inappropriate language

Hi baer2006 - Thanks for sharing this. Could you tell me what cache this was happening with? (My assumption is that you received the message because you have already logged a "Found" for that particular cache - this is related to the upcoming log type changes noted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=343632)

I had most definitely not already logged a find for this cache! In fact, the message appeared for both of my today's finds, GC736G2 and GC730HM. Of course, by now I have logged my find.

Hi baer2006 - Thanks for sharing this. Could you tell me what cache this was happening with? (My assumption is that you received the message because you have already logged a "Found" for that particular cache - this is related to the upcoming log type changes noted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=343632)

I had most definitely not already logged a find for this cache! In fact, the message appeared for both of my today's finds, GC736G2 and GC730HM. Of course, by now I have logged my find.

It appears we had a bug and it has been fixed - once you clear the cache on your browser, you will no longer see the invalid warning message. Thank you!

Two annoying feature on draft logging page: Missing "All visited" under Trackables, and the Cache name isn't a link, so if I want to view cache's webpage I have to do some workaround*. Please, give me back old style logging page!

*It seems, it was changed or something wrong with my browser yesterday.

Edited by R.Guszty

I just got to enjoy this ”new logging page” and I sadly have to say I didn't quite like it.

I find it pretty bad, that there’s no more option to make all trackables visiting a cache. If one has more than just very few trackables and there are many caches to log, it’s really a hard work to click visit separately for all the trackables. Please bring this ‘All visited’ button back!

I also totally agree with the stuff baer2006 listed at the first message. Please, give us the old page back!

Edited by TaMaLeLo

I have a large backlog of Field Notes and this new logging page is making me procrastinate even more, or maybe I'm just using the new logging page as an extra excuse for procrastinating.

But seriously, here are some things I do not like about the new page:

-- Can't see the log entry's final version while typing it.

-- Can't see the log entry's final format after submitting the log. Instead have to scroll down the cache page to see it, which I feel compelled to do now because I can't even see a preview of it.

-- The 'Encrypt log entry' and 'Add coordinates to log' options are not available.

-- The 'cartoonish' format of the page and how the work area is so narrow now.

I'm still undecided about the following things:

-- Moving the Needs Archived entry to be a subset of 'Needs Maintenance'. NM and NA have been separate log types on the website and are separate log types in the app, under 'Report a Problem'. To be consistent, I'd suggest changing the "! Needs maintenance" label on the new logging page to read "! Report a Problem".

-- Not having an 'All Visited' option in the Trackables section. I can see where having to click each individual TB could discourage cachers that log excessive visit logs (ie, they visit every tb to every find) that the TO doesn't appreciate. But then there are also some cachers that have personal TB's that they should be able to visit to as many caches as they want. Although, with the latter, it seems odd to me that a cacher would have multiple personal TB's that the 'all visit' option is that much of an improvement over clicking 'visit' for each.

I just logged several field notes (why they're now called "drafts" is beyone me) and do not like the new interface. I get that putting Java behind every web page is the "in" thing to do now, but it is annoying having to wait (and wait) while the wheel spins before the text entry area finally loads. What was wrong with just a text entry box that is somehow improved by a somewhat shinier text box? I had to keep going back to play>drafts>compose log several times because the spinning wheel just seemed to get stuck with the page greyed out. Another thing I don't like is after submitting my log it opens the cache page instead of just going back to my other field notes, sorry, "drafts."

It shouldn't take a lot of bandwidth to load a webpage with a text entry box. I should be able to load it quickly whether I'm on my phone, at work, or at home. Actually, since more and more people have mobile devices, the page should be optimized for the least amount of data transfer rather than throwing in extra coding that just slows things down.

I log normaly with Field notes and write my log at home. But the new Log side DONT WORK (Have Firefox 52.0.2 with gclittlehelper and many other useful apps for geocaching)! it is all grey. Also grey, when i open the side without all the apps. I can nothing change or klick. It is very very bad ! I must now open the Cache Listing and log on the Listing side and than i must delete my field notes. I AM VERY VERY ANGRY

I also want back the OLD wolked Log side.

I think you want to change all cacher to log online only TFTC then to log more it is so tricky with the new log side.

I AM VERY VERY ANGRY !!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hi there, started logging todays finds using the new "logging experience", looked OK to me (apart from the quite small input window), but the "feature"that annoyed me (and drove me to the choice "opt out") was that it seemed to use local time, and as I was logging yesterdays finds (quite a lot) and as it is after midnight I had to adjust the date with each log, apart from that the first few logs seemed to work OK, don't know if I could "opt in" again to do some more experimenting with it, wouldn't mind to do so...

cheers from Holland...

Thanks for bringing trackables 'All visited' button back. Very much appreciated. :)

Would be very happy to see also the preview box coming back. And the text entry box could be bigger too.

And talking about the trackable list, I do like the new outlook of it, with the small icons and all the details included, such as km’s and stuff. Much better than the previous version. :)

Oh, I must add one more thing.

I would also prefer it if after submitting a log, it would show my log instead of showing the cache page. Especially when there's no preview, this would be important. At least I like to make sure that everything is correct in my log text, after I have submitted it. So I'd love to have the old way back, as it would definitely save me for extra clicks.

Edited by TaMaLeLo

Would be very happy to see also the preview box coming back. And the text entry box could be bigger too.

Oh, I must add one more thing.

I would also prefer it if after submitting a log, it would show my log instead of showing the cache page. Especially when there's no preview, this would be important. At least I like to make sure that everything is correct in my log text, after I have submitted it. So I'd love to have the old way back, as it would definitely save me for extra clicks.

+1

I posted something similar in this thread, but then also mentioned the same in the new Release Notes thread, as it seems more likely that Lackeys will see our feedback there.

The most basic functions of the geocaching website are to host cache pages and facilitate online logging of them, so changes to the way caches can be logged strikes at its fundamental core. I guess I'm not your typical urban cacher; my most memorable finds, and certainly most of my favourites, are bushland caches well off the beaten track. I love getting out into the great outdoors, following the adventure the CO has laid before me, and a big part of relating my experience is the photos I take along the way. I also often rely on the photos logged by previous finders to see what I'll be up against - I doubt I would have attempted GC6MT5R if I hadn't seen those earlier photos and convinced myself beforehand I could do it. Likewise as a CO, a big part of the enjoyment on seeing new logs is the photos that come with them; they add so much more depth to the story the finder is relating.

In a similar vein, when I log an NM or an NA I want to be able to succinctly explain my reason for doing so. As a CO, were I to receive an NM, I'd hope it would convey enough information for me to determine in advance what awaits me at GZ. Some of my hides require considerable effort to reach - a long hike and/or a kayak paddle - and having to make two trips, one to figure out what was wrong and another to fix it, would be annoying to say the least. If all I get is "This geocacher has reported a problem with this cache", well, that's really not very helpful.

I assume the removal of functionality from the logging page is an intentional act, an essential part of some yet-to-be-disclosed grander scheme, and not just a developer oversight. Past experience suggests that functionality, once removed, is rarely restored, so this new logging page saddens me, taking away core elements from my participation in the hobby.

Yes, I know caching these days is all about apps, urban hides and instant gratification, where the only maintenance problems are missing caches and full or mouldy logbooks logsheets, and with little else to say other than TFTC, but isn't there room to still cater for the wider experience?

Edited by barefootjeff

Hi there, started logging todays finds using the new "logging experience", looked OK to me (apart from the quite small input window), but the "feature"that annoyed me (and drove me to the choice "opt out") was that it seemed to use local time, and as I was logging yesterdays finds (quite a lot) and as it is after midnight I had to adjust the date with each log, apart from that the first few logs seemed to work OK, don't know if I could "opt in" again to do some more experimenting with it, wouldn't mind to do so...

cheers from Holland...

If you logging via the Drafts / Field Notes page, that particular list will show all the dates converted to GMT (the dates may be off).

But if you click/tap Compose Log, the date to be used will be the date as of the Draft you uploaded.

You should be fine continuing to use your normal process (unless you still want to 'opt out' of the new logging for other reasons :) )

The new "logging experience" now assigns Needs Maintenance and Needs Archive to a "note" giving no indication that there is a problem with the cache unless you read the details of the note. This makes it even easier for the CO to ignore problems with the cache and harder for the rest of us to see that there is a problem. Not helpful at all.

edexter

Yes, I know caching these days is all about apps, urban hides and instant gratification, where the only maintenance problems are missing caches and full or mouldy logbooks logsheets, and with little else to say other than TFTC, but isn't there room to still cater for the wider experience?

There's room, but TPTB don't seem to be interested in utilizing that room.

These recent changes seem to signal a very significant change of mindset by doing the following:

• Discouraging formatting in logs by making it more difficult to use Markdown
  • Discouraging the uploading of multiple photos
  • Discouraging adding captions to photos (causing a loss of context)
  • Discouraging the reporting of meaningful maintenance information to the CO

These all add up to a seemingly-intentional push towards discouraging the long-standing practice of sharing your experience, which is obviously disappointing and could mark a turning point in the history of geocaching. While there are currently workarounds for most of the above, this may not be true long-term and some of these may be actively denied in the future.

In addition, they're continuing to push forward with questionable practices that they've already applied in other parts of the site:

• The use of low-contrast colours, making it unnecessarily more difficult for members with eyesight problems
  • Tailoring a page to work best on smartphones even though it's primarily used by desktop users
  • Releasing an unfinished product with vague (and, based on past experience, dubious) promises that they'll improve things later
  • Removing important functionality because they don't think it gets used much

Unfortunately, instead of changing their processes, TPTB seem to be doubling-down.

There's room, but TPTB don't seem to be interested in utilizing that room.

These recent changes seem to signal a very significant change of mindset by doing the following:

• Discouraging formatting in logs by making it more difficult to use Markdown
  • Discouraging the uploading of multiple photos
  • Discouraging adding captions to photos (causing a loss of context)
  • Discouraging the reporting of meaningful maintenance information to the CO

These all add up to a seemingly-intentional push towards discouraging the long-standing practice of sharing your experience, which is obviously disappointing and could mark a turning point in the history of geocaching. While there are currently workarounds for most of the above, this may not be true long-term and some of these may be actively denied in the future.

I'm pretty disappointed in these logging changes. The changes to the search and map icons didn't bother me too much. As a premium member, I didn't feel like I was losing any functionality and things didn't seem that much more cumbersome - so I adjusted (although I still want to have a way to distinguish PMO vs non-PMO on the map). But, these changes to the logging page are really tough for me to understand.

Maybe GS would prefer if we didn't attach pictures or include much text in our logs. Maybe the data storage is becoming an issue and they want us to use less. Maybe the goal is to turn this into a phone game. Maybe new cachers get too confused by the existing logging page, although I'm not sure what's confusing about it. Maybe...who knows what.

What I've seen so far is very discouraging. I'm not sure what type of cachers are providing the feedback that GS uses to guide their decisions, but I suppose those cachers are not similar to me. :(

I have a backlog of 60+ field notes from earlier this month. I'll try to work through them next week, after adding more to the list this weekend. I almost don't want to even bother logging them, but I do like being able to know which caches I've found and exclude found caches from maps/PQ's without having to utilize an ignore list. And of course, there are challenge caches where I need to know my finds.

I tried the new cache log page tonight, both using “Drafts” and manually. It went OK. Some things I noticed:

- The page looks like the App now. Plenty of excess space to scroll around in. And the text is fading away to light gray. I guess it will be invisible soon. Cool.

- There's a “(!) Needs maintenance” warning at the bottom of the log, and mouse hover over it to see “This Geocache needs maintenance”. No, wait. It's something to select if it needs maintenance. It doesn't need it today. Looks like a warning message. But it's not. Sweet.

- I typed my log. Can I upload a picture? Guess I'll click that camera icon. Mouse hover to see the text “File Input”. Not yet, I want to upload a picture first. I'll file input after that. Oh, wait... tell me “File Input” is not computerese for “Upload Image”. Turns out, yeah. It is. What is this... Skynet?!

- I filed the input, and when I viewed that image on the page, I “uploaded it tomorrow”. That is, on April 29th, 2017, the date for the picture is April 30th, 2017. It's 8:00pm EST, which is 5:00pm PST. The image server is set for the following day? Interesting.

Anyway, it's just weirdness. It's all hip and surreal just the way GS likes it. I'll get over it. But I can only adjust my video monitor so much. I won't be able to do any more once the text goes completely white.

Edited by kunarion

No doubt this new logging method has been released too early without any warning at all on the whole geocaching community.

What are you, Groundspeak, trying to do? Loosing your feet and head instantly? Only thinking of new customers and forgetting your current client base!

A proper beta test is announced to a select group of people as any IT or management consultant should & could have told you!

Please revert this wrong and do not use us as guinea pigs

- or should we massively appeal to a year/month free service in compensation?

In this perspective I am actively rethinking whether to renew my premium membership.

Which by the way lacks a reduction scheme for long time members - or should we forget / forgive you for raising the membership by equalling euros for dollars 2/3 years ago?

Yours sincerely, Birdie.NL

Must say I hate that Groundspeak feels the need to change and update everything, I don't use the app that I'd been using for 4 years because its a mess. I ditched it and started using Cachly, which is excellent. I thought it was a bad decision to change everything about the app that we have all gotten used to, are you going to go by Apple or Microsoft and just patch it to death? Why release something that is missing features that we've used for years???

Which brings me to New Loggin Experience, which should have been rolled out as New Way To Irritate Cachers!! I tried it and then immediately reverted to the good old way to do it. Please stop changing, what are you looking to do? If its make more money, this is not the way! Please do mess this up, its important to a lot of people, its the greatest hobby/sport on the planet, I love doing it.

Also must mention it, PHOTOS!!!!!!!! I looked here to see if I could post a photo I have on my computer on this forum, I can not? It makes me think of the main reason I would not use the new logging, a random photo with no context (ie I can't even name it or explain it) is just that, a random photo. If you suddenly stopped letting me post photos, I would probably leave the game, or more likely start my own website that I would post my geocaching experiences to.

Yes I made it bold and ridiculously big on purpose! It's a new exciting experience!

Good grief!

Has anyone ever tested and confirmed that "usability has really been improved"? GC states that usability has been improved in the new log-writing page, but I would expect a proof - or at least a big "WE'RE SORRY!".

Like other users state: Can't find formatting codes and instant preview. I add: Can't find how to write hyperlinks.

I also add: The new feature is 'very very beautiful s***' (hit). The layout is simple (an almost empty white display with one or two elephant size buttons), and the functionality is gone.

I suggest: Take the word "USER" literally, to distinguish from "SOMEONE WHO VISITS A MUSEUM OF ART AND MODERN DESIGN".

The former prefers usability even if the layout is dull.

The latter prefers to be astonished of an empty space or a dog turd painted purple and dangling in a wire, even if it is useless.

I am *using* geocaching.com to support by geocaching hobby.

I am NOT *looking at* geocaching.com because it is nice.

When working on a computer, it is ridiculous with a big page containing few buttons (that can be hit by an elephant wearing boxing gloves) and practically nothing else.

The users *can* read and write. The users are rather intelligent, so don't be afraid of using letters, words and some space to write log texts into.

Just to prevent the common answers:

"Everyone else transforms their website this way as well." Let them! Don't just follow behind someone else - he might be lost in the woods!

"JavaScript is the new wonder-tool (fantastic tools like Angular, Backbone etc...)" If you don't define your own needs, you don't need a new framework!

"Mobile First" is the new web-design principle." Admit it, this too often ends up with "mobile only", leaving professional users with computers out in the dark.

"Scrum is modern." What happened to quality control and testing?

Long talk - short scream:

Your new logging "experience" is USELESS.

Kind regards anyway.

Edited by geoknold

+1

to all of the comments here.

At the moment "New Logging Experience" is just plain worse than the old one.

The only thing I like about it abit is that the trackable list gets sorted by the most recently logged so my regulars are at the top of the list.

What hasn't been mentioned - I can't add a favourite point anymore when posting log?? Another step backwards.

I must be going blind. Here is a screenshot of how that page looks to me.

I doubt you are going blind but I bet the entire page isn't properly loading for you. If you have another browser, try the same page in another browser. Try logging out and back in and see if that might help too. I hate the "clear your cache" nonsense response but that might also be needed. Here's what logging that same cache looks like for me.

log_favorite.png

I doubt you are going blind but I bet the entire page isn't properly loading for you.
And welcome to the latest in web dezyne trends. There are other "modern" sites that have key functionality missing, depending on what browser I'm using, what device I'm using, what firewalls/proxies I'm using, etc.

There is a heart icon at the bottom left portion - that's the favorite icon on the new page and the new official app.

2017_05_02_20_30_17.png

I can see the heart and photo icons at home. They are not loading for me on my work computer, but the mouse pointer changes to indicate a link when I mouse over where they should be.

I can see the heart and photo icons at home. They are not loading for me on my work computer, but the mouse pointer changes to indicate a link when I mouse over where they should be.

The icons are SVG format, which may have some compatibility issues.

Interestingly, I know that the pages work (they've never not worked at my current PC) but just now I loaded the logging page coming from a cache listing, and the icons are not showing. So something is up.

There is a heart icon at the bottom left portion - that's the favorite icon on the new page and the new official app.

2017_05_02_20_30_17.png

I got exactly the same on my home computer last night, though I'm sure they were visible on it a few days ago.

Groundspeak....

Please get a grip! If something isn't broken; don't bloomin well try to fix it! [Edited]

I absolutely hate this new system of logging. To a point where i have been shown a photo of a friends logging page and they have a bloody OPT OUT BUTTON! Now, I really like to write a story for my logs, more so if they are well deserved of a massive write up. I have even gone as far in the past of filling the found box and written two or three note boxes to continue the experience online for a Cache Owner to also enjoy the laughs or story with us, almost like being there too...

NOW, with the new system i open a box, write my bit, individually select trackables (to which i won't be purchasing anymore personal mileage gatherers as it just takes to blooming long) then send the log. This in turn takes me to the cache page and not directly back to Field Notes (why change to Drafts is beyond me), why would i want to visit the cache page? I have already done the darn thing!

Greasemonkey scripts - Many a person uses script to assist them in their logging of finds/DNFs/NM and so forth. My system in play has simple command buttons for emoji, copy last log to name a couple. When doing huge power trails of 100-500 caches you really don't want to be hindered by the snail system that has been served infront of me. I write a really good long log on say No1, apologise for copy/pastes on the remainder of the series and add that if anything was outstanding in a certain cache that gets added after the C/P log.

Because of this new system and the fact that I'm being forced to use it, I am as of tomorrow going to write one log in MS Word which will be my default log for every cache from now on. No stories, no funnies, no photos...

In fact, now i'm thinking about it. I might as well stop my premium membership and get the smartphone out with the MUNZEE app open as that is what you are very rapidly turning this game into!!!!

[Edited]

Edited by Keystone
Removed spicy and off-topic bits

While I think of it...

I happened to need to log a PMO cache last night, as a basic member. I managed the logging without any dramas (on an iPad fwiw) but was then directed to the cache page - which is, obviously, the non-PM user page. As a result I couldn't double-check my log - I like to proof before sending but inevitably once you send the log you'll then spot the inevitable three errors.

I appreciate that my log was in a very small subset of logs, but in some ways its more helpful to go to the page where I can edit the log - I got there in a few clicks. I don't know if anyone considered the behaviour for non-PM users logging PMO caches - I can understand that this wouldn't be a high priority given that it must be such a small set of logs.

While I think of it...

I happened to need to log a PMO cache last night, as a basic member. I managed the logging without any dramas (on an iPad fwiw) but was then directed to the cache page - which is, obviously, the non-PM user page. As a result I couldn't double-check my log - I like to proof before sending but inevitably once you send the log you'll then spot the inevitable three errors.

I appreciate that my log was in a very small subset of logs, but in some ways its more helpful to go to the page where I can edit the log - I got there in a few clicks. I don't know if anyone considered the behaviour for non-PM users logging PMO caches - I can understand that this wouldn't be a high priority given that it must be such a small set of logs.

I hadn't thought of that aspect.

You can still view it by going through your dashboard page, though, right?

While I think of it...

I hadn't thought of that aspect.

You can still view it by going through your dashboard page, though, right?

Yes, which is how I got to it. It just took a few clicks.

I suspect that it's such a small proportion of logs as to be ignorable, but I thought it might be worth mentioning at least - I can imagine that it's not necessarily something that came up in initial testing.

Once again, I wanted to post a note on one of my caches using the new page... But the log form remained all greyed out.

There is a BUG in PRODUCTION !!! How can you just let it that happen ? And so long !!!

Removing features is one thing. One bad thing. But adding bugs ! That is even less acceptable ! Come on guys, you're better that that !

Which brings me to New Loggin Experience, which should have been rolled out as New Way To Irritate Cachers!! I tried it and then immediately reverted to the good old way to do it. Please stop changing, what are you looking to do? If its make more money, this is not the way! Please do mess this up, its important to a lot of people, its the greatest hobby/sport on the planet, I love doing it.

I have to agree.

The previous logging page is far easier and better in many ways, especially for those of us who do NOT use apps.

C'mon Groundspeak, you have a whole generation of geocachers out here who have been members for years who don't want all these mobility 'improvements' shoved down our throats. PLEASE keep the web site and App separate! There are scores of reasons we prefer to use a real computer to log our finds, solve puzzles, read cache descriptions etc...

When we're out Geocaching, the last thing we want to be doing is staring at our phones.

Once again, I wanted to post a note on one of my caches using the new page... But the log form remained all greyed out.

There is a BUG in PRODUCTION !!! How can you just let it that happen ? And so long !!!

Removing features is one thing. One bad thing. But adding bugs ! That is even less acceptable ! Come on guys, you're better that that !

I haven't seen that, it might be a unique problem to your configuration. You should post your OS version and browser/version and perhaps somebody here could help.

I haven't seen that, it might be a unique problem to your configuration. You should post your OS version and browser/version and perhaps somebody here could help.

You haven't, other have, if I read it coorectly in the different threads concerning the new looging page. I don't expect any help, so it's not helpful to mention I used Windows 8.1 / Chrome latest version (see months old freeze with the map, which can only be prevented thanks to a script). It happens randomly. It's okay after a refresh. Appropriate testing would probably have shown that...

I started going through some of my 100+ Field Notes (Drafts) last night. Had to use the new logging experience, since there's no Opt Out option for Drafts.

Here's how it went:

-- Opened the Drafts page and right-clicked on the cache name so I could review the cache in a separate tab.

-- In the Drafts page tab, clicked on 'Compose Log' so I could see if I had any notes about that cache.

-- Opened a random cache page and click "Log Visit", so I can get the 'old logging experience' that has a preview window. Kept this open in a separate tab.

-- Typed my log in Notepad (my method for a long while) and pasted it into the preview window of random cache to see how it would look, then edited if necessary.

-- Copy-pasted log text from random cache tab to compose draft tab.

-- Clicked Post log.

-- Scrolled down the resulting cache page to find my log and make sure the date attached to the log is correct.

-- Scrolled back up to the page to click back to the Drafts page in the banner.

For the cache where I added a photo, then the last two steps changed to this:

-- Right-clicked on "View Log" to open my individual log in a separate tab. Reviewed my log to double-check the date attached to it and attached a photo (adding a caption and editing the photo's date).

-- Closed this tab and went back to the tab showing the cache page of the cache I'd just logged and clicked back to the Drafts page in the banner.

For the cache where I clicked on 'Compose Log' and the page wouldn't load after at least 20 seconds, and also for the cache where I added corrected coords - I right-clicked on the "Log Visit" button so I could use the 'old logging experience', then deleted those drafts individually from my Drafts page.

----------------------------------

Using both systems, old and new, made me realize that I really do prefer the 'old logging experience' - for reasons that most forum users have already posted in these various threads. But I'll mention them again for posterity's sake, and so the new profile/dashboard news doesn't distract from the logging experience hoopla.

Things I miss about the 'old logging experience':

-- Adding a caption to photos while adding the photo.

-- Adding text to an NM/NA log entry, without having to go through several additional steps to edit the log.

-- Adding corrected coords to the log, so it shows up prominently at the top of the log in a standard format and assists the CO and future finders.

-- Previewing log text and how to add smileys/formatting without having to open another tab and search for that info, if it's not already bookmarked in my browser.

-- Not having to remember that the big "! Needs Maintenance" at the bottom of the text window is not an alert that the cache has issues, but is actually a clickable option to "! Report a Problem" with the cache.

-- Being taken directly to my log entry after submitting my log, so I could confirm it without having to scroll down and find it after the cache description and other intervening logs.

-- Speed of page loading and lack of 'buggy behavior'.