I feel screwed

I got out of the game some years ago (premium member), after buying the Iphone app. Now my grandson wants to try it. It seems I have to be a premium member to get caches over 1.5. So now I have a $9 app that I really can't use! If I'm wrong about this, I apologize for this post. If I'm right I call BS.

By explanations in release notes, the "paid" app was outdated to the point that "rigging" it just wasn't gonna happen anymore, and it was replaced by a new one.

Unlike the paid-once-and-done app, this one requires a PM for full function, similar to the Windows app, that was run that way for some time.

The D/T ratings were lowered to a rating that many asked for, feeling that the higher D/T cache ratings were a good substitute to making them all pmo.

I suppose the site could have gone that way too...

Should developers, marketers, and support staff all work for free?

I don't believe the site would still be here if everyone played for free, or by some making a one-time modest payment.

You do realize that using a GPSr still allows you unlimited all cache types, all D/T, other than pmo, right?

- Of course unless you have one now, 200+ bucks is a few years pm with an app...

With most phone operating systems, we've lost a bunch of non-caching apps as well.

One (Windows), I lost most of my apps in less than a year.

You haven't?

I got out of the game some years ago (premium member), after buying the Iphone app. Now my grandson wants to try it. It seems I have to be a premium member to get caches over 1.5. So now I have a $9 app that I really can't use! If I'm wrong about this, I apologize for this post. If I'm right I call BS.

If you're very determined about continuing to use the old paid App, you still can, depending on how much you previously used it. That is, if you're also willing to use it in the parameters that it currently works. For example, when you start it up, there's a nag that it has been retired.

But if you open a Pocket Query that you saved offline, then open a saved cache in that PQ, you're good to go. To find any cache that you haven't loaded previously, make a new Waypoint. Enter the coordinates of anywhere you wish to go, and off you go. You even have the map if you stay on the part that was loaded for offline use. There are no D/T limits when entering cache coordinates manually. If you insist that they will take your $9 App out of your cold dead hands, you can kind of still use it to this day.

I'd prefer to use any other GPS App instead, such as the new free one (99% of game Apps are "free", paid by a revenue stream, it's the way of the future. You don't "buy" Apps in this brave new world, you rent them). But as with many Apps that were abandoned (some which became orphanware before I bought them and which never worked at all, some BRAND NEW and they CRASH ON START, and which I'm still waiting to see if they are ever programmed to function), you have to be very careful about what you pay for. Yet, have you ever heard of a company that gave so much advance notice, including within the App itself, that they were dropping support for it, retiring it? All the Apps on the iTunes store just sit there and rot without any guidance from the former developers. All except Groundspeak. They are one company that went the extra mile on this. People couldn't even buy it this past year, to be surprised that it's being/become retired. It's the only App I've ever heard of where this advance notice happened. It's not the norm, certainly not with any of the other Apps I've paid for and installed. With all of those, there's no "company" to call BS.

Edited by kunarion
Unlike the paid-once-and-done app, this one requires a PM for full function, similar to the Windows app, that was run that way for some time.

The D/T ratings were lowered to a rating that many asked for, feeling that the higher D/T cache ratings were a good substitute to making them all pmo.

The Official App seems like an ad for paying membership. And it allows users to test what it does, without paying at all (test whether it works on their device at all). And doing that without any commitment, not even supplying a real email address. I am glad that TPTB don't open up all Geocaches to everyone who loads an App on a whim. Yet with paying membership, the free App now functions as a decent Geocaching App. I prefer to load a whole state's maps (persistent maps), and work entirely offline, so I buy the $5 third party Apps, but the Free App is actually not bad as an "ad" that also works for real Geocaching. Note that the $5 third-party Apps tend to flounder as well, without the revenue stream. Count how many of those have been updated recently. When one of those stops working right, you won't know til you buy it.

Should developers, marketers, and support staff all work for free?

I don't believe the site would still be here if everyone played for free, or by some making a one-time modest payment.

The Old Paid App provided quite a lot for the one-time $9. People could almost decide between $9 once, or $30 per year. That was quite a deal. I'm guessing that the business model of the too-generous App, combined with the extremely negative reviews here and on the App ratings, are what killed it. And the fact that "Game Apps" are now "Free" to get you playing. How some Apps generate billion$ when they're "free" and "nobody I know ever pays", is anybody's guess. :anibad:

I've supposed that the D/T restriction is all about the Free App. That is, you get the web site without any D/T restrictions, because that's what members have always gotten. You get nags in the Free App, because it's expensive to support "an App" (in more than one OS, no less) and that's a special perk for people who want to use an App. Web site users who have no "Free App", shouldn't be paying for others to have the App. I'm glad that TPTB kind of understands that :anicute:. But I call BS when the App gets complaints or low ratings on the premise that it is not supplying enough freebies. If you want something, pay for it.

Edited by kunarion

If you're very determined about continuing to use the old paid App, you still can, depending on how much you previously used it. That is, if you're also willing to use it in the parameters that it currently works. For example, when you start it up, there's a nag that it has been retired.

But if you open a Pocket Query that you saved offline, then open a saved cache in that PQ, you're good to go. To find any cache that you haven't loaded previously, make a new Waypoint. Enter the coordinates of anywhere you wish to go, and off you go. You even have the map if you stay on the part that was loaded for offline use. There are no D/T limits when entering cache coordinates manually. If you insist that they will take your $9 App out of your cold dead hands, you can kind of still use it to this day.

I'd prefer to use any other GPS App instead, such as the new free one (99% of game Apps are "free", paid by a revenue stream, it's the way of the future. You don't "buy" Apps in this brave new world, you rent them). But as with many Apps that were abandoned (some which became orphanware before I bought them and which never worked at all, some BRAND NEW and they CRASH ON START, and which I'm still waiting to see if they are ever programmed to function), you have to be very careful about what you pay for. Yet, have you ever heard of a company that gave so much advance notice, including within the App itself, that they were dropping support for it, retiring it? All the Apps on the iTunes store just sit there and rot without any guidance from the former developers. All except Groundspeak. They are one company that went the extra mile on this. People couldn't even buy it this past year, to be surprised that it's being/become retired. It's the only App I've ever heard of where this advance notice happened. It's not the norm, certainly not with any of the other Apps I've paid for and installed. With all of those, there's no "company" to call BS.

I don't know how to use the old app?? We used it all the time, but now, when I try to open it, it comes up with "Failed to connect to Geocaching.com" error message.

The new app is horrible, IMHO.

Edited by steben6

I don't know how to use the old app?? We used it all the time, but now, when I try to open it, it comes up with "Failed to connect to Geocaching.com" error message.

Any attempt to use the online features of the old App results in "Failed to connect". It's offline only, and even at that, if you have no offline data saved (Pocket Queries or whatever) I don't think you can do anything at all with it. I was able to open a previously saved cache, and from there add a waypoint. But I also have to keep closing the "Retired" popup window. If I'm just typing waypoint coordinates, I might as well use Commander Compass. The old App is good for moving data from the old App which may otherwise be lost (I think there's a new utility for that, check around the Forum if you need it), but then stop using it. It's not truly functional anymore.

I bought "Cachly" and "Looking 4 Cache Pro". I have a lot of trouble getting any Geocaching Apps to do their thing in real-world Geocaching, and I use them offline while in the field. Typically, the offline map is flakey or missing on arrival, or the "location" is 100 miles off. If you can find a demo version of any, first try that. The Official Geocaching App is free, so I guess you tried it. I tried it online recently (while in a hotspot and using GPS), and didn't have a whole lot of trouble. The Official App and a lot of other iPhone Geocaching Apps are pretty elegant, compared to Android Geocaching Apps.

Edited by kunarion

FYI,

WE purchased the old 10.00 app for android and really enjoyed it. Now the app we paid for is gone and the new is a "piece of crap" compass freezes up along with not able to get gps to find location. Not happy with HQ. We're travelling out caching in New Mexico today with fellow cachers and quess what, same issues for them. Wonder why we continue to be premium member with the things that are happening. We are think you may want all us old member to just go away. It may happen as we find a new hobby. Just keep changing things that used to work and NOW do not. Frustrated with HQ.

Virgil E Newton (Noot & Foxy)