Cache blasted by bomb squad in Estonia

k6_est

Quick translation of article in Estonian. http://www.ohtuleht.ee/798125/ohtulehe-video-pommipaanika-ekspress-grupi-ouel-pohjustas-suutu-kuid-motlematu-mang You can check out pics and video at the link.

The bomb panic on Ekspress Group front yard was caused by innocent but thoughtless game

April 7, 2017, 19:47

In Tallinn today at Narva road 13 in the parking lot in front of the Ekspress Group building a police and rescue operation took place to search for an explosive device. The bomb disposal robot identified it to be a game of geocaching.

An eyewitness reported that at around 17.30-18.00 a man and a woman entered the yard and placed calmly a device there. The eyewitness also reported seeing wiring and to be sure of safety called the rescue service. The suspected bomb was placed under one of the supporting legs of a cellular tower of Tele2 mobile operator.

The rescue services Northern district reported that the emergency call was made at address Narva road 13 due to suspicion of a bomb. A suspicious box was found. Noone was evacuated. Half an hour later the bomb disposal robot blasted the suspicious package and the operation ended.

Police and Border Guard leading field officer said it was a game of geocacing, inside the package there were items with Tele2 logos: reflectors, key lanyards and other goodies.

„I have heard about this. This is the first time we had to react with a bomb squad, it is very bad that people didn't notify us about this,“ said the field officer.

In reply to a question why the person who found it thought it is something dangerous, the field officer replied that the hiders were acting suspiciously. It might have been that the package was made in a way that it would draw the attention of geocaching players, but it seemed suspicious to the eyewitness.

Because while playing such games the people not participating in the game might not understand what is going on, the police requests to inform the police before placing such packages, to avoid unnecessary waste of bomb squad time and resources.

google maps location of the tower: https://goo.gl/maps/3jRdjPBgvnR2

google street view link to the cell tower: https://goo.gl/maps/TbRc6q1CSEq

Edited by k6_est
Because while playing such games the people not participating in the game might not understand what is going on, the police requests to inform the police before placing such packages, to avoid unnecessary waste of bomb squad time and resources.

How many caches are hidden in their jurisdiction? How are they going to track all those notifications? It would be easier to just track them online with a Geocaching account. They could probably request a free Premium Account. Perhaps someone should inform the Police about that.

"the police requests to inform the police before placing such packages, to avoid unnecessary waste of bomb squad time and resources" makes no sense to me, as the team would have to blow it up anyway, just in case.

- What if real terrorists found that geocaches won't be touched?

Throwdowns could get ugly...

The cops: "We believe that this may be one of those geocache game things, but we were told it was a clear plastic container, and now it's a pill bottle with some of the label hiding it's contents. Blow it up."

Placing caches without permission is a big issue though, which this one apparently didn't have, like the thousands of others similar.

Everyone a little on edge, surprised it isn't happening more.

Quick translation of article in Estonian. http://www.ohtuleht.ee/798125/ohtulehe-video-pommipaanika-ekspress-grupi-ouel-pohjustas-suutu-kuid-motlematu-mang You can check out pics and video at the link.

The bomb panic on Ekspress Group front yard was caused by innocent but thoughtless game

April 7, 2017, 19:47

In Tallinn today at Narva road 13 in the parking lot in front of the Ekspress Group building a police and rescue operation took place to search for an explosive device. The bomb disposal robot identified it to be a game of geocaching.

An eyewitness reported that at around 17.30-18.00 a man and a woman entered the yard and placed calmly a device there. The eyewitness also reported seeing wiring and to be sure of safety called the rescue service. The suspected bomb was placed under one of the supporting legs of a cellular tower of Tele2 mobile operator.

The rescue services Northern district reported that the emergency call was made at address Narva road 13 due to suspicion of a bomb. A suspicious box was found. Noone was evacuated. Half an hour later the bomb disposal robot blasted the suspicious package and the operation ended.

Police and Border Guard leading field officer said it was a game of geocacing, inside the package there were items with Tele2 logos: reflectors, key lanyards and other goodies.

„I have heard about this. This is the first time we had to react with a bomb squad, it is very bad that people didn't notify us about this,“ said the field officer.

In reply to a question why the person who found it thought it is something dangerous, the field officer replied that the hiders were acting suspiciously. It might have been that the package was made in a way that it would draw the attention of geocaching players, but it seemed suspicious to the eyewitness.

google maps location of the tower: https://goo.gl/maps/3jRdjPBgvnR2

google street view link to the cell tower: https://goo.gl/maps/TbRc6q1CSEq

entered the yard and placed calmly a device there.

the hiders were acting suspiciously

I guess to avoid being seen as "acting suspiciously", we should not be "calm." What, running around acting wildly crazy is less suspicious?

I guess to avoid being seen as "acting suspiciously", we should not be "calm." What, running around acting wildly crazy is less suspicious?

"It might have been that the package was made in a way that it would draw the attention of geocaching players, but it seemed suspicious to the eye witness" is what interested me.

"Stealth" means little for someone who might just be more observant than others to things around him, or for one a little anxious.

When we used to do those kinda hides, I hit them like I could care less, while the other 2/3rds would look furtively (looking guilty to me).

The few times "busted", we'd laugh and explain the hobby to those curious enough to say something.

Most times it was when I hit the cache, and was told it was simply because I was a camo'd bearded guy. :)

i'm missing something here...if the robot blasted the package (I'm thinking thst means the same as blew it up...maybe right or maybe wrong???) how do they know what the package contained? "inside the package there were items with Tele2 logos: reflectors, key lanyards and other goodies." Someone help me out here, please, otherwise I KNOW my brain will keep going back to this for the next few days, sigh.

I just had a chat with one of the Estonain Geocaching website admins and it turns out that the cache owner did ask and had permission from Tele2 to hide it there and the private security that oversee the area did not think it was necessary for the bomb squad to be called. It seems like a huge case of either miscommunication between the police, or whoever called in the bomb squad and everyone else or they did not follow protocols of asking the company whether they knew what it was before calling in the bomb squad :(

Also if you look at the video on the news site, they did not blow it up. The robot pulled it down and shook it open.

Edited by jpbarr
"It might have been that the package was made in a way that it would draw the attention of geocaching players, but it seemed suspicious to the eye witness" is what interested me.

It's the kind I hate to find. It just plain looks like... a suspicious device. No "This is a Geocache" label or anything, not even a GC number on the outside. You must open it to see the "Geocache" text. And concerned citizens see it being placed under support beams by a suspicious-looking person (for example, me).

263324c8-3152-4f2b-b9de-81403251058b.jpg

Add a short 90-degree conduit or two, and it might look like a utility box. Sometimes I guess there's a fine line between very cool camo and "is that a bomb?". Choose wisely.

I once opened a lamp post cover cache "LPC", noisy, attracts attention, it's in a parking lot beside a drive-thru window. I'm all set up for someone to think it's suspicious and call 911. And when I grab the container, it's a camo tube with a fuse. Cache Owners ...please!! ...No!! Soooo wrong. Was it supposed to be a mouse or something, cute widdle tail? If a cop had pulled up right as I placed it back, that would require way more explaining than I needed. "Sir, if this is part of a Geocache, then why does it have a fuse?". Officer, I cannot explain that. ...Why?! Oh dear Grid, WHY?!!! :blink:

Edited by kunarion