Carnegie Medal

Once in a blue moon, I come across a headstone or a historical marker of some kind, noting the heroism of a person who saved the life of another, sometimes losing their own life in doing so, indicating that they were given a Carnegie Medal for their heroism. I'll photograph these at every opportunity, but I wondered if a category dedicated to Carnegie Medal recipients would be of interest. What I see against it is that there aren't many outside of the United States and Canada, and there aren't as many out there as, say, Woodmen of the World monuments, but we've got a "Medal Of Honor Resting Places" category for a loose comparison. If there's interest, I'll put something together in the coming weeks. If not, I'll keep on doing what I've been doing all along.

Good reading is here:

http://www.carnegiehero.org/

There are nearly ten thousand recipients of the Carnegie Medal. Some of them survived their ordeal, some of them didn't -- the subject of one Texas Historical Marker I photographed recently is looking right at you on the main page, at the far left, second down -- and I expect that the easy ones would be headstones that reference the medal. Historical markers or Signs of History would be acceptable, and I can't see why something similar that doesn't refer the medal would be unacceptable, so long as the appropriate documentation accompanies the submission (like the recipient's listing on the Carnegie site). Maybe even one News Article Location per incident.

I tend to vote against categories which WM's will not be global, as defined in the criteria for voting.

If the category was for "Lifesavers" (no, I'm not talking about the candy), I would be all for it. There are people around the world who risk (and in worst case loose) their lives while trying to save others. Why not include those too as long as the story can be proven?

This sounds as though it would be a worthy endeavour as it has the potential to bring well deserved attention to heroes of the past. In North America there are 10,000 recipients of the Carnegie Medal and counting. After seeing a likeness of the medal at the site it makes me think we may already have seen one.

Expanding the category to include recipients of other, similar, medals and awards from other countries seems to be the next logical step. This category would give us cemetery habitués one more thing to search for in our travels.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Expanding the category to include recipients of other, similar, medals and awards from other countries seems to be the next logical step. This category would give us cemetery habitués one more thing to search for in our travels.

Keith

I did a little research and found the following story: A 23 year old paramedic of the Red Cross saved the lives of two girls who got into a vortex while swimming in the Danube. After the girls were saved he lost his strength, got into a vortex himself and drowned. A memorial was erected in front of the Red-Cross-House in Hollabrunn. He also received a "Persönlichkeit des Jahres 2015" (Personage of the year 2015) award. The memorial doesn't mention the award and I guess that his tombstone will not mention it either, but still I think that his sacrifice deserves a waymark. So, do you see any chance that we could add a waymark of this memorial in that category? Or in other words: Will a medal or award be obligatory?

Keith

I did a little research and found the following story: A 23 year old paramedic of the Red Cross saved the lives of two girls who got into a vortex while swimming in the Danube. After the girls were saved he lost his strength, got into a vortex himself and drowned. A memorial was erected in front of the Red-Cross-House in Hollabrunn. He also received a "Persönlichkeit des Jahres 2015" (Personage of the year 2015) award. The memorial doesn't mention the award and I guess that his tombstone will not mention it either, but still I think that his sacrifice deserves a waymark. So, do you see any chance that we could add a waymark of this memorial in that category? Or in other words: Will a medal or award be obligatory?

If there is a memorial, you can create a WM right away, in the category Citizen Memorials.

I tend to vote against categories which WM's will not be global, as defined in the criteria for voting.

And that's what is WRONG with the criteria for voting as it currently stands. If everyone followed that mentality, then some truly great categories that currently exist only in the United States would have never come to fruition. Categories like the National Register of Historic Places, WPA Projects, Civilian Conservation Corps, all the many State Historical Markers and U.S. Benchmarks come to mind. Waymarking members really need to keep this in mind when voting on a new category proposal that isn't worldwide and mainly limited to one's own country.

I would be receptive to a Carnegie Medals category since I would find the history and details of the person(s) behind these medals very interesting and educational.

And that's what is WRONG with the criteria for voting as it currently stands.

As it currently stands, people vote according to personal choice and not by the criteria we are given. :(

We should contact all of our FB friends that are PM's and ask them for support in peer review. :laughing: Remember Space Invaders? That group had their agenda together. :D

QuarrellaDeVil wrote me saying that he has no intention of proceeding, only that he thought this would be a good category. He told me to go ahead with it if I wished. I believe I will, but not right now. Probably in July or maybe even August, after we've gotten some other things out of the way.

So, tell me what you want to see here and what you don't want to see and we'll (eventually) get on with it. The main reason I want to continue with the category is that I feel it needs to see the light of day, giving recognition to our heroes. For all I know we may never find a Waymark to submit to the category but I'm quite sure a lot of Waymarkers will.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Once in a blue moon, I come across a headstone or a historical marker of some kind, noting the heroism of a person who saved the life of another, sometimes losing their own life in doing so, indicating that they were given a Carnegie Medal for their heroism. I'll photograph these at every opportunity, but I wondered if a category dedicated to Carnegie Medal recipients would be of interest. What I see against it is that there aren't many outside of the United States and Canada, and there aren't as many out there as, say, Woodmen of the World monuments, but we've got a "Medal Of Honor Resting Places" category for a loose comparison. If there's interest, I'll put something together in the coming weeks. If not, I'll keep on doing what I've been doing all along.

Good reading is here:

http://www.carnegiehero.org/

There are nearly ten thousand recipients of the Carnegie Medal. Some of them survived their ordeal, some of them didn't -- the subject of one Texas Historical Marker I photographed recently is looking right at you on the main page, at the far left, second down -- and I expect that the easy ones would be headstones that reference the medal. Historical markers or Signs of History would be acceptable, and I can't see why something similar that doesn't refer the medal would be unacceptable, so long as the appropriate documentation accompanies the submission (like the recipient's listing on the Carnegie site). Maybe even one News Article Location per incident.

QuarrellaDeVil wrote me saying that he has no intention of proceeding, only that he thought this would be a good category. He told me to go ahead with it if I wished. I believe I will, but not right now. Probably in July or maybe even August, after we've gotten some other things out of the way.

So, tell me what you want to see here and what you don't want to see and we'll (eventually) get on with it. The main reason I want to continue with the category is that I feel it needs to see the light of day, giving recognition to our heroes. For all I know we may never find a Waymark to submit to the category but I'm quite sure a lot of Waymarkers will.

Keith

I would like to see the category focused on the HEROES and their stories, and not the mere presence of metal on a tombstone. Not all Carnegie Medal recipient have medallions on their tombstones -- the vast majority do NOT. Each recipient of the award does receive a medallion, but it appears that in many cases the families want to keep the medallion as an heirloom, instead of affixing it to the recipient's tombstone.

If the focus of the category will be Carnegie Medal recipients, then it should be permitted to waymark their graves (if they are deceased), the location of their heroic act (a marina or visitor center at a lake where a drowning person was rescued, or the address of an awarded fire rescue for example), or other place that is reasonably tied to the hero or their recognized action.

I also would not be averse to expanding the category to other equivalent heroism awards worldwide.

Beginning my search for a Carnegie Medal waymark, my first candidate individual was also awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM), likely for the same service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Medal

If I use that candidate individual to waymark, I could choose the place of burial,

the place of rescue,

the individual's place of employment and/or

the individual's place of residence;

all of which would be documented by off-line records such as newspapers.