Geocache elevation

22Bongo

How do I find the elevation of a geocache that I haven't found?

This topic has also been discussed in the context of where the area around GZ varies widely. The altitude could clue you in on whether to search high or low. For example, I searched for a cache on or near steps in a terraced parking lot. In that case, the difference in altitude (maybe 10 meters or 40 feet) would have been less than the accuracy of the device I was using.

Old thread but I'll ask here (vs. starting a new thread).  I've updated my file on GSAK - I've done the update elevation - I've done the force elevation update, etc.

But I still have a few dozen geocaches that display a 0 ft. elevation - In cases where I know with 100% certainty the cache isn't at 0 ft.  Just an example -

GC7HDV0.   In an area with no sharp drop-offs, etc.  Google Earth Pro shows an elevation of 3947 feet (so that should be within 5 to 10 feet of the elevation). 

GSAK - no matter what - continues to show 0 feet.

Is it possible that the elevation simply hasn't been included in the cache info?

18 minutes ago, gcstraggler said:

[...]

GSAK - no matter what - continues to show 0 feet.

Is it possible that the elevation simply hasn't been included in the cache info?

Don't blame GSAK. The error is on your side:

I just loaded this cache:

f8f67eb5fea57a48e44ca6f3358340af.png

Result in GSAK:

ffa841ebb602486881bedc58903b2a6c.png

You must do something wrong.

Hans

Edited by HHL
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, gcstraggler said:

Just for the sake of completeness in case someone else reads this in the future, elevation information isn't included anywhere within the geocaching.com database. Cache listings don't have anywhere you can enter the elevation, nor is it added automatically by the site. Third-party tools like GSAK use their own systems to assign elevations to caches, and that's all done independently of geocaching.com.

• Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

Just for the sake of completeness in case someone else reads this in the future, elevation information isn't included anywhere within the geocaching.com database. Cache listings don't have anywhere you can enter the elevation, nor is it added automatically by the site. Third-party tools like GSAK use their own systems to assign elevations to caches, and that's all done independently of geocaching.com.

Yep, same with county information.

• Helpful 1