what does this team?

Jayeffel

I've seen several caches with a log note " dipped a TB" , or "Visited again to dip a trackable". I know what a trackable is, but what is meant by "Dipping"? Just a sneaky way to get "credit" for non-moving trackables?

The topic was meant to say What Does This Mean?

Edited by Jayeffel

It means visiting the trackable into that cache, to have the cache show on the TB logs.

In the old days, there was no "visit" type log, so cachers would drop the trackable in a cache, then immediately retrieve it again. If one pictures this as a physical act, it would look like just dipping the TB into the cache - a quick in/out. The term stuck even after the "visit" log was in play.

I've seen several caches with a log note " dipped a TB" , or "Visited again to dip a trackable". I know what a trackable is, but what is meant by "Dipping"? Just a sneaky way to get "credit" for non-moving trackables?

One of the reasons this is done, not that I have ever done it, is some folks have their own trackable not placed into a cache. They "dip" it into each cache they find in the order they find the cache and it tracks their finds and distance travelled. Not sure what other reason they do it for - maybe some "badge" level?

The info that it provides as I listed above is available from other statistics available freely on the web.

So I could have a trackable and go through the website, look at many caches, sign the log as "Dipping" , record the trackable at each cache log, and make it look like I actually visited each cache shown.

Yes, if you were dishonest and used Write Note logs rather than Found It logs (in case the COs delete your fake find logs). :) Geocaching depends a lot upon honesty.

We have a few friends who "visit" trackables to caches they've found as a family.

Each trackable belongs to one of their kids, who then have a record of each cache find they were present.

If they'd like to have their own account when older, easy to back-log caches. :)

We don't see it as often, but have seen some who dip/visit past caches ("visited again"), maybe with a similar reason.

Some time ago, there was an option in one of the phone apps (I think it was one of the GS apps, but don't quote me) where it would log a TB Visit for every trackable in your inventory whenever you logged a 'Find'.

So, if you had a box with 275 TBs in it sitting in your garage, every one of them would get logged as a 'Visit' to every cache you found. Obviously bogus. Consider the cases where you're on vacation, or finding a cache at the top of a tall tree- or cliff-climb!

But, there are also other legitimate reasons to do this. If I actually carry a trackable with me to a cache, and decide not to leave it (perhaps it turns out that the container's too small), I would absolutely log a visit, because it would accurately reflect that the TB made the journey and should get credit for the mileage, even if it's only crow-fly distance.

As someone else said, some people have 'personal', ungrabable travel bugs, and they want to map their caching journey. I've seen very nifty trackable medallions nailed to walking sticks. And T-shirts. And trackables hanging from dog-collars. Sometimes, those dogs were wearing those T-shirts!

As others have indicated, visiting/dipping a trackable is just a shortcut for dropping it and then grabbing it back.

I have a trackable item that I log as visiting (dipping) whenever I take it with me to a cache/event.

A while back, I grabbed a trackable that had a mission to visit caches near playgrounds. That was easy enough; I was working on a streak, and was visiting caches near playgrounds fairly often. But none of them were big enough to drop the trackable into, so I just logged visits (and posted photos).

Edited by niraD

Some time ago, there was an option in one of the phone apps (I think it was one of the GS apps, but don't quote me) where it would log a TB Visit for every trackable in your inventory whenever you logged a 'Find'.

The Android app CacheSense had an option where you could specify which trackable(s) that you had in your inventory would be auto-visited every time you posted a cache log. I had a "Log My Dog' trackable on my dog's collar and it was fun to show all the caches she had visited with me. I used the 'auto-visit' option for a while, thinking it would show how far we traveled while caching. I stopped using it when I saw that it just measured straight-line from cache to cache, which was not at all how we had travelled.

So I could have a trackable and go through the website, look at many caches, sign the log as "Dipping" , record the trackableat each cache log, and make it look like I actually visited each cache shown.

Yes, you can do this if you want a reputatation as a dishonest phony. Most geocachers would only "dip" trackables in caches they actually visited.

Edited by briansnat