Placing a disposable camera in a cache?

Zaise

I'm considering putting a disposable camera in one of my larger caches and I was wondering if I could get some tips from others who have placed them in their caches. I'm mostly worried about the camera being stolen. Is there any way I could secure it to the inside of the container in a fashion that I could remove & replace it fairly easily once the camera's filled up?

I was also thinking of putting in a cheap digital camera people could record something if they so chose, but I'm almost certain that would get stolen fairly quickly.

I wouldn't worry too much about it getting stolen. They have very little value especially if some shots have been taken.

If it's in an ammo can well hidden off the trail, it should last long enough. Used to be common to see them, but haven't seen too many lately.

I don't think anyone would bother your disposable camera, and think if anyone uses it, it would be a nice change.

Often, by cache pic, ours are the only ones there, so can't hurt... :)

I would enjoy a nice cache with a water proof camera. I would tether it inside an ammo can and hide it away from Muggles and make it a PMO listing.

I haven't seen a camera-loaded cache in a long time. It's a really cool idea.

I'd bet they're mostly gone for two reasons:

2. Most people don't put anything of even marginal value in caches anymore. People steal - even a half-exposed roll of film.
  3. The same reason that UFO sightings have plummeted over the last decade - virtually EVERYBODY is carrying a camera on their hip!

Just as easy and very common to have a cache page say "Please take a photo of yourself and upload it with your log!"

To be successful, there should be a difference that sets it apart from the average "Upload a Photo" request. What was your intent in asking people to take pictures?

I'd love to see a creative reason to do this again, and as Manville said, tethered, and PMO.

Now that most of our remaining hides are higher D/t (like ChileHead said, well hidden, off the trail), we've noticed none of the issues we had earlieron our simpler hides

- And without the need to make 'em pmo. Go figure. :)

I don't see any benefit to "tethering" a disposable camera.

Anything you'd tether it with would have to be thin enough to fit within the container if you're expecting people to stand.

Although, "Please place your chin on the container and say CHEESE. Thanks!" would be fun. :D

I remember when those were introduced. It was fun when the owner retrieved the camera and posted the photos in the cache gallery. That was where I first learned the faces of people I'd encountered only through logs or caches they'd hidden. I agree that they should be placed in caches that are relatively remote (and maybe PMO) to avoid muggles. I also agree that there should be good light wherever it is. Those old photos were usually very dark. Maybe post instructions on the cache page or in the cache telling people to move into the nearby clearing, etc.

This was actually quite common in the early days of geocaching. Unfortunately today there are a lot of clueless cachers out there who would have no idea what they are there for and might take then as swag.

I had the opposite problem once. I got a really good deal on a bunch of disposable cameras and put them in my caches, still wrapped, intending them as swag. Finders kept opening them and taking pics and leaving them. Finally I had to put a note on each one saying it was swag and not to "snap and leave".