Things are looking up

elyob

Which reminds me of International Space Station Sightings. :laughing:

I have failed at that category so many times.

Yep. Going on 3 years for me. :( I still enjoy watching it flyover, I just gave up on ever Waymarking it. There are just not enough Waymarkers in the US.

Agree, we have attempted on several occasions. I will ask Keith to look into it and see if we can connect while visiting Montana and Wyoming early this summer. We will be in contact with you by email with more information, whether it is possible or not.

Yep. Going on 3 years for me. :( I still enjoy watching it flyover, I just gave up on ever Waymarking it. There are just not enough Waymarkers in the US.

In June we'll be in eastern/central Montana. Billings is as far east as we plan o go. I'll have a look and see if there are any possibilities.

EDIT: 20 minutes later - just checked Heavens Above. No luck, several good passes over Billings in the first half of June, but none of them visible at your place. Nothing in the second half of the month.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Elyob and Manville Possum - you two should be able to do it. Find a southwest to northeast track halfway between the two of you with the right timing and you're away.

Here's one on May 8 that might work for you.

A closer look tells me that it WILL WORK for you. It'll peak at 50° for Elyob and be much higher for Manville Possum, visible from just southwest of Manville Possum to well northeast of Elyob. Now just pray for clear skies. :)

Here's the Passes Page for Elyob for early May.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Elyob and Manville Possum - you two should be able to do it. Find a southwest to northeast track halfway between the two of you with the right timing and you're away.

A closer look tells me that it WILL WORK for you. It'll peak at 50° for Elyob and be much higher for Manville Possum, visible from just southwest of Manville Possum to well northeast of Elyob. Now just pray for clear skies. :)

Keith

Sounds like a date. I need a good refresher on the category. I have a phone app that alerts me when the ISS is passing by my location. :)

Keith

Sounds like a date. I need a good refresher on the category. I have a phone app that alerts me when the ISS is passing by my location. :)

That should go into that discussion on "How Far Would You Go" to get a Waymark, or some such that I remember being discussed a couple of years ago.

To Manville Possum and other waymarkers who happen to be in or near Appalachia,

Can you be available extremely early next Monday morning, May 8, 04h42 to 04h48, in an attempt to get that International Space Station Sighting? Even if only two or three of us get to post the waymark, anyone seeing the ISS at that time can get credit with a visit and the exceedingly rare grid icon.

To Manville Possum and other waymarkers who happen to be in or near Appalachia,

Can you be available extremely early next Monday morning, May 8, 04h42 to 04h48, in an attempt to get that International Space Station Sighting? Even if only two or three of us get to post the waymark, anyone seeing the ISS at that time can get credit with a visit and the exceedingly rare grid icon.

I'm available. I'm not but a few mile from the town of Appalachia, Virginia. :)

I hope other waymarkers are up early to help us track the ISS. My forecast includes a chance of snow flurries.

We had a little fog this morning, but I'm going to be at a higher elevation and away from lights tonight to try and view the flyover. We are having very nice but cool weather today with a sunny forcast for tomorrow.

BK-Hunters deserve an assist even if no goal is scored.

Which, for Elyob at least, might be the case. I just checked your WX, too. Doesn't look good.

Does look better for the Possum Guy, though. He may need another partner for this dance.

Keith

I think Manville Possum is still fine-tuning his waymark or perhaps working up the courage to submit it as is.

No, I have not done anything other than view the flyover at the time we agreed on. I attempted to take the required photo of my GPS unit on those charts, the photo that I posted on your WM, and the screen is not readable. I'm sure that the reviewer is looking for a time and date stamp, and the only one I have was taken at 5:28 AM from about 200 meters away.

Waymarking can be disappointing, and there are several categories that I just don't attempt for that reason.

I'll do whatever I can to assist you get credit, but other than watching the ISS flyover, I don't have much interest in the category. It has been 3 years, and just another locationless category. :(

I think Manville Possum is still fine-tuning his waymark or perhaps working up the courage to submit it as is.

No, I have not done anything other than view the flyover at the time we agreed on. I attempted to take the required photo of my GPS unit on those charts, the photo that I posted on your WM, and the screen is not readable. I'm sure that the reviewer is looking for a time and date stamp, and the only one I have was taken at 5:28 AM from about 200 meters away.

Waymarking can be disappointing, and there are several categories that I just don't attempt for that reason.

I'll do whatever I can to assist you get credit, but other than watching the ISS flyover, I don't have much interest in the category. It has been 3 years, and just another locationless category. :(

I'm a reviewer for the ISS Sightings. No photo is required except the photo of the ground path map.

Elyob did a great writeup on his observation. Just waiting for Manville Possum to write his up and submit.

By the way, that pass went right over my home in Donna, TX (near Mexico) at 86 degrees. It became visible 2 minutes past my horizon to the NE.

I'm a reviewer for the ISS Sightings. No photo is required except the photo of the ground path map.

Elyob did a great writeup on his observation. Just waiting for Manville Possum to write his up and submit.

By the way, that pass went right over my home in Donna, TX (near Mexico) at 86 degrees. It became visible 2 minutes past my horizon to the NE.

I have a photo with two ground path maps and a GPS unit, but the screen was too bright in my photo. I was quite upset that it turned out badly. It has taken over 3 years to get this far, so you can imagine how upsetting a bad WM photo would be. :(

I did get a good view of the flyover this time. :)

WE DID IT. Manville Possum, thank you.

Thank you, elyob and 8Nuts MotherGoose for the encouragement and your assistance filling this grid. :)

Congrats, guys!!!

You had me worried there for a bit until 8Nuts MotherGoose came to the rescue.

Way to GOOOOOOO!!! :) :)

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

WE DID IT. Manville Possum, thank you.

Thank you, elyob and 8Nuts MotherGoose for the encouragement and your assistance filling this grid. :)

Congrats, guys!!!

You had me worried there for a bit until 8Nuts MotherGoose came to the rescue.

Way to GOOOOOOO!!! :) :)

Keith

When my children were small we would watch this kid's movie, Ice Age. There was this squirrel that had found a nut, and every time he try to eat that nut, bad stuff happen, and he lose the nut or something. Sometimes I feel like that squirrel. :D

Thank you all for the encouragement. :)

Flag displays and radio towers and space stations, what's next?

I just recently started attempting to fill grids, and I need a roller-coaster and an Arby's restaurant. B)

Are you serious? Arby's?

Yes, but it's not a problem to find one. I have a few other WM's stagnating in review queue as well, what I am attempting is to fill a bingo grid. B)