Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BK-Hunters

Lychgates

9 posts in this topic

With the spate of new category proposals, it made me think of a category I believe someone proposed eons ago.

Lychgates - (A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, lyke-gate or as two separate words lych gate, (from Old English lic, corpse) is a gateway covered with a roof found at the entrance to a traditional English or English-style churchyard.)

Was this once proposed or am I dreaming once again (or should that be still)?

Keith

With the spate of new category proposals, it made me think of a category I believe someone proposed eons ago.

Lychgates - (A lychgate, also spelled lichgate, lycugate, lyke-gate or as two separate words lych gate, (from Old English lic, corpse) is a gateway covered with a roof found at the entrance to a traditional English or English-style churchyard.)

Keith

I thought that category idea died for underprevalence and non-global reasons.

Posted (edited)

The thread is HERE.

Seems so - oh well...

EDIT: Maybe not - non-global(ity?)(ness?)(ification?) was mentioned once by Rikitan. Most of the rest of the thread contained Q & A dealing with clarification of what a lychgate was and was not.

Our personal experience with lychgates is limited to parts of North America. They are somewhat common here, especially in relation to Anglican and Presbyterian churches, as I recall.

We also encountered one at a cemetery. It was used as cover for caskets to keep them out of the sun while a grave was being dug or before a funeral ceremony had begun.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

I can think of three without really thinking. One I've waymarked as a war memorial. All are associated with Anglican churches. That's two hemispheres covered.

Without success, I have been looking for one since the category was suggested two years ago.

I can think of three without really thinking. One I've waymarked as a war memorial. All are associated with Anglican churches. That's two hemispheres covered.

In the UK they are often repaired/replaced as a memorial, often to those who died in the war (First and Second World War) and sometimes the local Gentry/Lord etc...

I did not expect to find any in my home country, but by chance I walked across a municipal cemetery of a very rural village with a very nice one. It looked quite new (less than 10 years). Maybe it's the only one all over the country, but one is better than none.

I can think of three without really thinking. That's two hemispheres covered.

"two hemispheres" - we've got the world covered, then. :rolleyes:

I remember one in PEI that has become a citizen memorial. All the ones I can think of were associated with churches about 100 (or more) years old. There's one at the Anglican Cathedral in Spokane.

Keith

Keith

Definitely two good reasons for its death.