OpenCycleMap

Hi all,

If you switch the map view to OpenCycleMap, does anyone know what is signified by the dotted lines? Today we were out cycling from Nailsea out to Clevedon down in North Somerset and on the way back we planned to try what looks to be indicated as route 33. It turns out that there really isn't any kind of cycle path at all, more a mixture of plain fields and locked gates and we had to abandon the plan and go back the way we came.

Checking the OpenCycleMap site itself, the same maps are there with the same dotted lines and there's also a key - but the dotted version of the lines doesn't appear on that key.

Any ideas?

If you go to openstreetmap.org, create an account and login - you can edit that location.

When editing you'll see the full range of paths, including whatever is at that location. You can also fix that bit, as obviously it's incorrect if it's denoting a path of some sort.

This is the strength of OSM (which includes Opencyclemap) - that users can fix anything they find that's not right. I find it interesting and often improve the map following a walk or cycle ride whilst caching.

Please don't just jump in and start changing stuff in the OpenStreetMap database without making absolutely sure you know what you're doing and your information is correct. A lot of damage can easily be done by well meaning folk before they get acquainted with OSM mapping. 

I checked the sections of Route 33 that you refer to and in the OSM relation for these sections, the route is clearly marked as 'proposed'. Thus the ways are represented as dotted, so when you see a dotted way on any OpenStreetMap it is a proposed route or a route/area under construction. 

Regards Bernard

Edited by BCNorwich

Do you have to be logged in before you can see the info about proposed routes? It does seem a bit counterintuitive to me that a map would show a route that might be there at some point in the future. Make it an option that can be chosen 'please show proposed routes' certainly, but having them on the default view?

On the OSM site itself, if you click the question mark ("query features") then click the feature you're questioning, it'll give you information about that feature. If I click on part of that route you mentioned, I get:

Nearby features

Drain #29987381

Bridleway #29987449

Relation National Cycle Network Route 33 (Proposed)

Perhaps it's already a small, dirt track, or was there absolutely no feature at all?

On the OSM site itself, if you click the question mark ("query features") then click the feature you're questioning, it'll give you information about that feature. If I click on part of that route you mentioned, I get:

Nearby features

Drain #29987381

Bridleway #29987449

Relation National Cycle Network Route 33 (Proposed)

Perhaps it's already a small, dirt track, or was there absolutely no feature at all?

As we turned off Cooks Lane and started heading East it was definitely dirt track type terrain, but then just appeared to stop. We also definitely didn't see any Bridleway signage.