Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manville Possum

New Group ~ Officers Needed

40 posts in this topic

I think that most of us Waymarkers have encountered Feral Cat Colonies in retail store parking lots and parks, ect. About all that I have seen has a "feeding station" where people drop off cat food and water. I would like to create a category to manage them.

I formed the Cat Whisperers group. Ideas can be discussed here in the forums on how to proceed.

Posted (edited)

I think that most of us Waymarkers have encountered Feral Cat Colonies in retail store parking lots and parks, ect. About all that I have seen has a "feeding station" where people drop off cat food and water. I would like to create a category to manage them.

I formed the Cat Whisperers group. Ideas can be discussed here in the forums on how to proceed.

:anibad::ph34r: Too funny!

Edited by iconions

:anibad::ph34r: Too funny!

It's been a long standing idea of mine. :rolleyes: I have adopted Wal-Mart fur babies, and my daughter and I feed a few cats in two colonies in town. Our local recycle and dumps have colonies, but not over prevalent. I believe it would make a good Waymarking category. :)

The group has reached the required number of officers. Are there any questions or comments here in the forum before proceeding? :)

Posted (edited)

Okay, seems my new category has hit a snag. Anyone ever encounter this when attempting to create a new category?

The category you are attempting to create already exists, or is being reviewed for another group. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I know that this idea was presented on April 1st, but my idea is not a joke. Here is a link to what I'm attempting to Waymark.

Feral Cat Feeding Stations

Tracking feral cat colonys

Edit to add: It was just a glitch, similar to the one I sometimes get when approving WM's.

Edited by Manville Possum

I am really not digging the idea of Waymarking public cat food bowls. These are EVERYWHERE outside of public buildings, anyplace kind-hearted office workers see a scroungy cat. And none of these feral cat feeding stations are permanent, since once the cat dies or gets adopted, the food gets picked up.

Larger feral cat colonies are also impermanent. The cats move according to changing conditions in the environment.

Feral cat colonies have a high disease rate among the cats. How many pet-owning waymarkers would want to seek these out, possibly bringing home something awful to THEIR pet?

Feral cat colonies can be public health hazards by transmitting diseases - either to humans or other animals. They can also be smelly or disruptive public nuisances.

I say all that as a cat LOVER -- who is not loving this category idea.

I am really not digging the idea of Waymarking public cat food bowls. These are EVERYWHERE outside of public buildings, anyplace kind-hearted office workers see a scroungy cat. And none of these feral cat feeding stations are permanent, since once the cat dies or gets adopted, the food gets picked up.

Larger feral cat colonies are also impermanent. The cats move according to changing conditions in the environment.

Feral cat colonies have a high disease rate among the cats. How many pet-owning waymarkers would want to seek these out, possibly bringing home something awful to THEIR pet?

Feral cat colonies can be public health hazards by transmitting diseases - either to humans or other animals. They can also be smelly or disruptive public nuisances.

I say all that as a cat LOVER -- who is not loving this category idea.

Thank you for your opinion, but my it is not my intent to WM public cat food bowls, but feeding stations. They are established shelters that contain food for the cats. Some are TNR (trap nuter return) locations.

You make some good points about feral cats being health hazards, and it's up to kind hearted people to try and manage them. All I am suggesting here is to create a category for people that may be interested in helping the cats. There is already a few groups that track them, so it's not a new idea. Just one that I wanted to bring to Waymarking, but as usual Waymarking only works for a few members here. I'm still proceeding with my idea, for the homeless cats. :(

Here is a group of cat herders. All of the cat colonies that I am aware of have been around 10 years or more.

Posted (edited)

Here is a group of cat herders. All of the cat colonies that I am aware of have been around 10 years or more.

Thank heavens for the "cat people". We have them in NZ too. Interesting article...The Cat People.

Edited by Punga and Paua

Oh, man, sign me up! I *love* feeding them. When I see a cat, I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

Oh, man, sign me up! I *love* feeding them. When I see a cat, I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.

A true Cat Whisperer slowly earns the trust of the the herd. :) Then we box em' up and they get neutered. :D

Not much input here in the forums, so I sent it to peer review. Seems that is how it works here now. :)

Well, because of lack of feedback here in the forum I submitted the category for peer review which is returning very biased and uneducated opinions, but it is working to get the needed input for the category. :)

Worst two negative votes so far:

1. "I dislike any cats..." :(

2."I am not generally against it but it needs more work. You should discuss any new idea in the forum first." :blink:

Well, because of lack of feedback here in the forum I submitted the category for peer review

Sorry, I missed this discussion. I actually voted "No" because I didn't see a forum discussion. I will change my vote to "Abstain" but I still think the submission was a little premature and there is more work that needs to be done.

Well, because of lack of feedback here in the forum I submitted the category for peer review

Sorry, I missed this discussion. I actually voted "No" because I didn't see a forum discussion. I will change my vote to "Abstain" but I still think the submission was a little premature and there is more work that needs to be done.

It does need more work, and ideas. Seemed to me the idea stalled here in the forums. Other than the I hate cats, wild ones are murderers people, there were some good points made that I need to educate more people on what a feeding station is. It's not redundant with bird feeders. No one lures in wild birds to trap and desex them. <_<

And it's not Redundant with Insect Hotels either. :blink: And yes, it is actually global, there are some countries that do care.

Posted (edited)

And it's not Redundant with Insect Hotels either. :blink: And yes, it is actually global, there are some countries that do care.

That was a joke - but I'll go remove it.

I care about animals very deeply. I have had many wonderful cats who were family. It's horrible to see any animal suffer, and I both donate and volunteer to help animals at my local shelter.

But I dont think Waymarking feral cat colonies is a good category idea. It won't help the cats, but it could endanger waymarkers who might come in contact with diseased cats or their feces.

If you want to really help feral cats, it's better to give money, drop off food, or volunteer your time with animal welfare organizations than it is to send waymarkers with cameras out into the wild to take pictures of a Rubbermaid box with its sides cut out.

I admit that I am still not sure this is a serious category. I just can't shake the feeling I am being trolled. Thus, the joke.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

But I dont think Waymarking feral cat colonies is a good category idea. It won't help the cats, but it could endanger waymarkers who might come in contact with diseased cats or their faces.

Same could be said about Dovecotes, but only if the Waymarker gets out of the vehicle to take the photos. <_< Pigeons are like winged rats that spread disease, public nuisance, crap all over Waymarks and everything and they get a category? :(

The category needs some work, and I have some better ideas from other Waymarkers in peer review now, so I'll make some adjustments and resubmit. :)

Posted (edited)

If you want to really help feral cats, it's better to give money, drop off food, or volunteer your time with animal welfare organizations than it is to send waymarkers with cameras out into the wild to take pictures of a Rubbermaid box with its sides cut out.

I admit that I am still not sure this is a serious category. I just can't shake the feeling I am being trolled. Thus, the joke.

Trust me, I do help some cats, but what I'm wanting to do here is create a new Waymarking category. And no, you are not being trolled.

Edit to add: I'm not interested in sending Waymarkers in the woods through cat feces to take pictures of Rubbermaid containers with a hole cut in the side. That is geocaching. :D

I'm looking for established feeding stations, trap neuter release areas. They do exist. :)

Imagine a small dog house that can contain one of these Tomahawks

Posted (edited)

Trust me, I do help some cats, but what I'm wanting to do here is create a new Waymarking category. And no, you are not being trolled.

Edit to add: I'm not interested in sending Waymarkers in the woods through cat feces to take pictures of Rubbermaid containers with a hole cut in the side. That is geocaching. :D

I'm looking for established feeding stations, trap neuter release areas. They do exist. :)

Imagine a small dog house that can contain one of these Tomahawks

First: that's a pretty good geocaching joke, ha ha :)

Next: The fundamental issue is that feral cat colonies are not permanent. The cats die, or move, or get taken in, or get adopted, or get captured, or otherwise disappear. Successful TNR programs for feral cat colony management will usually eliminate the colony within 7 years through natural attrition. So -- why is this trying to be a category?

Or maybe we create a category called Ephemera, where ONLY things that are IMPERMANENT BY NATURE can be waymarked. Permanence defined as some set period of time - 5 minutes, 1 day, 2 weeks, whatever. If it won't last, preserve it's memory here. Virtual visits are welcomed and no photos required! Waymarks CAN be on private property and inaccessible, because they won't be there anyway!! :) Say you saw it on the waymark page, and log that visit!!

Just think of all the things we could waymark:

Interesting cloud formations (we are partial to dinosaurs)

Rainbows

A particularly pretty flower

A cool bug on the window

A fart

A nasty DNA donation relic from a caching adventure (maybe a possibility for multiple waymarks as healing occurs)

A fun puddle after a rainstorm

Anything and everything that is guaranteed not to be there if you want to visit.

:anibad:

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Same could be said about Dovecotes, but only if the Waymarker gets out of the vehicle to take the photos. <_< Pigeons are like winged rats that spread disease, public nuisance, crap all over Waymarks and everything and they get a category? :(

The category needs some work, and I have some better ideas from other Waymarkers in peer review now, so I'll make some adjustments and resubmit. :)

My humble opinion: The Dovecotes category is not because of the pigeons. It's because they are intersting objects of various material and of various ages and some of them have an intersting history. I don't see all that with the cat feeding stations. Some pieces of wood nailed together to built a shelter for cats and their food is (for me) neither interesting nor informative.

My humble opinion: The Dovecotes category is not because of the pigeons. It's because they are intersting objects of various material and of various ages and some of them have an intersting history. I don't see all that with the cat feeding stations. Some pieces of wood nailed together to built a shelter for cats and their food is (for me) neither interesting nor informative.

As an officer of the Dovecotes category, I can definitively state that the Dovecote category was NEVER about Waymarking the pigeons themselves. It was ALWAYS about the beauty, history, and variety of the waymarkable historical and modern structures used (from Roman times to the present day) to house pigeons, with the added benefit of explaining the ancient social, custom (and social-class identifier) of keeping pigeons. These factors make dovecotes interesting, global, not overprevalent, and permanent.

Just think of all the things we could waymark:

Interesting cloud formations (we are partial to dinosaurs)

Rainbows

A particularly pretty flower

A cool bug on the window

A fart

A nasty DNA donation relic from a caching adventure (maybe a possibility for multiple waymarks as healing occurs)

A fun puddle after a rainstorm

Anything and everything that is guaranteed not to be there if you want to visit.

:anibad:

Exactly. Like public art on display. It gets moved, the Waymark stays. Lots of WM's are missing. Relocated structures is already a category.

Space invaders graffiti, they get removed after defacing property, but the WM stays. Lots of WM's are semi-permanent.

Look, Waymarking is soon to be retired. The forums here have turned sour, Waymarking is only working for a few members.TR I don't find phone booths or McDonald's to be interesting enough to Waymark, but others do. It was my idea to Waymark something that I found of interest and all I'm asking is for the community to support my idea.

Truthfully, I'm tired of supporting Waymarking with my Premium Membership if I can't use it to create a new category. I'm tired of just Waymarking other's ideas. Every idea I present is rejected in the forums. :( But when you look close, the forums here are just a few regulars. B) I'm just trying to make use of a site that I pay to support while it's still around for a short time. :ph34r:

As an officer of the Dovecotes category, I can definitively state that the Dovecote category was NEVER about Waymarking the pigeons themselves. It was ALWAYS about the beauty, history, and variety of the waymarkable historical and modern structures used (from Roman times to the present day) to house pigeons, with the added benefit of explaining the ancient social, custom (and social-class identifier) of keeping pigeons. These factors make dovecotes interesting, global, not overprevalent, and permanent.

They are not permanent, they are large bird houses and should have been listed in the existing category for them. They are as much about the pigeons as feeding stations are about feral cats. <_<

Posted (edited)

Appears that quite a few still think this is an April fool's joke, and for that reason they are voting against it.

Here are some examples of homemade Feral Cat Shelters. They are more than just a box with a hole in it.

Here is some information on feeding feral cats.

Okay, so if I attach a collection box to a feeding station and charge a dollar on the honor system then the feeding station can be accepted to the Feeding the Animals category? B)

Those that are taking peer review seriously have made some good points on the category and it has been helpful. :)

At first I doubted the seriousness of this category. However I also didn't like the smart-a** replies on the vote and decided to research it, and by looking up Feral Cat Colonies in Yahoo Search, I was amazed at the number of websites of different organizations that deal with this subject, managing feral cat colonies, feeding, neutering and releasing. If all these people involved are convinced that this works and is a good thing then I have to ask myself how a few unknowledgable waymarkers who obviously know nothing about the subject can judge it in the peer review vote?

I'd like to add my support to Manville Possum, I have also wondered why I continue to financially support Waymarking. I keep at it because some of the categories really interest me, but many of them seem boring and silly. Perhaps we need some more fun categories like photo goals for those non-permanent waymarks that were suggested. I also notice the forums deteriorating, just the same few voices and some that think they run the show. Feral Cat Colony Feeding Stations may not appeal to everyone but is it fair to vote Nay just because you don't like cats, or because you think they have diseases. I don't think people are taking this category seriously enough. I suggest you do some research.

Look, Waymarking is soon to be retired. The forums here have turned sour, Waymarking is only working for a few members.TR I don't find phone booths or McDonald's to be interesting enough to Waymark, but others do. It was my idea to Waymark something that I found of interest and all I'm asking is for the community to support my idea.

Truthfully, I'm tired of supporting Waymarking with my Premium Membership if I can't use it to create a new category. I'm tired of just Waymarking other's ideas. Every idea I present is rejected in the forums. :( But when you look close, the forums here are just a few regulars. B) I'm just trying to make use of a site that I pay to support while it's still around for a short time. :ph34r:

Hi there... regarding the first sentence, well, WM has been around for some years now and didn't change much. Forums have the same spirit and there are just a few members active in the game. I have to say that your approach to the situation made me think of what I imagine would be the approach of the geocachers who ruined that game for me... those who wanted and were allowed to create caches in gas stations, just because, and bus stops and everywhere.

Now, I understand your feelings and frustration. I've been there. With time I learned to respect the voice of the majority and to not take personally and declination of my Waymarks. I don't even care about private flames like the one I was offered today because I declined a WM which title was not in conformity with the category rules. I just feel I can have fun and feel pleasure creating WM's despite all these things.

And I am sure there is nothing personal from the community of usual voters against you and your categories. Myself, I quit creating and propose new categories because there is too much work in this and always the risk of see them rejected. But I am not upset with the community. It's the way things are and I accept it. Again, I still have loads of fun playing and participating with new WM's and this is my thing in Waymarking.

Posted (edited)

At first I doubted the seriousness of this category. However I also didn't like the smart-a** replies on the vote and decided to research it, and by looking up Feral Cat Colonies in Yahoo Search, I was amazed at the number of websites of different organizations that deal with this subject, managing feral cat colonies, feeding, neutering and releasing. If all these people involved are convinced that this works and is a good thing then I have to ask myself how a few unknowledgable waymarkers who obviously know nothing about the subject can judge it in the peer review vote?

I'd like to add my support to Manville Possum, I have also wondered why I continue to financially support Waymarking. I keep at it because some of the categories really interest me, but many of them seem boring and silly. Perhaps we need some more fun categories like photo goals for those non-permanent waymarks that were suggested. I also notice the forums deteriorating, just the same few voices and some that think they run the show. Feral Cat Colony Feeding Stations may not appeal to everyone but is it fair to vote Nay just because you don't like cats, or because you think they have diseases. I don't think people are taking this category seriously enough. I suggest you do some research.

I actually did research. I found that these feeding stations can be illegal in certain jurisdictions, and also can cause the owner of the stations to expose themselves to lawsuits. That is why I voted no. I also believe that feral cats are as big or bigger problem as feral hogs. The decimation that a population of feral cats can cause on an ecosystem, especially on beneficial bird and reptile populations, is tremendous. The problem - feral cats are cute, feral hogs are not, and people will not stand for the killing of feral cats like they do the feral hog population. If the category is declined, why not turn it into a photo goal? Just a suggestion.

I applaud the member for putting his idea for a category out for a vote, however, the member also should be ready to accept the verdict of the Waymarking community for his proposal. The community at large votes to accept or reject new categories and getting upset when the vote doesn't go the way one wants doesn't reflect well. By the same token, members belittling the proposed category also doesn't reflect well on the community at large. I'm not suggesting we act like grown-ups here - we chase locations on a map with cameras and GPS units (ok, I'm doing this the old-fashioned way), I'm just saying that a little respect on both sides GOES A LONG WAY. (Sorry for the soap box speech - I do Customer Service for a living and it is a pet peeve of mine on internet boards.)

As far as supporting Waymarking, maybe it's dying, maybe it's not. I do know that, as Mark Twain noted and I paraphrase, rumors of Waymarking's impending death have been greatly exaggerated. I know that yesterday, on my lunch hour, I took a 50 minute walk in the Downtown Kansas City, Missouri, area, and took 62 pictures and will probably get 15 waymarks out of those pictures when I process them later this weekend. I would have never taken that walk without Waymarking. So, Happy Friday and Happy Waymarking to everyone!

Edited by iconions

Hi there... regarding the first sentence, well, WM has been around for some years now and didn't change much. Forums have the same spirit and there are just a few members active in the game. I have to say that your approach to the situation made me think of what I imagine would be the approach of the geocachers who ruined that game for me...

Greetings. Waymarking was never intended to replace Geocaching, and I just as you have had other players ruin geocaching for you, the same has happened to me with Waymarking. Most are happy just visiting WM's, and that is fine. But one of the perks of Geocaching HQ Premium Membership is that I can create groups, select officers and we can create new categories,.... just to be put down in the forums and peer review.

Core members here can complain that their WM is not reviewed in a timely manner and the site admin can bypass the group leader and put the complainer in as an officer. That was the great turd in the punch bowl for Waymarking. It's just allowed to exist for a select few. The rest of us are only allowed to play their game, and that gets old when the same people just keep running the show here.

Waymarking has scavenger hunts, now it has turned into scavenging dormant categories from members that got tired of all the BS and quit.

If you blame me for anything, blame me for trying to use the Waymarking site. :(

Something I had not thought about, and a great reason to not ever publish a feeding station location on this site. :blink:

We've had problems in our area with people shooting feral cats in a couple of colonies. If we post their locations, we may end up letting people who want to kill feral cats know where all their colonies are located. I think this could cause harm to not only the colonies, but to the people who bring food to them.

I've already seen too many "I hate cats" as a reason to vote nay in peer review. Waymarking is NOT the place for my idea if it is potentially harmful to the cats. :(

The community at large votes to accept or reject new categories and getting upset when the vote doesn't go the way one wants doesn't reflect well.

I was intending on taking the comments from peer review and reworking the category, then resubmitting it again. I did not realize that I may be putting cats in danger, and I won't do that. :(

If the category is declined, why not turn it into a photo goal? Just a suggestion.

Ya know, that may just be a workable idea. I've already had one idiot abroad request that I delete my first photo goal WM.

So how would "Hold a Feral Cat by the Tail" go over? :laughing:

If the category is declined, why not turn it into a photo goal? Just a suggestion.

Ya know, that may just be a workable idea. I've already had one idiot abroad request that I delete my first photo goal WM.

Your photo goal "hold a Possum by the Tail" was approved yesterday. Explain to me how you are going to delete it if it is not declined. The best you can do is archive it.

If I knew what a possum looked like and I could find one which end has the tail? :lol:

Your photo goal "hold a Possum by the Tail" was approved yesterday. Explain to me how you are going to delete it if it is not declined. The best you can do is archive it.

If I knew what a possum looked like and I could find one which end has the tail? :lol:

After it was approved a Waymarker that did not like it posted a note requesting that it be deleted. :( And no, it doesn't work that way here. :o

"Wanted dead or alive Possum pictures." WMVJBQ

Collecting pictures of dead animals is what you like? Congratulations. I voted against this photo goal waymark!

Posted (edited)

"Wanted dead or alive Possum pictures." WMVJBQ

Collecting pictures of dead animals is what you like? Congratulations. I voted against this photo goal waymark!

If you had explained your dislike I could have worked with you, but you are just a bully. Waymarking has no place for that kind of crap. You are bad Waymarker. <_<

Edit to add: The possum in the picture is alive. I lifted him up to place in a tree away from my small dog in the picture. We came upon the possum while geocaching for a night cache near a Food City shopping center.

And yes, when you voted against my WM you proved that you ignore guidelines and can not be trusted as a category leader or officer. If you can't do your job without bias, then you should abstain your vote.

"Wanted dead or alive Possum pictures." WMVJBQ...

"Long Description:

Have your photo taken holding a possum by the tail. Must be a real Possum, dead or alive."

Guidelines: "Wildlife and the natural environment are not harmed in the pursuit of geocaching (and Waymarking).

Animals don't like to be held on their tails into the air, they are harmed to reach this photo goal. You call people idiots writing you that this isn't a good idea (...I've already had one idiot abroad request that I delete my first photo goal WM).

It's not funny.

Posted (edited)

"Wanted dead or alive Possum pictures." WMVJBQ...

"Long Description:

Have your photo taken holding a possum by the tail. Must be a real Possum, dead or alive."

Guidelines: "Wildlife and the natural environment are not harmed in the pursuit of geocaching (and Waymarking).

Animals don't like to be held on their tails into the air, they are harmed to reach this photo goal. You call people idiots writing you that this isn't a good idea (...I've already had one idiot abroad request that I delete my first photo goal WM).

It's not funny.

There you go making up stuff again, a new made up geocaching guideline that you add the word "Waymarking' to meet you agenda. And you obviously know nothing about holding North American Possums. If need be that you pick one up, you hold it by the tail. They hang by their tails in trees.

They are not harmed to reach this photo goal. Educate yourself man.

Several other photo goals are people holding animals, but you single me out because you hold a personal grudge against me.

When reading the criteria for photo goals as I understand it "The actions should be fun ones that would attract attention from others in a confused or 'rolling of the eyes' kind of way", looks like I got that part correct. :anibad:

As a category officer it is your job to make sure that WM's meet the criteria, not if or not you like or approve, but if it meets criteria. You have gone rouge in Waymarking, which is detrimental to the game for other Waymarkers. :(

Posted (edited)

If you are here ......

My link you found one of two in the same shopping plaza :laughing:

Big Island AdvoCATS

Edited by Jake39