Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 37
The_Capital_Kid

Introduce Yourself

Recommended Posts

On 4/3/2018 at 1:26 AM, wolfsoul4 said:

Hey guys this is my first day actively hunting for caches! I've been scouting ones nearby my work and home near San Diego, hit up five coordinates today and didn't find a thing :-/  guess I'll have to keep trying but excited to do so! 

Gets better with practice. Be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, 321geocache said:

Hi everyone. I started geocaching last year, but found my first geocache this year. I have only found 4 caches, so I can't wait to have an adventure and find some more geocaches!

Some cherish the quality instead of quantity. Be welcome! ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

Caches aren't cared for and logs are almost always wet

at least in my area many are no longer there

wasting time on those missing is discouraging

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

GPS coordinates are seldom close, anyone ever heard of WAAS?

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

 

Edited by istinkbia
added

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, istinkbia said:

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

Caches aren't cared for and logs are almost always wet

at least in my area many are no longer there

wasting time on those missing is discouraging

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

 

I have to say, as a 6 day old geocacher myself (in Norfolk, UK) I've found the same.  However, I'm keeping optimistic for now lol.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, istinkbia said:

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

Caches aren't cared for and logs are almost always wet

at least in my area many are no longer there

wasting time on those missing is discouraging

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

GPS coordinates are seldom close, anyone ever heard of WAAS?

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

 

Welcome!

Don't worry... it gets better with practice. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

All too true.

So, what's to do?

In many places, this is because, like with so many activities that humans are involved in, entropy prevails.

The answer to problems like this lie in two directions:

  • Seek to make others better, or
  • Seek to make it better yourself

You CANNOT make other people better directly. Can you effectively call absent CO's and encourage them to go do maintenance? No. Can you effectively prevail upon the majority of cell-phone cachers (a phrase that's rapidly losing its original meaning, BTW) to properly file "Needs Maintenance" logs, especially since they were made more difficult to file last year? No.

So, the answer lies with you. BE the change you want to see. DEDICATE yourself to bettering geocaching in your corner of the map. FIND a bunch of caches, FIGURE OUT what makes a good cache good, DECIDE what kind of caches YOU like to find, then CREATE SOME! GET a reputation in your local GC community as the newbie that learned quickly and hid great caches. ENCOURAGE greatness in others with creative, descriptive logs. SUPPORT your local cache-owners by finding EVERYTHING in your area (but not always first!) and TELL the CO's that they're appreciated! HOST an event! You don't have to know a THING about geocaching to do that!!! GET TO KNOW your peers. RECRUIT people into the hobby.

--------------------------------------

Finally, don't get caught up in the rules and guidelines. They're important and should ALWAYS be followed, but have tolerance for those that don't think so. You can only control how YOU cache.

Cache morally. Cache ethically. Cache frequently.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone! Newbie here in NW Louisiana. My first cache went live last week. I have a Little Free Library and I added it as an addition to hopefully draw people to the library. That same day I started searching. I didn't know it would be so addicting! I even go on my lunch breaks to find the ones near my work. My son searches with me too. We're making some nice memories. I like the variety of containers I'm finding. Some people are very creative. 

Edited by Panthermom111

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, 321geocache said:

Hi everyone. I started geocaching last year, but found my first geocache this year. I have only found 4 caches, so I can't wait to have an adventure and find some more geocaches!

So get out there and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi from Somerset Uk.

Been geocaching for a while and have placed a few caches in my local area, have not posted on here before, went to post on another section and i see that my post has to be approved, it has not been approved yet so I did not know if I was supposed to post here first, if so sorry!

Share this post


Link to post

Good morning.  Just bought a membership and checked out 4 locations in town.  Harder then it looks.

 We welcome any help especially visual teachers.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, nikkibunny said:

Good morning.  Just bought a membership and checked out 4 locations in town.  Harder then it looks.

 We welcome any help especially visual teachers.

Be welcome, bunny!

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all, Trish and Nate here from Canada looking forward to getting into the geocache lifestyle. Set out today and found 4 so far, was great fun and can't wait to uncover more!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey Everyone,

We are Jennifer & Marcel and we live in Connecticut. We are passionate Urban Explorers/Paranormal Investigators who love to hike and just be out in nature. Geocaching is new to us both but we love it and it looks like we have a new hobby while on our hikes! It's so much fun to find these caches and to see the creative way that they are hidden! Can't wait for the next hike! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you on our journeys! Happy Geocaching!!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, JMEXPLORE said:

We are Jennifer & Marcel and we live in Connecticut.

Be welcome!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JMEXPLORE said:

Hey Everyone,

We are Jennifer & Marcel and we live in Connecticut. We are passionate Urban Explorers/Paranormal Investigators who love to hike and just be out in nature. Geocaching is new to us both but we love it and it looks like we have a new hobby while on our hikes! It's so much fun to find these caches and to see the creative way that they are hidden! Can't wait for the next hike! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you on our journeys! Happy Geocaching!!!! :)

Well, as paranormal investigators, I fully expect some VERY creative caches to come from you guys when you've gotten to that point in your caching careers!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have been playing this off and on for several; years and love the outdoors and excercise I get doing it

I became premium recently as I just wanted to see what I was missing out on 

the map no longer teases me... :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Just a new guy, walking around withe two Kids and a small Dog. Found my first travelbug yesterday. Love the exercise Outdoors and the thrill of the search.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Well, as paranormal investigators, I fully expect some VERY creative caches to come from you guys when you've gotten to that point in your caching careers!

We have just started gathering all the stuff we need to hide some cool caches so look for us to be hiding some very soon!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, OmnibusBrian said:

Just a new guy, walking around withe two Kids and a small Dog. Found my first travelbug yesterday. Love the exercise Outdoors and the thrill of the search.

Willkommen!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi. We are a family of 4 and recently found out about geocaching whilst on holiday in Cyprus from another geocaching member, we found out on the 2nd to last night so we we're slightly gutted we didn't get more time to find, especially as we had a car for 3 days which wasn't used for 3 days. But we managed to find our first 2 before we went home. 

Now we're home we are itching to get out and find more, we have noticed lots of grey private ones in our area! 

 

Still lots of learning to do and lots of fun and walks to be had. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, themidds4 said:

Hi. We are a family of 4... we have noticed lots of grey private ones in our area! 

 

Be welcome all the four... and check your email, please. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

 

Be welcome all the four... and check your email, please. ;)

Thank you so much RuideAlmeida we will defo make use of that and see what all the fun is really about! Have a nice day  :-) 

Share this post


Link to post

hi im dakota, i came to find out about this awesome-seeming hobby by way of the destiny easter egg situation, but looking forward to getting into it with my family hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, dakotahowe said:

hi im dakota, i came to find out about this awesome-seeming hobby by way of the destiny easter egg situation, but looking forward to getting into it with my family hopefully. 

 

Be very welcome, you all!

Share this post


Link to post

Checking in to say hi! A new cacher here, currently based in Denmark. A friend told me about geocaching over a cup of coffee, and of course I had to check it out. You don't tell an OCD person that there are little containers hidden around the town that I've been walking past all along... Working on finding them ALL now. :D

I love animals - tortoises, cats, dogs - as well as coffee, antique shops, languages, daughter, husband, and photography. 

Hoping to look for some caches in Canada this summer.

IMG_2913.thumb.JPG.0f3f7c99766cc73efc097b666fa39fcb.JPG

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I am Flavio from Italy.

I started the game about two weeks ago and I am enjoying a lot, even if I am still not so smart to find caches.

Thanks to another user who told me about this game during a table game session.

 

I hope to give my contribution to forum community, too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 17/05/2018 at 3:56 AM, belangora said:

A new cacher here, currently based in Denmark.

 

Være velkommen!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 17/05/2018 at 5:38 AM, Moscacieca said:

Hi, I am Flavio from Italy.

 

Benvenuto!

Share this post


Link to post

Newbie here from Minnesota.  Hoping to get out with my 7 year old for our first hunt this weekend.  There seems to be some active CO's in the area which is exciting as well!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone!  I am from Florida and hope to meet other fellow Geocachers in my area.  I am somewhat "obsessed" with hiding caches at the moment and finding the most unusual trackables to place in my caches.  I am getting a slight bit better at finding caches that I was when I started but would love a few pointers!  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 22/05/2018 at 9:07 AM, liquidicem said:

Newbie here from Minnesota.  Hoping to get out with my 7 year old for our first hunt this weekend.  There seems to be some active CO's in the area which is exciting as well!

 

Be very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Elektrazz said:

Hi everyone!  I am from Florida...

 

Be very welcome!

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello from Ontario Canada. I'm new to the geocaching world...only 8 finds thus far.

Edited by Munkee29

Share this post


Link to post

New geo hider but been finding for about three years. Curiously wondering how long before your cach is reviewed and posted for others to find?

Thanks, 

Kayak lovers 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Bill2414 said:

New geo hider but been finding for about three years. Curiously wondering how long before your cach is reviewed and posted for others to find?

 

The Help Center says the review process usually begins within seven days ...IF you remembered to hit the submit button.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2018 at 4:54 PM, Munkee29 said:

Hello from Ontario Canada. I'm new to the geocaching world...only 8 finds thus far.

 

Be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone,

About 15 years ago, a friend told me about geocaching and I always wanted to try it. I finally did it about a week ago (better late than never) and I am loving it!!! Im fairly new to Connecticut and it’s been so much fun exploring so many new places. Also, I really enjoy being out and about and making a spontaneous stop to look for a cache in the area.  Still learning and I’ve only found 8 caches so far but having a blast! 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Lyndipity said:

I finally did it about a week ago (better late than never) and I am loving it!!!

 

Be very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone,

 

I've been in geocaching since 2012 and I still enjoy it so much. It's a life style for me. I like to travel all around the world ans I hate staying in my hotel room, so I like to take my GPS and find some news places. I was quite surprised with the places that I found such of Survived person from the Titanic grave, Cosmonaute grave's from Challenger space shuttle. I really enjoy chasing Mega event and newly GIGA in North America. My family is also in to it and it's great to spend time with them.

 

I'm leaving in Montreal's area and I'm a proud DGS!

 

Come to chat

 

Stive

Share this post


Link to post

Hello, I have been a member for a while but never got around to trying to find nor hide anything.  Recently relocated to Huatulco, Mexico.  Looking forward to looking for some treasures & possibly leaving some.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello everyone!

 

This is TeamBobina based in Italy/NY we just started less than a month and can count 30 finds already. 

We really love it and hope to learn a lot from this forum. Happy Hunting!!!

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, istinkbia said:

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

Caches aren't cared for and logs are almost always wet

at least in my area many are no longer there

wasting time on those missing is discouraging

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

GPS coordinates are seldom close, anyone ever heard of WAAS?

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

 

 

I understand your frustration...we can always add some fresh paper for the log and some desiccant, to help maintaining the caches. The idea of helping the well being of the cache is very important among geocachers. I've also found band aids, fresh wet towels ...you know? Being thoughtful for the next one visiting ;)

Also if you wanna reduce the number of DNF's chech the log and stay away from those caches with very old log entries or with many recent DNF.

GPS coordinates are often approximate because some caches are very old and the devices used back then weren't very accurate to the meter.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/14/2018 at 5:47 PM, ComicBM said:

Sean From Upstate NY, Love Geocaching With My 6 Year Old Max!

 

Be very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/23/2018 at 1:58 PM, tarasden said:

Hello, I have been a member for a while but never got around to trying to find nor hide anything.  Recently relocated to Huatulco, Mexico.  Looking forward to looking for some treasures & possibly leaving some.

 

Bienvenido!

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, TeamBobina said:

Hello everyone!

 

This is TeamBobina based in Italy/NY we just started less than a month and can count 30 finds already. 

We really love it and hope to learn a lot from this forum. Happy Hunting!!!

 

Benvenuto!

Share this post


Link to post

I live in Alaska & backpack/hike all over the state when I can. I just found out about this website, but I wish I found this existed long ago as I've been on some amazing hikes & would've hid stuff long ago. I will be hiding fun caches worth finding very soon. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 37

×