Introduce Yourself

The_Capital_Kid

Hello from California! We're a pair of cachers operating for about 1.5 months now. I remember my uncle telling me about geocaching 18-19 years ago, and now that I've taken it up I've realized he must have been one of the originals! Loving that caching connects us all in this secret hidden world - both hidden caches and hidden spots that we wouldn't otherwise notice. Thanks for the community!

Hi, My name is Czarek and I'm live in Poland,
I got interested in geocaching a few days ago. I completely missed the fact that such a thing could exist. Despite the fact that 15 years ago I finished my studies in Geography. What I like about geocaching it is a way to spending time is some kind of mystery and adventure that I am very drawn to.

I wish You a nice day, bye bye

Hello Everyone! :) My name is MsGumshoe and I’m from Connecticut. 

New to geocaching… I love being outdoors; exploring, discovering new places… Investigative nature at heart. I love a good mystery, along with a challenge, but I can get cranky if I can’t figure it out. :rolleyes: There have been times when I have seen people in the woods that looked like they were searching for something and after reading some of these threads now, I realize they were the cachers and I was the muggle :D Curious if most of you use your cell phone map for coordinates or if you have a separate GPS device .  Also happy to see that there is a list of Geocache acronyms available so I can get the lingo down.  Looking forward to new discoveries!  

Hello Everybody, 

My name is Chelsea and I'm from California. I am new to Geocaching, I just started this last summer in May. I love exploring new places, solving riddles/puzzles (though I'm not the best at it) and learning the interesting tidbits of info about the surrounding areas. I can't wait to hide a cache once I gain more experience. I currently use my cell phone to find the caches but, I've been curious about getting a separate GPS unit instead, is it worth it? Looking forward to getting started :)

Hello from Connecticut. I've known of geocaching for several years. Just started 2 weeks ago with my 7 year old niece. So nice to have an wholesome, fun activity to do with her. Her dad will enjoy it too. But, I've found, even with the little we've done, I really like it. :) Now to find little treasures to leave at the caches... And MsGumshoe, from CT - I love the name

On 1/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, katndoggs said:

Hello from Connecticut. I've known of geocaching for several years. Just started 2 weeks ago with my 7 year old niece. So nice to have an wholesome, fun activity to do with her. Her dad will enjoy it too. But, I've found, even with the little we've done, I really like it. :) Now to find little treasures to leave at the caches... And MsGumshoe, from CT - I love the name

Hello ?. Welcome. Thanks,  someone already had “Nancy Drew” :)

have fun! Just before reading your post, I literally just wrote down “Geocache trinkets“ on my shopping list. 

Hello to everyone. I’m Ailene, currently based in Dubai. I heard about geocaching a long long time ago but couldn’t really understand what it was all about. Just last week geocaching crossed my mind again and I did some research. Now I understand what it’s all about. Haven’t started yet but I’m planning soon. 

There are a lot of caches to find here but would like to start geocaching with someone who’s an expert or who knows better, just to show me the ropes. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’ll start doing it soon, even on my own. 

I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it ?

Stay safe y’all! ❤️

Hello from the beautiful Herefordshire countryside in England. I signed up on Sunday and went for my first hunt today while doing my essential exercise during our 3rd lockdown. Needless to say, I couldn’t find the cache, but did discover a hidden away gem of a church surrounded with lovely quiet footpaths. My sis-in- law told me all about geocaching, they started a few years ago while travelling the world. Looking forward to my next explore and discovery ?.

Stay safe, T x

Howdy people. I'm finally a geocacher member and I'm hooked. I've known about it for years and even played a similar game in the ADV motorcycle community called Tag O Rama where you take a foto of your bike next to landmark. The next first rider to make it there and snap a foto of THEIR bike gets to choose/shoot the next location and so on. I've already found 32 caches and I'm super stoked to get placing my own. One Eyed Willy would approve ;)

Edited by spokexx
  • Upvote 1
Just now, RuideAlmeida said:

"1960s. From French motard motorcyclist, motorcycle policeman from moto motorcycle + -ard. Word of the day. lappy. / ˈlapi /. noun. See definitions & examples."

Ah! I was hoping it would be something like that. BTW, I admire the job you consistently do welcoming people in.

In the US, among a certain segment of the population that term has a different meaning.

Hello fellow Geocachers, 

We are from the Waikato in New Zealand and we are very new to this game!! We managed to find only one out of the two we looked for... I am hoping we will get better, feel like we gave up too early on the second one. Is it normal to feel a little weird searching around with muggles around and looking at you as if you are weird... <_< 

8 hours ago, BlindBambi said:

Just joined yesterday (Leicestershire, UK) and failed mission this morning to find two "easy" caches within 1/4 mile from my home. How do I know if the caches are actually there and haven't been removed due to Covid?

Welcome aboard.

Caches aren't removed if the listing is still active. As you said, you are new. You may not have the right idea of what type container you are seeking. A micro container can be anything from the size of your fingernail up to an average pill bottle. A small can be anything from that pill bottle up to a litre-size container.

When you get to the place as determined by your device, stop looking at the pointer and look around for a place to hide something of the size in the listing.

• Helpful 1
On 2/18/2021 at 8:26 PM, SunshineAZ said:

Hi there! I've heard about geo caching for years and finally bought this cool app and decided to start with my 8 year old daughter. We spent 2 hours trying to find 2 caches today, to no avail. I can't figure out how to do this- but hopefully this website will help!

You're on a roll now! Welcome to geocaching.

Coming back after a long hiatus.  Looking to add geocaching back in to my travels as something to do with every other activity I did being on hold.  I am out of KY, and am looking to head out to Red River Gorge and collect a couple this weekend.  Just saying hi again.

Hi there ! I'm MrsCurio and I live in France but reaaaally close to Germany (I don't speak German though).

I discovered a cache randomly a few years back when I was travelling Australia and I found it super cool but I completely forgot about that somehow. Now that I'm unemployed, I was looking for a new hobby and started Geocaching :grin:

I love hiking or having big walk with my small dog and it's even more adventurous when there's a cache to find !

3 minutes ago, MrsCurio said:

Hi there ! I'm MrsCurio and I live in France but reaaaally close to Germany (I don't speak German though).

I discovered a cache randomly a few years back when I was travelling Australia and I found it super cool but I completely forgot about that somehow. Now that I'm unemployed, I was looking for a new hobby and started Geocaching :grin:

I love hiking or having big walk with my small dog and it's even more adventurous when there's a cache to find !

Welcome MrsCurio and her little dog too.

Hello everyone!

I'm Kimi from Texas, USA. I found out about geocaching in 2017 and finally started last fall for a change of scenery. We have gotten HOOOOOOOKED. Extremely into finding field puzzles & building themed field puzzle caches. So far we have built 2 in a Star Wars series (planning 4 in this "run") GC978D2 & GC94AEV. Still learning a great deal about this new hobby. Only a few months ago (before we hid our 1st cache), I was just logging "Found it!" or "TFTC!" :blink: Live, Cache, & Learn!

Decided to join forums to expedite the learning process & prevent cardinal sins of caching.  Thanks for having me! :D

Edited by AubiwanKenobi
1 hour ago, AubiwanKenobi said:

Hello everyone!

I'm Kimi from Texas, USA. I found out about geocaching in 2017 and finally started last fall for a change of scenery. We have gotten HOOOOOOOKED. Extremely into finding field puzzles & building themed field puzzle caches. So far we have built 2 in a Star Wars series (planning 4 in this "run") GC978D2 & GC94AEV. Still learning a great deal about this new hobby. Only a few months ago (before we hid our 1st cache), I was just logging "Found it!" or "TFTC!" :blink: Live, Cache, & Learn!

Decided to join forums to expedite the learning process & prevent cardinal sins of caching.  Thanks for having me! :D

Welcome Kimi. Your Star wars themed puzzles sound fun!

Since you mentioned cardinal sins....

You really should go through your gallery and remove the images that show TB codes. It's the posting of those images that allow fake discoveries. ?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Welcome Kimi. Your Star wars themed puzzles sound fun!

Since you mentioned cardinal sins....

You really should go through your gallery and remove the images that show TB codes. It's the posting of those images that allow fake discoveries. ?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=30

??‍♀️ I thought I hadn’t revealed codes, I’ll go back and fix that. Thank you!

On 4/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, CatandVinnie said:

Hi, we are Cat and Vinnie and we found our first caches this Easter Sunday :-) now have the bug and can't wait to search for more!

Welcome!

On 4/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, CatandVinnie said:

Also thinking about placing caches and reading up on the etiquette and how-to's.

Great place to start!