Introduce Yourself

The_Capital_Kid

Hi everyone, I joined back in Oct 2018, using my cellphone GPS best I could but not very accurate so I got on Geocaching to purchase a starter kit with the Gamin 35. If I seriously want to get into this stuff, I had better spend the money, and besides, you can't take it with you. So, I already do metal detecting and metal fishing(creeks and rivers with huge magnets). I like a challenge so I joined up. Did find 2 items so far but not easy. I am going to make my own cache containers from objects I'm saving up. Do you finders ever have a gathering or get together? I'm into WheresGeorge and there's some that get together once a year in Akron. Anyway, leave a note of "hello" and carry on.

We literally just started this after listening to a few in our network talk about it over the years. Havent set out on a day of just hunting but were taking one a day that are close and begining to enjoy the "bonus" fun it offers us when we are already out enjoying the outdoors. Being an Army guy I've already ordred a geocache kit that will offer up some Army themed swag as well as set in motion a trackable. It will be more camoflaged than even I was back in the day!  Eventually we will register it and get it going. Until then...cheers folks. Easy fun that gets you some quirky looks from unknowing bystanders when you are literally on top of it with the GPS but still can't see the dang thing!

Edited by jenandbrandondavis
spell correct and a line adition.

Hi everyone,

I am living in Spalding Lincolnshire UK, I did a little bit of geocaching several years ago having been introduced to it by my daughter. Now that I am retired and have just finished a course of radiotherapy for prostate cancer I want to take it up again as a form of healthy activity therapy. Just received my new GPS as I let my daughter keep my last one, so ready to get out and about starting tomorrow.

Clive

• Love 1

I have been caching occasionally since 2013, but got into the sport about two years ago. Loving every minute of it. Since I am not a painter, musician, or good at any form of art,  hiding caches is a way that I can express my puzzle-minded/artistic/engineering side. I live in Houston, Texas but started caching often when I lived in Indiana,  and now that I am back in my native Texas, I am placing caches in areas I have been going to for years. 

• Love 1
On 12/10/2018 at 8:51 AM, Clive125 said:

Hi everyone,

I am living in Spalding Lincolnshire UK, I did a little bit of geocaching several years ago having been introduced to it by my daughter. Now that I am retired and have just finished a course of radiotherapy for prostate cancer I want to take it up again as a form of healthy activity therapy. Just received my new GPS as I let my daughter keep my last one, so ready to get out and about starting tomorrow.

Clive

HI Clive, welcome! Wish you much health!

Hi! My name is Angie. I'm not exactly NEW here, but I made this account back in 2017 and basically forgot about it. I'm back though, and ready to find my first cache! Speaking of my first cache, tomorrow I will go looking for geocaches with some friends! I'm super excited!

4 hours ago, thepurplechin said:

What up?  I'm new to this whole thing and am in a semi-rural area which means I don't have a ton of cache's, but the ones I do have will hopefully be interesting.  If anyone has any tips, tricks or things I should know, hit me up!

@thepurplechin What's up you ask? Gas prices. Anyways, I got into this whole thing in...2016? It's been a while. Anyways, I kinda fell out of it a while back and forgot my old account password, so here I am! To those who were as confused about all the acronyms in the comments as I was at first, I'll give you the shortened version. FTF = First To Find. TFTC = Thanks For The Cache. BYOP = Bring Your Own Pen. DNF = Did Not Find. SL = Signed Log. TFTCSL = Thanks For The Cache Found Log. There's more, but I'm too lazy to add it all. ;)

Hello!

I'd heard of geocaching in the past, but never knew what it was.  Last evening I started to look into it, and was intrigued.  I'd used GPS in the selective availability days, primarily for house hunting, so the concept of navigating the unknown or unfamiliar wasn't new.  Yes, I use my iPhone for navigating on the street where necessary, but mostly for finding known things and checking traffic.

Anyway, this morning I signed up on geocaching.com and saw there was a cache nearby, within 500 feet or so of my home.  I grabbed what I needed and went hunting for it.  I found it rather quickly.  It was fun!  That was a 30 minute mini adventure for me!  I wonder what I'll find next.

Looking forward to meeting folks here and having more adventures!

• Upvote 1

Hi to all,

I am kind of new to geocaching however I started many years ago.  I found one cache and just didn't carry on but want to get into it now.  I work with Scouts and think it will be fun for them to get involved.  One plan is to leave a cache at every scout camp we go to.

5 hours ago, Kevintee said:

Hi to all,

I am kind of new to geocaching however I started many years ago.  I found one cache and just didn't carry on but want to get into it now.  I work with Scouts and think it will be fun for them to get involved.  One plan is to leave a cache at every scout camp we go to.

Welcome back, Kevintee.

Bear in mind that cache ownership is an ongoing commitment to maintenance, so best not to hide caches in locations that you can’t easily revisit.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

You can't place one inside the camp, but several Scout camps I've visited had caches placed outside the main gate. There is a Geocaching Merit Badge that the Scouts can earn. Grab the Handbook and help teach them. A hint from experience is to only place a cache near where your Troop meets, so the kids can maintain it regularly.

• Upvote 1

"Captain's Log, Stardate..." 

I'm Tsar Trek

I speak french and english.

I do a lot of hiking during which I do photography.

I heard about Geocache few days ago. I read on the subject...and I'm all in

Teleport me on board

"Journal de bord du capitaine, Temps stellaire..."

Je suis Tsar Trek

Je parle français et anglais

Je fais beaucoup de randonnées pendant lesquelles je fais de la photographie.

J'ai entendu parler de Géocache il y a quelques jours. J'ai lu sur le sujet et je suis "all in"

Téléportez-moi à bord!

22/5000

Heyo! I've been caching for a few months now, and I love it! I live in Peachtree City, Georgia, and lemme tell you there are a LOT of geocaches here. The local golf cart paths are chock full od geocaches and inspirtation. Me and WhoAteMyShoe are #squad, we geocache when we hang out and it is SO FUN!!! I like to geocache with my friends, and they like to geocache with me. So far I've found 26 geocaches and hope to find many more!

I bet you couldn't tell but I like cats, donuts and the color pink.

Edited by harper_finding_stuff

Hello All,

I joined back in March of 2015 and dabbled a little, but did not really become active until December of 2018.  Last December I started actively geocaching, and have 42 finds to date.  I am definitely hooked, and am out caching most weekends.  I love hiking and exploring so Geocaching dovetails nicely.  I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, so I get to enjoy this game year round.  as prior USAF I find the idea of using "multi-million dollar satellites to hunt for tupperware in the woods" somehow satisfying to my sense of irony.  :)

My name is Jakeb, and I live in Arizona.  I started this new addiction in November 2018. Currently at 300 caches(I've been busy). Glad to be apart of the community!

I have really enjoyed getting out and seeing things I didn't know were even near me, and I've lived here my whole life. Looking forward to the many cool caches and locations I will  visit.

• Upvote 1

Fairly new & socially awkward! *waves* I bought a pathtag at a state park store, and that sent me onto the geocache challenge Texas Parks & Wildlife was having, and I did 20 parks in about 6 months *whew* -- looks like a good time to get active since we've got 2 events coming up in my area, so I'm hoping to meet folks & tag along finding caches (I'm terrible at spotting micros). I'm required by Texas bylaws to actually say it, so here goes:  howdy!

1 hour ago, catlyke said:

Fairly new & socially awkward! *waves* I bought a pathtag at a state park store, and that sent me onto the geocache challenge Texas Parks & Wildlife was having, and I did 20 parks in about 6 months *whew* -- looks like a good time to get active since we've got 2 events coming up in my area, so I'm hoping to meet folks & tag along finding caches (I'm terrible at spotting micros). I'm required by Texas bylaws to actually say it, so here goes:  howdy!

Howdy back at cha.

Head toward Martin Creek Lake State Park for the weekend after Easter. On Friday (I'm hosting this one)  & Saturday will be four different events in the area (one at the Park Saturday afternoon/evening), and a few new caches published for the CITO on Saturday. I can guarantee you will have a good time. 75691 is a cache owner account to look for in that area. That account has a few cache in the park, and I have a couple there as well.

• Helpful 1

Hello fellow Geocacher's, 

My name is Trish and from Texas.

Just signed back up after some time away, I'm still new have only 22 finds, but looking forward to getting back into this.   Gave my sister one of her b-day presents to join under premium and join in the fun, going to be great hanging out with my sister, we camp quite a bit and a lot of the state parks participate in Geocaching.   Here is to finding loads of geocaches.