Introduce Yourself

The_Capital_Kid

On 4/3/2018 at 1:26 AM, wolfsoul4 said:

Hey guys this is my first day actively hunting for caches! I've been scouting ones nearby my work and home near San Diego, hit up five coordinates today and didn't find a thing :-/  guess I'll have to keep trying but excited to do so! 

Gets better with practice. Be welcome!

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

Caches aren't cared for and logs are almost always wet

at least in my area many are no longer there

wasting time on those missing is discouraging

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

GPS coordinates are seldom close, anyone ever heard of WAAS?

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

Edited by istinkbia
added
57 minutes ago, istinkbia said:

Hello, first time in the forums and beginner.....here are some observations from a newbie

this might have been fun when it was relatively new...12- 14......those of us starting now are left with crumbs

I understand its not always about the "find".....but that keeps bringing you back...for example..went out for a bit this afternoon...3 locations 3 DNF....FUN!??

I have to say, as a 6 day old geocacher myself (in Norfolk, UK) I've found the same.  However, I'm keeping optimistic for now lol.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, istinkbia said:

Welcome!

Don't worry... it gets better with practice. ;)

All too true.

So, what's to do?

In many places, this is because, like with so many activities that humans are involved in, entropy prevails.

The answer to problems like this lie in two directions:

• Seek to make others better, or
  • Seek to make it better yourself

You CANNOT make other people better directly. Can you effectively call absent CO's and encourage them to go do maintenance? No. Can you effectively prevail upon the majority of cell-phone cachers (a phrase that's rapidly losing its original meaning, BTW) to properly file "Needs Maintenance" logs, especially since they were made more difficult to file last year? No.

So, the answer lies with you. BE the change you want to see. DEDICATE yourself to bettering geocaching in your corner of the map. FIND a bunch of caches, FIGURE OUT what makes a good cache good, DECIDE what kind of caches YOU like to find, then CREATE SOME! GET a reputation in your local GC community as the newbie that learned quickly and hid great caches. ENCOURAGE greatness in others with creative, descriptive logs. SUPPORT your local cache-owners by finding EVERYTHING in your area (but not always first!) and TELL the CO's that they're appreciated! HOST an event! You don't have to know a THING about geocaching to do that!!! GET TO KNOW your peers. RECRUIT people into the hobby.

--------------------------------------

Finally, don't get caught up in the rules and guidelines. They're important and should ALWAYS be followed, but have tolerance for those that don't think so. You can only control how YOU cache.

Cache morally. Cache ethically. Cache frequently.

Hi everyone! Newbie here in NW Louisiana. My first cache went live last week. I have a Little Free Library and I added it as an addition to hopefully draw people to the library. That same day I started searching. I didn't know it would be so addicting! I even go on my lunch breaks to find the ones near my work. My son searches with me too. We're making some nice memories. I like the variety of containers I'm finding. Some people are very creative. 

Edited by Panthermom111
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, 321geocache said:

Hi everyone. I started geocaching last year, but found my first geocache this year. I have only found 4 caches, so I can't wait to have an adventure and find some more geocaches!

So get out there and have fun!

Hey Everyone,

We are Jennifer & Marcel and we live in Connecticut. We are passionate Urban Explorers/Paranormal Investigators who love to hike and just be out in nature. Geocaching is new to us both but we love it and it looks like we have a new hobby while on our hikes! It's so much fun to find these caches and to see the creative way that they are hidden! Can't wait for the next hike! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you on our journeys! Happy Geocaching!!!! :)

3 hours ago, JMEXPLORE said:

Hey Everyone,

We are Jennifer & Marcel and we live in Connecticut. We are passionate Urban Explorers/Paranormal Investigators who love to hike and just be out in nature. Geocaching is new to us both but we love it and it looks like we have a new hobby while on our hikes! It's so much fun to find these caches and to see the creative way that they are hidden! Can't wait for the next hike! Hopefully we will get to meet some of you on our journeys! Happy Geocaching!!!! :)

Well, as paranormal investigators, I fully expect some VERY creative caches to come from you guys when you've gotten to that point in your caching careers!

• Upvote 1
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, TeamRabbitRun said:

Well, as paranormal investigators, I fully expect some VERY creative caches to come from you guys when you've gotten to that point in your caching careers!

We have just started gathering all the stuff we need to hide some cool caches so look for us to be hiding some very soon!!! :)

Hi. We are a family of 4 and recently found out about geocaching whilst on holiday in Cyprus from another geocaching member, we found out on the 2nd to last night so we we're slightly gutted we didn't get more time to find, especially as we had a car for 3 days which wasn't used for 3 days. But we managed to find our first 2 before we went home. 

Now we're home we are itching to get out and find more, we have noticed lots of grey private ones in our area! 

Still lots of learning to do and lots of fun and walks to be had. 

Checking in to say hi! A new cacher here, currently based in Denmark. A friend told me about geocaching over a cup of coffee, and of course I had to check it out. You don't tell an OCD person that there are little containers hidden around the town that I've been walking past all along... Working on finding them ALL now. :D

I love animals - tortoises, cats, dogs - as well as coffee, antique shops, languages, daughter, husband, and photography. 

Hoping to look for some caches in Canada this summer.

IMG_2913.thumb.JPG.0f3f7c99766cc73efc097b666fa39fcb.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hi, I am Flavio from Italy.

I started the game about two weeks ago and I am enjoying a lot, even if I am still not so smart to find caches.

Thanks to another user who told me about this game during a table game session.

I hope to give my contribution to forum community, too.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone!  I am from Florida and hope to meet other fellow Geocachers in my area.  I am somewhat "obsessed" with hiding caches at the moment and finding the most unusual trackables to place in my caches.  I am getting a slight bit better at finding caches that I was when I started but would love a few pointers!  

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

About 15 years ago, a friend told me about geocaching and I always wanted to try it. I finally did it about a week ago (better late than never) and I am loving it!!! Im fairly new to Connecticut and it’s been so much fun exploring so many new places. Also, I really enjoy being out and about and making a spontaneous stop to look for a cache in the area.  Still learning and I’ve only found 8 caches so far but having a blast! 

Hi everyone,

I've been in geocaching since 2012 and I still enjoy it so much. It's a life style for me. I like to travel all around the world ans I hate staying in my hotel room, so I like to take my GPS and find some news places. I was quite surprised with the places that I found such of Survived person from the Titanic grave, Cosmonaute grave's from Challenger space shuttle. I really enjoy chasing Mega event and newly GIGA in North America. My family is also in to it and it's great to spend time with them.

I'm leaving in Montreal's area and I'm a proud DGS!

Come to chat

Stive

On 4/13/2018 at 10:15 PM, istinkbia said:

I understand your frustration...we can always add some fresh paper for the log and some desiccant, to help maintaining the caches. The idea of helping the well being of the cache is very important among geocachers. I've also found band aids, fresh wet towels ...you know? Being thoughtful for the next one visiting ;)

Also if you wanna reduce the number of DNF's chech the log and stay away from those caches with very old log entries or with many recent DNF.

GPS coordinates are often approximate because some caches are very old and the devices used back then weren't very accurate to the meter.