Introduce Yourself

The_Capital_Kid

Hello everyone! My name's Christina and I live in Seattle, Washington, Cascadia. I'm trying to remember how I got into geocaching, I like scavenger hunts and puzzles, love exploring urban environments and park trails, I was probably keen to keep the GPS joy going after participating in an annual "Greenwood Gumshoe" event in August. My favorite cache container so far is a birdhouse, and my favorite GZ so far is the one with a park overlooking the sound, with a view of the Olympic Mountains.

Hey Ya'll,  Just started geocaching today and had a blast.  It's me and My Crew: PenguinBen (6) and his big sis, Sereberry (7)!  Hoping this does for them what years of camping with family and friends, did when I was growing up.  Looking forward to having good, down home folks to show go values and courtesy.  We had a great start to our future caching and hope to expand on it asap!  We're in Central Texas and can't wait to meet up with others to show us the ropes and keep us outta trouble! lol  We are looking for friends as the more the merrier. 

-Aeris

Hi everyone! My name is Parker and I live in New York City however when I first started geochaching unofficially around 10 years ago I was back in the DC- Maryland area. I was introduced to the world of geocaching via a family friend and in the area I grew up there are a lot of parks and small wooded areas that had pretty large geocaches to find and were always such an adventure for a 11 year old kid to partake in. I'm not as active as I used to when I first started, but I still occasionally hunt for geocaches are the city, though usually much more microscopic than the ones I used to find.

I wanted to introduce myself to the group because I've always been fascinated and super interested by Geocaching and its community. As a small familiar member of this great community, I wanted to ask for permission to observe how you all interact via these forums for a case study for a class I am taking at New York University. The point of the case study is to observe how a particular online community interacts and analyze what you learn from the community based on their language and how they interact. I thought Geocaching would be the perfect community since I am part of it and familiar with the terminology and concepts of the world/community. Of course, nothing personal will be used in this assignment and no screen names will be published. I would love to observe this community that I am so interested in and fond of and I hope you all will allow me to do so. Thank you all for your time :)

Hello everyone!  I Yvonne, currently living in Pooler, GA  

I am new to Geocaching, well caught a glimpse when my son was a boy scout years ago, but decided to sign up as a premium member to get the full experience. Using this as a way to get out exploring more and enjoy the outdoors.  Really interested in the geo-campers portion.  Not too many friends who want to camp so decided to combine the two and enjoy the scenery as learn the art of Geocaching!!

Edited by slaughtery
Showing me as a basic member and unable not showing photo.
6 hours ago, slaughtery said:

Showing me as a basic member and unable not showing photo.  

Try logging out/back in to the site and see if that fixes it.  Online receipt somewhere?

If logging out/in doesn't work, then maybe a mail to "Contact Us" at the bottom of every forums page is in order.  :)

Hey I'm Lizzy and I'm a little bit Dizzy... me and my partner Adam use the same account to get us out of the house and explore different areas... we are currently in Darwin NT, but we'll be on the move soon head through the gold coast, flying to Budapest, to Paris, the UK, possibly Ireland and to NZ for a while so we have some exciting times ahead for geocaching.  Haven't currently hidden one though as we're moving around and unable to currently look after one.

Hello, Im not "new" to geocaching, but this is my first time posting in the forum. My wife Vickie and I started geocaching in 2015 after I saw a news topic about it. We ventured out to our first real hidden treasure and fell in love with this hobby. We started in Pennsylvania but now live in Washington state because we HAD to get closer to nature after discovering just some of what is out there, thanks to Geocaching. 

We have currently 327 finds, and made sure to log one in each state we drove thru on our move. I love ammo cans and earth caches. Vickie loves gadget caches. We subscribe to FTF magazine, its such a fun magazine for geocachers. Also we enjoy watching The Geocaching vlogger on youtube. We just joined the WSGA SW chapter and looking forward to meeting some people and going to some events in the PNW.

Hi all, I'm new to this, never looked for a cache yet, but I'd like to start in December / January when my other half wants to go for ski with the kids and I have to tag along for meal prepping etc. (I don't ski). I like logical challenges and I saw 3 caches near the ski area so I guess I'll give it a try.

I'm from Belgium, and I've got two wonderful sons who together with my other half consume all of the time that I don't work.

Hi Guys !! My name is Cathy and presently I'm sat at home, in Plymouth. Devon ENGLAND ..  it's 01.24hrs and I have Australia v England cricket on the TV competing for THE Ashes from Australia. I only joined Geocaching last month, I have found 3 x Caches so far and I'm TOTALLY hooked, and look forward to finding more and more over the months to follow.

I've yet to understand all of the little idiosyncrasies surrounding this new fascinating hobby of mine, and some of the abbreviation's can be a bit strange... but ..all I can say is    Caches !! I hope you are tremblin'', cos I'm hunting you down !! 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:33 PM, CafGriff said:

Hi Guys !! My name is Cathy and presently I'm sat at home, in Plymouth. Devon ENGLAND ..  it's 01.24hrs and I have Australia v England cricket on the TV competing for THE Ashes from Australia. I only joined Geocaching last month, I have found 3 x Caches so far and I'm TOTALLY hooked, and look forward to finding more and more over the months to follow.

I've yet to understand all of the little idiosyncrasies surrounding this new fascinating hobby of mine, and some of the abbreviation's can be a bit strange... but ..all I can say is    Caches !! I hope you are tremblin'', cos I'm hunting you down !! 

Be welcome!

Hello my name is Henk Houben, born in the Netherlands and living and working nowadays in Belgium. I got introduced in geocaching by a girl-friend of us, who introduced the geocach-virus into me. I have just started since august this year, so i am quit new in this world. Only 251 founds, but still working on it.

Hi everybody - I'm in Chiagoland area but travel regularly to Michigan. Im new to the game since this summer when my son GeoExtraordinaire and I found a few on the way to South Dakota. My Gosh they are everywhere. Now I am hooked. I love getting out with my "trackable" K-9 Detective and trying to get the 360 challenge - Check back as I post my status Im only on day 18

Hey, I've never done this before but I was out hiking in a remote area around Lake Shasta, California (the lake and not the town) near Jones Valley Resort and found an old cache. It was in a cardboard/foil tube and had obviously leaked a little bit. It was just laying on a hillside in the pines so it must have been moved from where it previously lived, probably by animals or wind. Anyway, it was kind of interesting because it was very old, by geocaching standards, I suppose, and was abandoned.  There was an old LG cell phone, a rubber rabbit and a list inside. Why the cell phone, I have no idea. The phone is probably ruined from water damage and I'm trying to find a charger that will fit it but it's pretty old and I haven't found a power cord with the right jack yet. 

The list starts in 10/2012 with the first entry. There are 18 signatures and the last one is dated 12/29/13. So it was 'discovered' and re-discovered for a little over a year by a bunch of people then lost to the geocaching community for four years until I found it today in the middle of nowhere. Considering the condition of the tube, I'm amazed that everything inside is in as good a condition as it is. 

Now this seems kinda interesting to me, but I was wondering if anybody might be interested in learning of the fate of this old cache? At the top of the list are the characters FTF- VZK (maybe V2K) and 10/31 1223. (I think, if I'm reading it correctly) I have no earthly idea what that means but maybe someone cares and maybe someone else can tell me where to find the person who cares? I dunno.  :) 

Edited by 3Blue

Hi folks,

I'm Darren, I'm trailing round hunting for "treasure" with my seven year old son, and occasionally with a toddler as well. It's super "Dad and lad" time and the boy's getting well into it. We've found 16 so far, we know what we like, and we're thinking about doing some hiding soon. 

1 hour ago, DeeGee26 said:

Hi folks,

I'm Darren, I'm trailing round hunting for "treasure" with my seven year old son, and occasionally with a toddler as well. It's super "Dad and lad" time and the boy's getting well into it. We've found 16 so far, we know what we like, and we're thinking about doing some hiding soon. 

Be welcome, Dad... and lads. :)

Hi. I've heard about geocaching for years, but never really got a chance to try it. Well, I did last year, but my social anxiety actually scared me off. I downloaded the app and went searching for a cache located in the field behind my work while I was on break. After about 5 minutes I gave up because I was paranoid people would be driving by and think "Ha, look at that loser who can't find an easy cache in the middle of an empty field!"

Earlier this year I reinstalled the app and tried again and actually found that cache this time. Since then I've been learning as I go and it's actually helped my anxiety. My parents both retired this year so my dad and I have gone on a couple geocaching trips. We're planning a 3 day trip up through Canada next year and I've got cabin fever waiting for it. Every day I do a search along part of our likely route and add a couple interesting looking caches to a list. Can't wait for spring!

Hello Geocachers! 

My brother passed away several years ago and I've been struggling with what to do with his inherited HotWheels collection. It's massive. I thought it would be fun to set some in a geocache for kiddos (of all ages) to find/keep. I'd just keep filling the cache as the HotWheels get picked up. That would really honor his memory and allow for others to enjoy the cars he loved collecting. 

Since I've never geocached, I do not know if this would be an appropriate/welcome thing for me to do in the caching community... any feedback/advice on this idea or any tips on how I should get started?

I'm thinking of ordering the clear ammo cache as it looks like it would hold at least 5 cars at a time. 

• Upvote 1

Hi PsychoRacing.

I think it's a wonderful idea!  You may want to note, on the cache page and in the cache container, that those are gifts, not necessarily trade items.  Because the custom is to take-something-leave-something, and many cachers don't carry any trade items at all, people may not pick up the cars because they have nothing to trade.

You could also sprinkle them into other caches you visit, one at a time.  "Up-swagging" of caches is always appreciated.

• Upvote 1
On 12/29/2017 at 8:39 AM, PsychoRacing said:

Hello Geocachers! 

My brother passed away several years ago and I've been struggling with what to do with his inherited HotWheels collection. It's massive. I thought it would be fun to set some in a geocache for kiddos (of all ages) to find/keep. I'd just keep filling the cache as the HotWheels get picked up. That would really honor his memory and allow for others to enjoy the cars he loved collecting. 

Since I've never geocached, I do not know if this would be an appropriate/welcome thing for me to do in the caching community... any feedback/advice on this idea or any tips on how I should get started?

I'm thinking of ordering the clear ammo cache as it looks like it would hold at least 5 cars at a time. 

When my son was young enough to enjoy hot wheels I used to trade for them whenever I found one in a cache and collected quite a few of them.  He played with them a lot on those orange tracks.   Placing hot wheels cars in geocaches for other kids to enjoy sounds like a wonderful way to honor your brother.   You might also consider buying a couple of trackable item tags (https://www.geocaching.com/track/) to attach to a couple of the cars so that they move from geocache to geocache.  Be aware, however, that trackable items often go missing but it might be fun to launch one with a goal to visit some place your brother wanted to go.

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to this, but have got myself a handheld gps and convinced my wife to help by being my 'technical support' at home (she suffers from ME). My eventual aim is to make it a sort of 'Challenge Anneka' (showing my age!) sort of thing, with her following along via streaming camera!

But first, I've got to work out how to put the caches onto my device!

Hi all,

Haven't geocached since 2008. We were pretty heavily into it for a couple of years and have gotten the bug again. Hope to start caching again in the next couple of weeks (when I can find time not working, disc golfing, reading, etc.) Our old GPS (Garmin) died sometime in the past decade lol, so we are looking for a new one around $100 or so. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks; we are really looking forward to caching again. Hope to see you out there!

Edit: Having looked at some GPS models, I think $100 bucks might be optimistic (I think that's what we paid for our old one but again a long time ago), so any recommendations for around $200 would be great. Thanks!

Edited by 2WalkAs1
45 minutes ago, 2WalkAs1 said:

Having looked at some GPS models, I think $100 bucks might be optimistic (I think that's what we paid for our old one but again a long time ago), so any recommendations for around $200 would be great. Thanks!

You may also consider using simply a smartphone (if you already have one). There are many available apps apart from the free official. You should also consider a Premium Membership... if you always have been Basic Member, you can enjoy a free month voucher, to try all the benefits.