Event Stacking Rules?

Thank you for the clarification. The Rules are a bit vague on distance.

As a side comment, although the other event is 15 miles away, it would be almost an hour away due to the roadways and congestion in nj.

However I will abide by the guideline.

I understand the intent of Event Stacking, but a simple criteria of pure distance between two events shouldn't be the only factor. Newark NJ and Brooklyn NY are only 10 miles apart as "the crow flies" but would take an hour to travel between.

If you can make a case that another event in the region is not aimed at the same crowd, work with your local reviewer. Last year in my area, there were two events for Leap Day at the same time on opposite sides of the city. They were only 15 miles apart, but with rush hour and differences with times people got out of work, they weren't considered event stacking. Both events had about 50 people each with only a handful of people racing to do both.

However, if you can envision people being able to causally travel between events, and most of the crowd from one event shows up to the other event, yeah, you won't have much luck getting the event approved.

• Upvote 1

Ten miles from Newark to Brooklyn is an eternity; ten miles from one Interstate exit to another in central Kansas is 8 minutes of driving. And that is why the listing guidelines on event stacking are "a bit vague on distance."

If you feel you have a good case based on travel time, point that out to your reviewer. Maybe screenshot a driving route map from one event to the other. Is it logistically impossible to attend both events without a helicopter?

On "Souvenir Days" like the upcoming Donerstag events, it's quite common for a metropolitan area to have several events. Here in the Pittsburgh area, there are four Donerstag events that I published. One is near downtown and the others are well to the north, well to the west and well to the south. Driving in Pittsburgh is not easy during a weekday rush hour.

Edited by Keystone

Our Reviewer must have forgotten about Event stacking.

I had a CITO Event approved and then a few days later another CITO was approved 5 miles down the beach. People had to drive by that one to get to mine.

CITO events may have a different criteria for stacking given that the purpose of a CITO is different than a regular event. It's less likely that participants will hop from one CITO to the other just for stats counts. After all, we should be discouraging people from attending a CITO without staying to do the work.

• Upvote 1

My problem with event stacking is that the criteria are not published. And that results in unclarity about what is supposed stacking and what not. So far I've been bitten in the back a couple of times by these rules when a lot of organisational work for the event had already been done. I also have this idea that the stacking rules are now enforced on smaller events too, while I understand that they were meant to be used against cachers all starting their own little event around gigas and megas. I also understand that reviewers can make up their own national stacking rules as far as distance and timing go. But since nothing is published on these rules, they remain extremely unclear for cachers. It would be good if GC started either publishing the exact rules, including what can and cannot be decided by reviewers on a national level, or completely abolish these rules (which I would prefer).

Edited by NLBokkie
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

In Norway we've had a 5/5/5 rule, that is noe event 5 hours before or after or closer than 50km to an eksisting one.

But this week it seems that Groundspeak and the reviewers have tossed that rule out the door, after they approved an event 5km from an existing one...

The first event was published on June 3, and the last one on August 9. But the biggest problem is that the second event has the EXACT same start and end time as the "original" one...

But Apeals don't view it as stacking anyway....

5 hours ago, cghove said:

In Norway we've had a 5/5/5 rule, that is noe event 5 hours before or after or closer than 50km to an eksisting one.

A hard-and-fast 50km rule would be a bit tricky here. From where I am on the NSW Central Coast, the Sydney CBD is less than 50km away as the crow flies, but there's a river in between and a couple of hours driving to go all the way around via the closest bridge so I doubt there'd be any overlapping attendees. On the other hand, coming 50km down from the north to an event here would be a fairly quick drive along the motorway.

• Upvote 1