audit logs not working correctly

Jbird and Zip

A friend said they looked at a premium cache I recently published, but he didn't appear on the audit log. He's using an iPhone.

Another person who logged the cache wasn't on the audit log, either (dunno what app he's using).

I read elsewhere that the iPhone app bypasses the audit log. Is that true?

Could there be any other explanation for people not appearing on the audit log?

Yes. Here's one: I am a GSAK user. When browsing through caches that I might be interested in finding, I do that in GSAK. By reading the cache description in GSAK, my name won't appear in the audit log on a PMO cache.

I also use Field Notes for the logs on the caches I actually find or DNF. I can edit and submit a Draft Log without visiting the cache page, by opening the log from my Drafts page (formerly Field Notes page).

So, with my workflow, I can log a smiley on someone's PMO cache without ever having visited their cache listing. I'm a ghost!

• Helpful 1

Besides app use (either iOS or Android) and GSAK, as noted above - if a cache is downloaded as part of a Pocket Query, then the cacher can view the cache in a program (ie, Basecamp) or on their GPSr without showing up in the audit log.

They can then log a field note (Draft) via their GPSr, or even by just creating a txt file, and submit their log via the website without visiting the cache page. In such cases, they would not show up in the audit log.

Yes. Here's one: I am a GSAK user. When browsing through caches that I might be interested in finding, I do that in GSAK. By reading the cache description in GSAK, my name won't appear in the audit log on a PMO cache.

LOL -- All of the people I know (except one brainy woman we all admire) aren't bright enough to use GSAK, so they must all be stuck with iPhones...

A friend said they looked at a premium cache I recently published, but he didn't appear on the audit log. He's using an iPhone.

Another person who logged the cache wasn't on the audit log, either (dunno what app he's using).

I read elsewhere that the iPhone app bypasses the audit log. Is that true?

A couple years ago, when I wanted to view a cache that was pmo (though I don't do them) and wanted to bypass the audit, I simply used my (at that time) Windows phone, and never showed on anyone's audit.

- If I ever did, I woulda heard about it. :)

At that time, I'd also use the other 2/3rds iPhone with the same results.

Haven't wanted to look at one since, so can't tell you if that's still true.

IIRC, bookmarks also bypass the audit.