Changes to logging, specifically stopping double logs

Regarding the original post in Announcements, citation:

...in early to mid-April, we will begin enforcing changes to the logging rules through the user interface on Geocaching.com...

As English is not my mother tongue - what does "early to mid-April" actually stand for?

Some time in the first two weeks of April I imagine.

Well...it's not in effect YET. I just test logged a new find on a cache I found already (and later adopted, so it's now mine)...so it still let me log a second find on my own cache.

(of course, I deleted the log)

Regarding the original post in Announcements, citation:

...in early to mid-April, we will begin enforcing changes to the logging rules through the user interface on Geocaching.com...

As English is not my mother tongue - what does "early to mid-April" actually stand for?

Some time in the first two weeks of April I imagine.

Well...it's not in effect YET. I just test logged a new find on a cache I found already (and later adopted, so it's now mine)...so it still let me log a second find on my own cache.

(of course, I deleted the log)

I did wonder if the English is not my mother tongue was actually a ploy and a veiled reference to the fact that what we were told was going to happen doesn't appear to have happened yet :)

I did wonder if the English is not my mother tongue was actually a ploy and a veiled reference to the fact that what we were told was going to happen doesn't appear to have happened yet :)

Hmm... well... :rolleyes: But I really was not sure about how to understand this phrase.

I'm just they used a general time frame so they wouldn't have to commit to a date. "Mid-April" could potentially mean any day that's not the first or last day of April.

That might be. And the "early to"? ;)

I'm just they used a general time frame so they wouldn't have to commit to a date. "Mid-April" could potentially mean any day that's not the first or last day of April.

That might be. And the "early to"? ;)

... includes April 1st ;) . So, to continue along the line of J Grouchy, "early to Mid-April" can be anything from the 1st to the 29th of April :rolleyes:

It looks like the other changes are in place preventing you from logging a second find/attended on a cache/event. There are several megas I've seen where cachers will log months in advance that they attended already even though the event is still months down the road. One current example is the upcoming West Bend Cache Bash, someone will be disappointed to find out the hard way they won't be able to log the event the day of.

-The Happy Hodag!

It looks like the other changes are in place preventing you from logging a second find/attended on a cache/event. There are several megas I've seen where cachers will log months in advance that they attended already even though the event is still months down the road. One current example is the upcoming West Bend Cache Bash, someone will be disappointed to find out the hard way they won't be able to log the event the day of.

-The Happy Hodag!

Kinda strange, but on a log I already found, DNF is still an option. I guess with the 'needs maintenance' option being a different drop-down option, it's still an option to have already found it, then if you are back in the area you can mark it DNF with a "may be missing" flag. I guess that makes sense.

This change in how the logging screen looks will take some getting used to. I think I'll be using GSAK more to log my caches.

-The Happy Hodag!

I never could figure out GSAK. It is the least user-friendly interface I've seen in a long time.

Honestly, the only thing I use it for is logging caches. I could never figure out how to do much else even with help from others. Thankfully they have a notification if you're about to log a "Found It" a second time.

-The Happy Hodag!

This change in how the logging screen looks will take some getting used to. I think I'll be using GSAK more to log my caches.

I never could figure out GSAK. It is the least user-friendly interface I've seen in a long time.

Honestly, the only thing I use it for is logging caches. I could never figure out how to do much else even with help from others. Thankfully they have a notification if you're about to log a "Found It" a second time.

I use GSAK for about 10 years now, I only use the gc website when working on mysteries (and links to checkers) and for the occasional check on caches we did when I want to know if others logged on the same day or if there are issues with trackables. With all the "improvements" on the gc website working offline with GSAK is a lot easier. It did take some time to get the hang of it but I would be lost without it.

I use GSAK for about 10 years now, I only use the gc website when working on mysteries (and links to checkers) and for the occasional check on caches we did when I want to know if others logged on the same day or if there are issues with trackables. With all the "improvements" on the gc website working offline with GSAK is a lot easier. It did take some time to get the hang of it but I would be lost without it.

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum there. I've kept using the website for things like updating coords, creating routes, etc, and have a good handle on how to do things without GSAK.

-The Happy Hodag!

This seems a likely place to ask my burning question. Please do redirect me to the proper forum if I'm mistaken in posting it here.

I am featuring different branches of a library in a series of caches. One of the branches is a book-mobile. From what I've read on other recent forums about No Multiple Logging when that came out, I imagined, then, that a travel bug would be the way to go with the book-mobile. OR a specific stop that the book-mobile makes regularly.

Would you imagine a different solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This seems a likely place to ask my burning question. Please do redirect me to the proper forum if I'm mistaken in posting it here.

I am featuring different branches of a library in a series of caches. One of the branches is a book-mobile. From what I've read on other recent forums about No Multiple Logging when that came out, I imagined, then, that a travel bug would be the way to go with the book-mobile. OR a specific stop that the book-mobile makes regularly.

Would you imagine a different solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Even without the multiple logging restriction, this wouldn't have flown. You'd, what, change the coordinates whenever it moved? A cache needs stable coordinates - no moving caches anymore. And even if it could be moving, it would often run afoul of the 0.1 mile / 161 m proximity restriction. :)

A travel bug - I'm not sure how that would work. Would you ask to put a TB decal on the bookmobile?

Hiding a cache at a specific stop makes the most sense to me. Or maybe at the bookmobile depot?

Thank you for your response and insight. Yes, I was imagining a decal - either magnetic or static cling. But to create a cache page, I see your point: Creating one at a stop would make sense. (The depot is at another branch of the library.)

Thanks again, TriciaG

Thank you for your response and insight. Yes, I was imagining a decal - either magnetic or static cling. But to create a cache page, I see your point: Creating one at a stop would make sense. (The depot is at another branch of the library.)

Thanks again, TriciaG

So do you think it would it fly if the cache were on the book-mobile *at that particular stop*? (We're talking about a very rural area, thus the book-mobile.)

Thanks again, TriciaG

So do you think it would it fly if the cache were on the book-mobile *at that particular stop*? (We're talking about a very rural area, thus the book-mobile.)

This might be doable as a mystery/unknown cache, with the listed coordinates at the library itself and a link to the bookmobile's schedule so folks knew when and where to find it. Maybe with additional waypoints showing the different stops.

That said, traveling caches are normally not approved these days, so you'd best check with your local reviewer first before you put too much effort into it. You might be better off having a book cache at the library and just putting a travel bug on the bookmobile.

Or, just put out traditional hides at the bookmobile stops, that are always available but have the bookmobile schedule on the cache page so folks know when they can both cache and browse books.

Thank you for both of those great suggestions!

I have a plan. :D