Metric / Imperial Distance Unit Settings

Still only good for people in Liberia, Myanmar, and the USA. What about the rest of the planet that uses the metric system?

Help Center: 1.4. Change distance units (miles/kilometers)

In the Geocaching® app, distance units depended on your phone’s default settings. Follow these steps to change the settings for distance units...

Could you please consider making this a setting in the app?

I don't want to change the language of my phone, just to get this app to use the units that I know...

Still only good for people in Liberia, Myanmar, and the USA. What about the rest of the planet that uses the metric system?

In the Geocaching® app, distance units depended on your phone’s default settings. Follow these steps to change the settings for distance units...

I don't want to change the language of my phone, just to get this app to use the units that I know...

+1

Makes sense, shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Fortunately, the Android at least lets you pick more than one English, and the English speak...English. And use metric. Win-win. (Other possibilities include Australia, or New Zealand, or Ireland, or South Africa. Sorry, Canada, you've gotta pick either dear old mother England or us.)

I have to ask. You were presented an easy solution, and you still have an issue with it. Did you open the settings on your phone to see what they were before complaining, or did you just decide this was Groundspeak's problem to fix for you, no matter what?

(And thomfre, aren't you Norwegian?)

Edited by hzoi

Fortunately, the Android at least lets you pick more than one English, and the English speak...English. And use metric. Win-win. (Other possibilities include Australia, or New Zealand, or Ireland, or South Africa. Sorry, Canada, you've gotta pick either dear old mother England or us.)

I have to ask. You were presented an easy solution, and you still have an issue with it. Did you open the settings on your phone to see what they were before complaining, or did you just decide this was Groundspeak's problem to fix for you, no matter what?

(And thomfre, aren't you Norwegian?)

I know exactly what my options are. But why should Groundspeak force me to use other settings than I want to use?

So my issue is that Groundspeak is forcing me to change the settings of my phone, which I do not want to do. I have a lot of other GPS-enabled apps, and they all allow me to tell them I want to use metric units. The old app also did that...

Yes, I'm Norwegian. What does that have to do with this? :)

Just that you apparently have your phone set to American English, even though you are neither. It just struck me as droll. No harm intended.

(edit: for what it's worth, I have my GPSr set to Australian, but that's because I love hearing a robotic Aussie mangle place names when I am driving.)

Edited by hzoi

I know exactly what my options are. But why should Groundspeak force me to use other settings than I want to use?

Maybe I don't know enough about it, but it sounds like GS is making sure not to override the decision you've expressed globally. But feel free to set me straight: are you saying you want geocaching to use one unit of measure while everything else on the phone uses another?

Just that you apparently have your phone set to American English, even though you are neither. It just struck me as droll. No harm intended.

(edit: for what it's worth, I have my GPSr set to Australian, but that's because I love hearing a robotic Aussie mangle place names when I am driving.)

I like it that way :) Firstly, it's a nice way to improve my English skills. Secondly, technical stuff is way better in English than it is in Norwegian. I have the same settings on my PC, my Garmin Nüvi, my Garmin Montana and most other devices I have. And I have to admit, I also love hearing the mangled place names and Norwegian road names :laughing:

But I don't think I should have to justify to Groundspeak why I want to have my phone set to English (US) :)

Maybe I don't know enough about it, but it sounds like GS is making sure not to override the decision you've expressed globally. But feel free to set me straight: are you saying you want geocaching to use one unit of measure while everything else on the phone uses another?

Every other app on my phone displays units in metric/celcius. This app is the only one that doesn't. As said earlier, the old app gave me the unit I wanted...

The only setting I've done globally is "Language", and I prefer US over UK. Nowhere have I told my phone that I want every app to use imperial units.

I have my computers and software set to English US too. All run on UTC. I don't run local time nor Belgian (Dutch) on any device. I expect to be able to choose Km/Miles °C/°F/°K to be set in software not OS.

I have my computers and software set to English US too. All run on UTC. I don't run local time nor Belgian (Dutch) on any device. I expect to be able to choose Km/Miles °C/°F/°K to be set in software not OS.

I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I TAKE IT BACK PLEASE DON'T HURT ME

:anibad:

Every other app on my phone displays units in metric/celcius. This app is the only one that doesn't.

Interesting. Is that because all the other apps ignore the global settings?

Anyway, I'm not arguing with your complaint, I'm just confused about why using a global setting turns out to be wrong in this case. My experience with computer programs is normally the opposite: the application ignores the global setting and provides its own defaults which are wrong. So I'm trying to figure out why the geocaching app is getting the wrong results while seemingly doing the right thing. I'm sure it would be obvious if I knew anything about apps.

Interesting. Is that because all the other apps ignore the global settings?

Anyway, I'm not arguing with your complaint, I'm just confused about why using a global setting turns out to be wrong in this case. My experience with computer programs is normally the opposite: the application ignores the global setting and provides its own defaults which are wrong. So I'm trying to figure out why the geocaching app is getting the wrong results while seemingly doing the right thing. I'm sure it would be obvious if I knew anything about apps.

The only setting I've done globally is "Language", and I prefer US over UK. Nowhere have I told my phone that I want every app to use imperial units.

There is no such thing as a global setting for units in Android. The other apps I have (including the old Geocaching app) have settings, which allows me to select metric (if not selected as default, which it often is). Google's own apps (I guess we can say that they know how Android work...) also give me metric units.

There is no such thing as a global setting for units in Android. The other apps I have (including the old Geocaching app) have settings, which allows me to select metric (if not selected as default, which it often is). Google's own apps (I guess we can say that they know how Android work...) also give me metric units.

Ah, I see. Thanks for being patient. I thought the help center was saying they're using a setting that actually implied the unit, but now that you've explained I've reread it and realize they're actually abusing the language setting and guessing at what the units should be based on that.

Ah, I see. Thanks for being patient. I thought the help center was saying they're using a setting that actually implied the unit, but now that you've explained I've reread it and realize they're actually abusing the language setting and guessing at what the units should be based on that.

I understand the reason Groundspeak do what they do, and I don't think they should stop looking at the language setting. They should just give us the option to change it ourselves. For most people, the "calculated default" would then be correct, and the rest of us could change it.

Looks like v5.3 will allow choice of units regardless of your phone's language setting. Proof that the lackeys read these boards, even if they don't always post in individual threads.

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - May 17, 2017

...a new Settings screen is now available to set your preferred distance units

Edited by hzoi