Online Travel Bug Cemetery

Darick

For some time I have considered adding a travel bug cemetery to my geocaching website, http://www.geogz.com

My thought is that so many trackables go missing, it might be a nice way for others to see some of your favorite trackable pages that are unlikely to ever be visited again. Similar to this obituary forum post in a way...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=64708

But I want it to be very visual, like gravestones with a link to the trackable page on them. A way to get some additional value out of that well thought out travel bug tag you paid for and attached a nice travel item to, only to have it disappear after a month. Perhaps in a cemetery where the trackable could still be visited, it would live on in some way.

Just kind of a thought for something I might do on a rainy day... I would be curious to know if anyone would have interest in adding their dead trackables to an online cemetery like this? Happy caching all :)

No thanks.

The few trackables we've lost (and learned to not do more...) were ours, with our own reasons for sending them out.

We don't see any "additional value" in this plan, which seems (to us) to be only an attempt to further someone else's goals/agenda in some odd way.

If you've really "considered adding a travel bug cemetery to my geocaching website" fine, but count us out.

We see "The Official Travel Bug Obituary" in these forums to be just fine, thanks. :)

My thought is that so many trackables go missing, it might be a nice way for others to see some of your favorite trackable pages that are unlikely to ever be visited again.

If you want to create that then you should do it for your own satisfaction, and I'm sure some other people would participate.

By contrast, today I picked up a travel bug that was missing from June 2004 to October 2016, and since its return to the game it has safely hopped across the Atlantic Ocean from the US to the UK. Happy endings do occasionally occur. :)

Which reminds me, today I found a TB in Tennessee that has been missing a few years and the owner has released a proxie somewhere in Texas. :P

I was unlucky enough to have just retrieved a proxy TB when the original reappeared after being missing for three years. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me, today I found a TB in Tennessee that has been missing a few years and the owner has released a proxie somewhere in Texas. :P

I was unlucky enough to have just retrieved a proxy TB when the original reappeared after being missing for three years. :rolleyes:

The one I found today belongs to a fellow Waymarker. :) I'll just tie it to a feral cat or toss it in the river. :anibad:

No, actually most Waymarkers like to take pictures. I'll upload photo proof that I'm holding it hostage. :laughing:

I think I lost 12 of 13 Trackables and 3 Proxies I tossed out into the wild. :(

Edit. Now after reading past logs, the TB was just sitting in this cache in Tennessee and the owner grabbed it back to make a copy to release. Why? I have no idea. :unsure:

Edited by Manville Possum