My friend has been stealing

beno988

No advice on what to say.

You could let Groundspeak know what's going on, along with his user name, and they might disable his account... but he could always sign up for another one.

If you know what caches they are, you could let the cache owners know that their cache has been stolen (by private message or with a note on the cache page), but that might blow up in your face.

:(

Aww hate to hear that! Maybe he will get tired of it and move on to something else. As touchy a subject as this is, that is why I believe it's ok to be careful who you tell geocaching about. While it can be a fun activity for many, there are some people who just don't need to know whats out there. Is there another sport or fun thing you can invite him to do with you? (Might bring the focus off of stealing caches). If I were in your position I would just try to be a good friend to him and lead by example or if he is really being destructive then get the parents involved.

So I'm a high schooler and i told a friend about geocaching but unfortunately he took it the wrong way and has began stealing geocaches around Santa Cruz I've tried to talk him out of it but he won't stop, any advice on what to say?

I know this isn't what you asked, but in the long run, you need to realize he probably isn't your friend.

No advice on what to say.

You could let Groundspeak know what's going on, along with his user name, and they might disable his account... but he could always sign up for another one.

If you know what caches they are, you could let the cache owners know that their cache has been stolen (by private message or with a note on the cache page), but that might blow up in your face.

:(

Another thing I probably should of said is he said not to tell anyone, I brought it up here because you don't know him, but if I told Groundspeak and they disabled his account he would know I told them because I'm the only one he told about geocaching that follows the rules. (Yes he told someone else who also stole a cache with him)

I guess if you already "tried to talk him out of it but he won't stop", there's really not much more you can do if you don't want to go the contact Groundspeak route.

Though if a CO of any missing cache near you is reading this now, you may well get an email... :D

I kinda agree with AustinMN that this person probably isn't a "friend".

Hopefully he tires of his new hobby and finds another "game" to play. :)

- Certainly would be better than the possibility of meeting up with one not as nice as you about it.

So I'm a high schooler and i told a friend about geocaching but unfortunately he took it the wrong way and has began stealing geocaches around Santa Cruz I've tried to talk him out of it but he won't stop, any advice on what to say?

If your friend was stealing food or small items from stores, what would you do?

Just stand there with your thumb up your...nose?

Ignore the jerk. Stop being his friend. If you know which caches he's stolen, then send messages by email or the message center to the cache owners.

Hopefully he will find some other delinquent behaviour to indulge in and someone else can deal with him.

B.

I'm intrigued by this. What does he do with the caches after he steals them? I have a hard time understanding why someone would steal caches. I mean, I can understand people stealing valuable items, but caches? Why?

If your "friend" doesn't already understand, then maybe you could explain to him how much time and effort cache owners have invested to hide those caches AND how much frustration cache finders encounter when they look for a cache that is missing because he has stolen it. If your friend has any type of conscience, then hopefully the guilt will eventually get them to stop.

Are you able to retrieve the caches after your friend has stolen them? If so, then it would be great if you could replace them to where they belong.

If your "friend" doesn't already understand, then maybe you could explain to him how much time and effort cache owners have invested to hide those caches AND how much frustration cache finders encounter when they look for a cache that is missing because he has stolen it. If your friend has any type of conscience, then hopefully the guilt will eventually get them to stop.

My guess is that this is exactly the motivation for stealing caches in this case and would only encourage him. I would say the opposite, that it happens all the time and doesn't matter at all.

I once explained geocaching to an adult who asked me about it, and his first question after my explanation was "What would happen if I took a dump in the cache?". I was baffled how this could be the first thing that comes to mind and said that the next finder would see this and write about it in his log. Then the cache gets disabled or archived, that's it. Nobody else will be annoyed or admire his defecation skills.

My guess is that this is exactly the motivation for stealing caches in this case and would only encourage him. I would say the opposite, that it happens all the time and doesn't matter at all.

I once explained geocaching to an adult who asked me about it, and his first question after my explanation was "What would happen if I took a dump in the cache?". I was baffled how this could be the first thing that comes to mind...

Unfortunately, this type of behavior is hard to fix. There are those who just derive pleasure in spoiling the game for everyone else. It's just like a bully who kicks down a little kid's sand castle or smashes someone's beautifully carved pumpkin. They're usually quite satisfied with themselves for having robbed dozens or perhaps hundreds of other people from enjoying looking at it as they walk by.

Please consider reaching out to some local, established geocachers. Many places have informal groups or clubs. This information will help them protect their caches.

There has been at least one instance of someone facing criminal charges over this. Your friend is stealing other people's property.

Actually I read this on what they can't do so maybe I shouldn't contact them?

Stolen geocaches or trackables: If you suspect that someone has taken your geocache, please contact your local law enforcement. We do not have the resources or authority to intervene in these cases

Edited by beno988

I'm surprised no one said this yet, but report him to the authorities. Stealling is stealing. CO's or Groundspeak can't deal with the person if they don't know who he is, you do and can ID him to the proper authorities.

To the "authorities" geocaches are essentially the same thing as junk since they have no value and to them don't really belong to anyone

I'm surprised no one said this yet, but report him to the authorities. Stealling is stealing. CO's or Groundspeak can't deal with the person if they don't know who he is, you do and can ID him to the proper authorities.

To the "authorities" geocaches are essentially the same thing as junk since they have no value and to them don't really belong to anyone

False. They have owners. Notify affected people in your caching community and identify the thief to them.

Before giving any more advice to Beno988, think about being a teenager. I was one back in the 1970's, and if I had done some of the things that have been suggested here, I would have fewer teeth in my mouth today.

Most of the time, words here have few consequences. But this time, please think before posting.

To Beno988, just move on. You are his real target. If he can't get you to steal caches, he thinks he can get you angry. Just move on.

I also measaged sequel1930 who has a lot of geocaches in my area to be on the lookout and to check a few of his geocaches.

Ahh That is even worse. Sequel1930 has passed away and can't replace his caches. He for sure would have if he was still alive as he was a great CO. His son looks after them but lives in Texas. They might get archived because of this and that is sad for many reasons. One being I want to find as many of his as I can but I live about 2 hours away and only work there once in a while.

I was once a couple of years ago talking with a girl I knew in high school. We were thinking of dating. I was telling her about caching. She couldn't understand that once you found it you left it there. She said several times that if she found it she would keep it. Needless to say I never took her caching or anywhere after that.

I have to agree with others that this guy doesn't sound like a good friend. You showed him something you like and then he is going to go and do this and then even worse bring it to school and tease you with it. I am guessing you have already figured this out. Best thing to do is just ignore it and he will hopefully get bored with it.

It is great to see you like this game and care about the caches. Great to have you playing and showing a good example!!!

Be realistic.

Yes, some jurisdiction, somewhere once prosecuted someone for stealing a geocache.

In reality, the vast majority of law enforcement is going to look you up and down and then tell you they don't have time to deal with the taking of a pill bottle that someone left on the side of the road.

To the OP, all you need to do is just ignore the offender, show no more interest in what he is doing and he will move onto something else.

Before giving any more advice to Beno988, think about being a teenager. I was one back in the 1970's, and if I had done some of the things that have been suggested here, I would have fewer teeth in my mouth today.

Most of the time, words here have few consequences. But this time, please think before posting.

To Beno988, just move on. You are his real target. If he can't get you to steal caches, he thinks he can get you angry. Just move on.

Exactly my thoughts.

Good advise. I would hope there isn't a geocacher out there who would want you to suffer any sort of retaliation over a piece of plastic.

Good advise. I would hope there isn't a geocacher out there who would want you to suffer any sort of retaliation over a piece of plastic.

+1

1. Tell his parents so they know about their kid's bad behavior and why it's wrong.

2. Report him to the police. Some police understand geocaching and will give him a stern talking to.

3. Make sure the local caching community knows what is going on.

4. Stop being friends with him. He's an a****** and you don't need people like that in your life.

5. If none of the above work (and you said you have already explained why he shouldn't steal them) then beat the piss out of him, or find someone else who will beat the piss out of him for you. If you can't appeal to his empathy or human decency then appeal to his desire not to experience a world of pain.

5. If none of the above work (and you said you have already explained why he shouldn't steal them) then beat the piss out of him, or find someone else who will beat the piss out of him for you. If you can't appeal to his empathy or human decency then appeal to his desire not to experience a world of pain.

I am going to assume this is not serious advice, since there a no reason to end up with a juvenile record over a plastic container..

So I go back to what is probably the best post:

Yes, I hope by now he is no longer a friend. Contact local cachers (WarNinjas's offer to see if his daughter has any ideas was very generous). But in the end, don't let him get you angry and just move on. It worked for me, in another context, way too many years ago in high school.

Edited by geodarts

I feel for you, dude. I'm a local and he's probably stolen caches I've placed. I'll find out soon enough.

The problem is your "friend" is a sociopath and that's a mental illness nobody on here, at Groundspeak or in the local caching circle can handle easily. That's a job for mental health professionals. Stealing caches today, stealing something else or turning to vandalism next up.

I know it's not a popular thing to do, but you might suggest he seek professional help before he gets worse.

If you have a local geocaching facebook page, you might tell them about it there and suggest they make their caches premium for a while until this person gets bored when he can't find any more caches. It doesn't sound like he'd pay $30 just to piss you off.

Oh, and it's pretty clear this guy isn't your friend and probably never was. No friend ruins something his friend cares about. This will blow over faster if you ditch him and ignore any future taunts.

I have no words.

I'm a teacher at a high school and if your high school has a police resource office you might think about telling him. While they probably can't do anything to him it might stop him from stealing more if they spoke with him. If you don't feel comfortable talking with the campus police, you might tell a teacher you trust and have them talk with the resource officer. I feel bad for you as peer pressure can be pretty tough in high school and sometimes speaking out can be difficult.

I am going to assume this is not serious advice, since there a no reason to end up with a juvenile record over a plastic container.

It has nothing to with what is being stolen and everything to do with the act of malicious stealing. It doesn't matter if he's stealing geocaches or cars. He believes it's okay to steal anything for the lolz. As another poster noted this kid needs to be investigated as a possible sociopath, although he may just be a run-of-the-mill a******.

I'm a teacher at a high school and if your high school has a police resource office you might think about telling him. While they probably can't do anything to him it might stop him from stealing more if they spoke with him. If you don't feel comfortable talking with the campus police, you might tell a teacher you trust and have them talk with the resource officer. I feel bad for you as peer pressure can be pretty tough in high school and sometimes speaking out can be difficult.

That's actually a good idea as my school has a sharifs office nearby on the campus and I'm meeting with my advisor today who may have some advice on the situation, my mom made it very clear we are not calling the police so I can only hope my advisor will do something.

My daughter PinkNinja is in that area. She has solved this problem once before from a kid who was peeing in everyones caches. Her Idea actually stopped him. PM me some caches you know have been tampered with and I will see if she can come up with any ideas.

The only geocache I know that he has stolen is soquel's lighten up #8 on the cabbrillo campus

We had a similar situation in our area, though all of the parties were girls, so I understand that the dynamic could be different. The friend of the "thief" had an older sister who talked to her and got her to stop--also to give her (the older sister) the caches to return to the owners. Maybe if you can find someone who is just a bit older and wiser, but not an "adult" your non-friend might listen to him.

No way. If it were me I'd provide the chap a learning experience in life. Only then will he realize how his actions affect other people. I don't care how benign, letting someone off the hook for bad behavior is what breeds more bad behavior.

Also what do you think he would do to me if I called the cops on him, as he has already said not to report him

We don't know him, nor what relationship you have with him.

Would he beat you up?

Would he tear you down on social media?

Would he give you a wedgie?

Would he find a gun and come after you?

Honestly, only you (or he) could answer this question.

To the OP, all you need to do is just ignore the offender, show no more interest in what he is doing and he will move onto something else.

Yeah, and you really don't want to be anywhere near him when his behaviour escalates.

Bad behaviour starts small. Practice, practice, practice....

To the people who think that this is about stealing small containers, think again. The guy is crying out for attention. Any kind of attention. He is currently getting it from the OP. When that gets boring, or the OP finally moves on and ignores him, then he will need to move on to something more dramatic and attention-grabbing.

B.

Yeah, and you really don't want to be anywhere near him when his behaviour escalates.

Bad behaviour starts small. Practice, practice, practice....

To the people who think that this is about stealing small containers, think again. The guy is crying out for attention. Any kind of attention. He is currently getting it from the OP. When that gets boring, or the OP finally moves on and ignores him, then he will need to move on to something more dramatic and attention-grabbing.

B.

I wish I could avoid him, I really wish I could but we go to a small school, and he is in almost every class I take.

Also I'm going to be taking to him with my advisor about what he's doing. He said to my advisor when she talked to him that he didn't mean any harm but he's said to me himself rules are meant to be broken.

My advice is to ignore this person and don't be minding his actions. Kinda like a Troll, just don't pay any attention to them and they go away on their own. :laughing:

Also I'm going to be taking to him with my advisor about what he's doing. He said to my advisor when she talked to him that he didn't mean any harm but he's said to me himself rules are meant to be broken.

So you did talk to your adivsor and she talked to him? Now that he's starting to receive more official attention, he may stop. He clearly doesn't respect you, but an adult with some authority might get is attention. I'd ask a real policeman to talk to him next; that'll scare him, especially since he told you not to report him. He's scared of authority.

You could stop a destructive behavior from escalating into a real crime. Once he gets bored with stealing caches, it's not much of a stretch to move on to smashing mailboxes or other vandalism. Maybe one day he'll thank you for this.