Australian Heritage

Surfing in the Internet I noticed, some useful categories are not available.

In Europe and America there are categories for heritage sites. We find it in Germany, Austria, Spain and some States in North America.

This category is not available in Australia. But there, we also find beautiful old buildings, often hidden in side streets or behind skyscrapers. I think it is worth to waymark them.

In Australia all Heritage sites are given in a database.

Before posting a waymark it can be checked in that database.

My idea is, to create a new category for Australian Heritage sites similar tot he categories like:

Germany: Deutsche Denkmallisten - German Monument Registers

Spain: Spanish Heritage

Austria & Switzerland: Austrian and Swiss National Heritage Sites

and so on.

What do you think about that category?

Here a proposal for a description:

Description:

To find and document locations that are officially listed by the respective authorities in Australia.

Expanded Description:

The aim of this category is to find and document the officially listed cultural heritage sites in Australia.

We are interested in permanent and immobile sites. The official lists of protected heritage sites in Australia can be found in the following database:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl

The Australian Heritage Database is a listing of heritage sites in Australia. It is maintained by the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (Australia), in consultation with Australian Heritage Council. There are more than twenty thousand entries in the database, which includes natural, historic and Indigenous places.

Lists covered by the database are:

• the World Heritage List, places that are of outstanding universal value and have been included on this United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) managed list. (not part of this category)

• the National Heritage List, a long list of natural, historic and Indigenous places that are of outstanding national heritage value to the Australian nation.

• the Commonwealth Heritage List, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous places of heritage significance owned or controlled by the Australian Government.

• the Register of the National Estate, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous heritage places throughout Australia, frozen in February 2007 until it was replaced by other heritage lists in 2012.

• the Australian National Shipwreck Database,[1] a register of historic shipwrecks in Australian waters, administered by The Department of the Environment and Water Resources.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Heritage_Database)

Instructions for Posting a Australian Heritage Sites Waymark:

Provide the coordinates taken by you on the site.

Provide at least two daylight photos taken by yourself. One close up of the building, the other showing the building and its surroundings. For more complex sites with several buildings more pictures are appropriate. If there is a plaque on the monument please include also a picture of it.

We are not looking for Heritage Sites outside the Australian jurisdiction.

But Australia, all Australian islands and the Corres Strait Islands are included.

Only the following lists are allowed:

• National Heritage List

• Commonwealth Heritage List

• Register of the National Estate

Describe the object and its history; include as many information as you can get into the long description. Citations are allowed, but must be declared as such, including the source.

Fill out the variables as well as you can.

Naming convention for the title: Name (try to find something useful and unique for the closer area) - City, State, Country

Multilingual submissions are highly welcome but not required. Compulsory is a description in English.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To log a visit, please post a photo of the location you took yourself. You do not have to be in the picture. Please do NOT post pictures of your GPSr! Tell us about your visit. If you cannot provide a photo your visit will still be welcome, but then tell us a bit more, please.

Category Settings:

• Waymarks can be added to this category

• New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

• Category is visible in the directory

Variables:

• List (compulsory)

• Place ID (compulsory)

• Place File No (compulsory)

• URL database reference (compulsory)

• Year built

The category would get my vote. Do you know if any of those lists include potential waymarks that are outside of Australia or PNG?

Yes ther is a list:

List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia

First I thought, all lists are combined. But you can select a list, and you see, in which list the building is listed.

That is the reason for the variable LIST.

I excluded the list "List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia". So the sentence "We are not looking for Heritage Sites outside the Australian jurisdiction." may not nessesary. But I think, it is not wrong and can stay in the description.

Edited by CADS11

I'd support this category if I think it is viable :)

Since your profile shows you live in Germany. have you reached out to any waymarkers in Australia? Is there interest there for it?

You are right. We thought of waymarkers in Australia.

I have been to Australia very often, cause of my job. It is my second most visited foreign country and I think I know several places in Australia. I will be there again in autumn.

I know lots of Australian geocachers, but less of Australian waymarkers. I have contacted some and waiting for an answer.

I would not offer such a category in for example USA, because I have never been there.

It is a good idea to create a category for the history of australia, but you know that in europe some historical places have been granted to australia (in connection with the different wars).

What do you think ?

In the description is written:

But Australia, all Australian islands and the Corres Strait Islands are included.

No places in Europe are allowed.

The category would get my vote. Do you know if any of those lists include potential waymarks that are outside of Australia or PNG?

Yes ther is a list:

List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia

First I thought, all lists are combined. But you can select a list, and you see, in which list the building is listed.

That is the reason for the variable LIST.

I excluded the list "List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia". So the sentence "We are not looking for Heritage Sites outside the Australian jurisdiction." may not nessesary. But I think, it is not wrong and can stay in the description.

If it's on the Australian national heritage database list, it should be included. The listings are divided by state and overseas, for ease of finding through a search engine.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

It is a good idea to create a category for the history of australia, but you know that in europe some historical places have been granted to australia (in connection with the different wars).

What do you think ?

I would vote no on this category then.

Australia was part of a worldwide colonial empire, and therefore its history ranges across the globe. It's inappropriate (in my view) to exclude places like Gallipoli that are so significant that they are listed as an Australian Heritage Site just because a waymarker not from Australia (but who has been there on business trips) decides European Australian Heritage Sites shouldn't quailfy.

There are New Zealand Heritage sites in London (UK) that are in the NZ database and are acceptable waymarks - I have one. We have US National Register properties "overseas" in US territories and those are allowed. Either waymark ALL the LISTED Australian National Heritage SItes, or NONE of them.

I am most troubled by the complete lack of interest from Australia so far. If they don't want the category, and it is limited to the country only, there Is a legitimate question about whether this category is sustainable, which means it needs Australian desire for it and participation in it.

What do you think ?

Australia was part of a worldwide colonial empire, and therefore its history ranges across the globe. It's inappropriate (in my view) to exclude places like Gallipoli that are so significant that they are listed as an Australian Heritage Site just because a waymarker not from Australia (but who has been there on business trips) decides European Australian Heritage Sites shouldn't quailfy.

There are New Zealand Heritage sites in London (UK) that are in the NZ database and are acceptable waymarks - I have one. We have US National Register properties "overseas" in US territories and those are allowed. Either waymark ALL the LISTED Australian National Heritage SItes, or NONE of them.

I am most troubled by the complete lack of interest from Australia so far. If they don't want the category, and it is limited to the country only, there Is a legitimate question about whether this category is sustainable, which means it needs Australian desire for it and participation in it.

Thanks for your thoughts. That makes it much easier.

We delete the lines:

and accept all entries in the lists, mentioned.

Now we wait to see if there is any desire or excitement for this category in Australia. If not, then it may wind up like Korean Historic Sites category, with 12 waymarks total, and only 3 of those waymarks with a visit in many years, and few prospects for growth.

Korean Historic Sites was a great category idea, put forward by an active waymarker who lived and worked in Korea with his wife. He was there a few years, as I recall. The waymarks in the category are done very well, with gorgeous pictures and excellent write-ups. The officers are waymarkers I respect. But the category languishes with no new submissions in the years since the Leader has moved back to the US. There is not a community of interested waymarkers to grow it and add to it, or even visit waymarks in it. :(

This is why I believe a category tied to a specific country MUST have desire and interest from the Waymarking community IN THAT COUNTRY to be sustainable. If no one in that country wants the category, who will contribute to it or take it over if officers drift away? If there is a base of waymarkers in the country interested in their heritage, they will keep the category going and it won't stagnate. See Inventory of Portuguese Patrimony for example.

I look forward to hearing from some Aussie waymarkers, and seeing them participate in category development or management. That will be critical for me.

These same sustainability issues will be of concern anywhere else that "foreign" waymarkers try to create a category for a country they don't live in and where Waymarking is not on the radar. Perhaps instead of having separate categories for each country, there could be a catch-all for historic register sites/properties worldwide, that are not UNESCO sites. The waymarked site would have to be listed on a Nationsl Heritage register. That would be more sustainable in my view than a narrow country-focused category where an in-country Waymarking community may not exist.

What distinguishes your proposal to the already existing category Australian Historical Markers

Historical Marcers:

Description: Any plaque issued by a governing body, (a municipality, tourist office or Council, etc.)and Historical Society or Descendants of Historic groups of people, will be considered for inclusion in this category. Normally these plaques are a standard design but can vary between regions.

Same difference like:

Deutsche Denkmallisten - German Monument Registers and Signs of History

What distinguishes your proposal to the already existing category Australian Historical Markers

How did we all miss that? CADS11 suggested databases should be added to that category with a slight edit of the category description. Of course that assumes that category officers are in agreement and assumes that officers are still active waymarkers. It looks like Rigger64 is running a one-person category.

Edited by elyob

Thanks to BK-Hunters, and CADS11 I am now aware of this thread in the Forums. Thanks 'guys'. One of the few ACTIVE DownUnder Waymarkers here!

I do believe that this is a USEFUL category. And will try to contact known active waymarkers in Australia. I don't know of any that frequent the Forums, so that would be why there is no response(s) ATM.

Thank you to Grahame Cookie for bringing this to my attention. It could be a viable category as Australian Historical Markers require a plaque recording the significance of the location. I seldom use the Australian Heritage Database but had a look at sites in my home town, of which there are 4 in the main street, then walked up to have a look. I already knew one had a plaque but the other three don't so they wouldn't fit in the Australian Historical Markers category.

So it appears that providing a plaque is not required it would be a viable idea. If there is a plaque then it could be submitted to both categories. I'd be interested in being an Officer & would actively submit various locations. Not all sites were buildings eg nature reserves, even rolling green hills so that opens up a lot of country.

It's Torres Strait not Corres but all Australian Heritage sites should be included no matter where they are.

Having lived in Oz we’re allowed to call Australia our second home (or are we “foreigners” too).

On our holidays across the Tasman we enjoy seeing the many beautiful old sandstone buildings, the small heritage villages and other interesting historic places and we feel this Australian Heritage category should exist and will survive as there are plenty of keen waymarkers in Australia and plenty of visiting waymarkers from other countries (we know because they also visit our Aussie waymarks). We would support this category and it certainly gets our vote.

Some of the Australian heritage places may be a little harder to recognise as there appears to be no official dedicated Heritage plaques on them. However the online State Heritage Registers will quickly show if they are listed and acceptable as waymarks into this new category. There are other various assorted plaques that are waymarked under Australian Historical Markers and these may overlap some heritage sites, but there are so many more significant and valued historical and cultural heritage places without plaques in this country that deserve to be waymarked.

A Heritage Category in Waymarking could also prove to be a very useful guide for tourists visiting Australia.

Description:

To find and document locations that are officially listed by the respective authorities in Australia.

Expanded Description:

The aim of this category is to find and document the officially listed cultural heritage sites in Australia.

We are interested in permanent and immobile sites. The official lists of protected heritage sites in Australia can be found in the following database:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl

The Australian Heritage Database is a listing of heritage sites in Australia. It is maintained by the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (Australia), in consultation with Australian Heritage Council. There are more than twenty thousand entries in the database, which includes natural, historic and Indigenous places.

• the World Heritage List, places that are of outstanding universal value and have been included on this United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) managed list. (not part of this category)

• the National Heritage List, a long list of natural, historic and Indigenous places that are of outstanding national heritage value to the Australian nation.

• the Commonwealth Heritage List, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous places of heritage significance owned or controlled by the Australian Government.

• the Register of the National Estate, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous heritage places throughout Australia, frozen in February 2007 until it was replaced by other heritage lists in 2012.

• the Australian National Shipwreck Database,[1] a register of historic shipwrecks in Australian waters, administered by The Department of the Environment and Water Resources.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Heritage_Database)

Instructions for Posting a Australian Heritage Sites Waymark:

Provide the coordinates taken by you on the site.

Provide at least two daylight photos taken by yourself. One close up of the building, the other showing the building and its surroundings. For more complex sites with several buildings more pictures are appropriate. If there is a plaque on the monument please include also a picture of it.

Only the following lists are allowed:

• National Heritage List

Describe the object and its history; include as many information as you can get into the long description. Citations are allowed, but must be declared as such, including the source.

Naming convention for the title: Name (try to find something useful and unique for the closer area) - City, State, Country

Multilingual submissions are highly welcome but not required. Compulsory is a description in English.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

To log a visit, please post a photo of the location you took yourself. You do not have to be in the picture. Please do NOT post pictures of your GPSr! Tell us about your visit. If you cannot provide a photo your visit will still be welcome, but then tell us a bit more, please.

Category Settings:

• New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Variables:

• List (compulsory)

• Place ID (compulsory)

• Year built

I have had a look at the proposal but , according to the Australian Heritage page they claim over 20,000 locations as in the submission , however on the Commonwealth list there are 400, the National list 107 and 19 on the World list , where are the other 19.500?? and how do I find them ??. As of 2012 the Register of the National Estate ceased to exist. Do we include the individual State Heritage lists?

Description:

Expanded Description:

We are interested in permanent and immobile sites.

The official lists of protected heritage sites in Australia can be found in the following database, which is maintained by the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (Australia), in consultation with Australian Heritage Council. There are more than twenty thousand entries in the database, which includes natural, historic and Indigenous places:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search

For more on the separate lists covered by the database, see Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Heritage_Database)

Instructions for Posting a Australian Heritage Sites waymark:

You must provide accurate coordinates at the entrance to the site or at a place that makes sense (for large sites). State where the coordinates are located in the Long Description.

Provide at least two daylight photos taken by yourself. One should be a close up of the building. The other should show the building and its surroundings. For more complex sites with several buildings, more pictures are appropriate. If there is a plaque on the monument please include a picture of it.

All Australian Heritage Sites listed in the databases below are accepted:

• National Heritage List

If a particular site is also a UNESCO World Heritage site, it can be cross-posted in this category as long as the site has its own listing in one of the three databases above.

Naming convention for the title: Name - City, State, Country

Multilingual submissions are highly welcome but not required. One of the descriptions must be in English.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this category:

Category Settings:

Variables:

• List (compulsory)

• Place ID (compulsory)

• Year built

I have made a few cosmetic changes for readability, and I have cleaned up a couple of other things, such as awkward language, and I have removed the restriction that overseas sites are not allowed, as discussed in the forum.

I also removed the exclusion for UNESCO sites, because it seems to me that (1) allowing those few sites into this category does not create a redundancy issue, (2) UNESCO sites with their own listing should be included if ALL sites on the listed databases are to be included, and (3) every other category accepts cross-posting of UNESCO sites as long as the site has its own listing in the country's particular national heritage register. For example: The San Antonio missions are UNESCO sites, and are also on the US National Register of Historic Places. Therefore, they can be and are waymarked in both categories.

:)

I have had a look at the proposal but , according to the Australian Heritage page they claim over 20,000 locations as in the submission , however on the Commonwealth list there are 400, the National list 107 and 19 on the World list , where are the other 19.500?? and how do I find them ??. As of 2012 the Register of the National Estate ceased to exist. Do we include the individual State Heritage lists?

The only link you need is this one: http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl

There is a State option, click on NSW for example (no need to fill out anything else) and it will show a complete alphabetical list of over 6000 listings, South Australia had over 3000, Tasmania has 2300 and so on. I found this link is the best way of looking up Heritage listings. There are other State Lists and a lot of other links, and some that just don't seem to work. This one is the best. You will see down at the bottom of the Search page, there are also links to further sites, so it's all there on the one page.

Description:

Expanded Description:

We are interested in permanent and immobile sites.

The official lists of protected heritage sites in Australia can be found in the following database, which is maintained by the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (Australia), in consultation with Australian Heritage Council. There are more than twenty thousand entries in the database, which includes natural, historic and Indigenous places:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search

For more on the separate lists covered by the database, see Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Heritage_Database)

Instructions for Posting a Australian Heritage Sites waymark:

You must provide accurate coordinates at the entrance to the site or at a place that makes sense (for large sites). State where the coordinates are located in the Long Description.

Provide at least two daylight photos taken by yourself. One should be a close up of the building. The other should show the building and its surroundings. For more complex sites with several buildings, more pictures are appropriate. If there is a plaque on the monument please include a picture of it.

All Australian Heritage Sites listed in the databases below are accepted:

• National Heritage List

If a particular site is also a UNESCO World Heritage site, it can be cross-posted in this category as long as the site has its own listing in one of the three databases above.

Naming convention for the title: Name - City, State, Country

Multilingual submissions are highly welcome but not required. One of the descriptions must be in English.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this category:

Category Settings:

Variables:

• List (compulsory)

• Place ID (compulsory)

• Year built

I have made a few cosmetic changes for readability, and I have cleaned up a couple of other things, such as awkward language, and I have removed the restriction that overseas sites are not allowed, as discussed in the forum.

I also removed the exclusion for UNESCO sites, because it seems to me that (1) allowing those few sites into this category does not create a redundancy issue, (2) UNESCO sites with their own listing should be included if ALL sites on the listed databases are to be included, and (3) every other category accepts cross-posting of UNESCO sites as long as the site has its own listing in the country's particular national heritage register. For example: The San Antonio missions are UNESCO sites, and are also on the US National Register of Historic Places. Therefore, they can be and are waymarked in both categories.

:)

The only link you need is this one: http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl

There is a State option, click on NSW for example (no need to fill out anything else) and it will show a complete alphabetical list of over 6000 listings, South Australia had over 3000, Tasmania has 2300 and so on. I found this link is the best way of looking up Heritage listings. There are other State Lists and a lot of other links, and some that just don't seem to work. This one is the best. You will see down at the bottom of the Search page, there are also links to further sites, so it's all there on the one page.

Had another look at the Australian Heritage Database & found sites recorded as Indicative Places, the definition being:

The legal status of a heritage place describes its position in the heritage listing assessment process. Examples of types of legal status include nominated, rejected and listed. Each list has its own types of legal status.

I found a site that has been nominated but not yet assessed. It could be rejected, it could be listed.

Would you allow places that have simply been nominated to be waymarked?

Had another look at the Australian Heritage Database & found sites recorded as Indicative Places, the definition being:

The legal status of a heritage place describes its position in the heritage listing assessment process. Examples of types of legal status include nominated, rejected and listed. Each list has its own types of legal status.

I found a site that has been nominated but not yet assessed. It could be rejected, it could be listed.

A complicated database. The above is the definition for a World Heritage Listed Indicative Property. An Indicative Place appears under National Heritage List & the definition is:

Data provided to or obtained by the Heritage Branch has been entered into the database. However, a formal nomination has not been made and the Council has not received the data for assessment.

The data in the place does not necessarily represent the views of the Council or the Minister.

The question is basically the same though.

I would think not, since every other Heritage List category I am familiar with requires being listed, not simply being eligible, or nominated.

In the US, new additions to the National Register listings are published frequently. Sometimes it takes years of detailed research to get listed. Other times the listing forms are returned for more work, and the listing attempt is abandoned.

So just because something is eligible for listing on the US National Register of Historic Properties, or something is nominated for NRHP listing, does not mean it will ever actually BE listed. It's a tough process.

But I'm not a category officer, so that's just my 2c

The Australian Heritage Sites Category is now in Peer Review. Please vote Yea and help us gain a new and useful category which has been missing from Waymarking for too long. Australia is a large open sunburnt country, from sandy red outback deserts to tropical green rainforests, to misty blue mountains, to long golden coastlines, it is full of interesting history and heritage. We would like this opportunity to proudly list this Nation's treasures for all the world to see. And you're all invited to come Down Under and enjoy them!

If it's on the Australian national heritage database list, it should be included. The listings are divided by state and overseas, for ease of finding through a search engine.

Just noticed this category in Peer review. I have to agree with Blasterz that it should include ALL locations listed in the Australian national heritage database. I'm not sure the reasoning for excluding the overseas locations. It seems these could only make the category more global and accessible to other waymarkers. I'm afraid I'll have to abstain on this one unless all locations are included.

Just noticed this category in Peer review. I have to agree with Blasterz that it should include ALL locations listed in the Australian national heritage database. I'm not sure the reasoning for excluding the overseas locations. It seems these could only make the category more global and accessible to other waymarkers. I'm afraid I'll have to abstain on this one unless all locations are included.

That is a discussion about 5 entries.

That is a discussion about 5 entries.

Wait -- if overseas entries are excluded, I will change my vote. I thought the decision had been made to include ALL THE LOCATIONS?

What do you think ?

Thanks for your thoughts. That makes it much easier.

We delete the lines:

and accept all entries in the lists, mentioned.

Are the overseas locations in the Australian Heritage database included in the category, YES or NO?

The instructions for posting waymarks into this category clearly state: The category includes Australia, all Australian islands, Torres Strait Islands, Norfolk Is, Overseas and External Territories. There are 5 listed under Overseas they are all Status:Listed Places, 2 are on Commonwealth list and the others are on Overseas Places of Historical Significance list. So that answers the question, Yes, there are 5 places on the "Overseas" list.

Edited by Punga and Paua

The instructions for posting waymarks into this category clearly state: The category includes Australia, all Australian islands, Torres Strait Islands, Norfolk Is, Overseas and External Territories. There are 5 listed under Overseas they are all Status:Listed Places, 2 are on Commonwealth list and the others are on Overseas Places of Historical Significance list. So that answers the question, Yes, there are 5 places on the "Overseas" list.

Thank you -- I think this will be an AWESOME and OVERDUE category

In the category description is read

the World Heritage List, places that are of outstanding universal value and have been included on this United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) managed list.

the National Heritage List, a long list of natural, historic and Indigenous places that are of outstanding national heritage value to the Australian nation.

the Commonwealth Heritage List, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous places of heritage significance owned or controlled by the Australian Government.

the Register of the National Estate, a list of natural, historic and Indigenous heritage places throughout Australia, frozen in February 2007 until it was replaced by other heritage lists in 2012.

Lise of Overseas places is missing. I'm not sure why it's necessary to break out these lists in the description. Why not simplify the requirement as anything in the Australian Heritage Database?

Edited by RakeInTheCache