Just got scuba certified... any caches for that?

Lansay

Hello fellow geocachers. I'm located in California, and despite looking around the map a bit, I didn't find any geocaches that had to do with scuba diving. Do they exist? If not, is there a reason why?

This is my first time posting in the forums so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place.

As a basic member you're kinda limited in search functions for high-terrain caches if using an app.

A premium membership for extended searches or pqs would have helped a lot here.

On a pc, you could look on the map for water, looking for the 5-terrain caches, and scanning the cache pages for the attributes of scuba gear , may require swimming, or boat required.

They're out there, though not many in my area. Most we've done were snorkeling.

I'd like to think it's because few are able to access, so the cache wouldn't see that much action.

Ones we've done (and that's just snorkeling) only had a couple sigs on the logs.

But as there aren't that many (near me) that walk more than half a mile today either, it's possible that it's simply not what some cachers are into these days. :)

Hello fellow geocachers. I'm located in California, and despite looking around the map a bit, I didn't find any geocaches that had to do with scuba diving. Do they exist? If not, is there a reason why?

This is my first time posting in the forums so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place.

You're in the right area. I was just looking around San Diego and saw a number of scuba/underwater hides. Use the website, not the app, to search and you'll be able to see them.

Congrats!

I certified in the cold waters of Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan, before moving westward. Lemme tell ya, getting back into that wetsuit for a second dive, in 10 degree winds, was the cat's meow.

I believe there are a couple around Monterey and Pebble Beach. As of yet I haven't gone diving out here and would probably prefer recertifying before having a go.

Best of luck!

Here is a bookmark list for scuba caches in the U.S.

If anyone knows of any not on this list they can email the list owner and ask they be added on.

https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=821648e5-a67a-4092-9adf-965e7785b236

There are scuba parks in WA State, along with many water caches of all kinds (a lot of boating caches).

If you want all water caches you can go to the geocaching main search page, hit "filters" and slide the slider that will give you all "Terrain 5" caches. That will get you most boating, and scuba caches plus a few more very interesting ones.

Have fun. :)

Here is a bookmark list for scuba caches in the U.S.

If anyone knows of any not on this list they can email the list owner and ask they be added on.

https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=821648e5-a67a-4092-9adf-965e7785b236

There are scuba parks in WA State, along with many water caches of all kinds (a lot of boating caches).

If you want all water caches you can go to the geocaching main search page, hit "filters" and slide the slider that will give you all "Terrain 5" caches. That will get you most boating, and scuba caches plus a few more very interesting ones.

Have fun. :)

Deepseagoddess has a number of wreck dive caches off the NC Coast.

I doubt that BM list will be updated any time soon. The owner of the list archived all of his caches back in December 2015. That's never a good sign. :(

Edited by wimseyguy