GPS lag with new app

hofy67

I hope they plan on fixing the lag between this new app and the phone's gps. It is bad enough when you are driving and it can not keep up, but there is no excuse for it when you are walking and is so slow that you can not get within 60 feet of a cache. The classic app does not have this problem as we used 2 identical Samsung Galaxy S7 today. One was with the new app and one with the classic. The classic app allowed the person using it to head right to ground zero and start searching. The person using the new app was wandering around aimlessly nowhere near the cache area.

This needs to be fixed BEFORE the classic app is turned off.

I would get to within 60 feet and it would not update again until I was 60 feet past GZ. Did this several times on a few caches. Then we would switch over to the classic app and the distance would count down right to GZ first try. No problems with c:geo either.

It's shocking that this fundamental problem still hasn't been addressed. Posted videos of the refresh rate between the 2 apps last year and it was obvious that the new app has issues.

Fortunately (it seems) my android device died and now using an iPhone, the new iOS app is spot on with the refresh rate.

First to say I love the changes that have been made in the latest update as far as the map icons being so much more useful/visible and the compass not going to sleep after 30 seconds. However, the most fundamental function of the geocaching app is to find a cache and it is almost impossible using this app. Was very frustrated yesterday as I was wandering around aimlessly waiting for my compass to count down even though I had moved more than 100 feet, in each and every case. My caching partner was using his GPS and walking in a completely different direction than I and finding the caches. I never did find a cache yesterday using the new geocaching app. I used c:geo if I really wanted to navigate to and find a cache. The GPS lag on Android is a huge problem and makes navigating to a cache impossible. My Samsung Galaxy S7 is updated with Android 7:Nougat.

Edited by Zargonians

Maybe the GPS should update the position more often than every 5th second. The GPS is lagging too much on my Sony Xperia Z and I can´t use it, but it is on the other hand working OK on my friend´s LG G4 phone.

All other apps I have tested, are not lagging with the Sony Xperia Z.

Edited by Torkan

Last week I sent in a trouble ticket and after exchanging emails a couple of times I received the following reply today.

"That appears to be a bug that a small number of geocachers are experiencing. The devs are on it, and it should hopefully be fixed soon, or with our next update. "

Having this Exact problem on two of our Android phones. One a Motorola Turbo, the other a Samsung Galaxy S6. Both had this lag problem. My wife switched to her company I-Phone 6 and we went straight to the cache. Neither one of the Android phones would get us close to the cache. The only thing they were good for was logging the cache. The old app did not have this problem. I hope they fix this soon.

I stood for several minutes with the Garmin, the old app, and the new one. The Garmin said GZ was 4 feet - the old app said 8 feet and the new one said 43 feet with a 76 foot accuracy. Today I got within 512 feet in an empty parking lot after a 5 minute wait. No - the new app is nothing for me - very disappointed in the "improvement".

The new App is useless for urban Geocaches.

You get within 40-50 feet and it doesn't update unless you walk at least that distance away (past) the location.

Then it will update and show the cache behind you. I've been forced to triangulate the actual location if I only have the App to use.

I'm using a Samsung S5 and did not have this problem on the Classic App or any of the 3rd party Apps.

And why can't we log "Attend" for Events?

And why can't we log "Attend" for Events?

I just clicked on an Event cache that has already happened and see the option to "Log Attended" at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you're trying to log an event that hasn't occurred yet, in which case it makes sense that you can't log "attended".

The GPS lag is atrocious on the new app and has been for the past 8 to 10 months. Before that, it was actually okay. Driving with the APP and hoping it updates is

past useless. Walking is just nuts. Other apps, other devices do not have this issue.

This is with a Samsung S7 Nougat. Really pathetic that this has not been addressed.

The 5 second / 15 feet update rule is not acceptable when every other GPS in both the Android and iPhone world use much higher frequency of updates.

Please fix this.

I add my frustration that I was not able to log my Events yesterday with the app. Really? Had to use c:geo .

Seems I'm using it more and more.

Which is sad because for the most part I prefer the app.

I still wish we had access to personal notes though.