Global Transmitters

Global Transmitters

GeoMaulis tried to creat a new categorie.I am in his "ship" sionce few hours.The idea is naturally in a world-wide common spread, but as well pretty new...cool.gif

Such transmitters are subjects, which will find easily most on hills or on city-skyscrapers; otherwise is the surrounding of airfields for public and military purposes.and ELSEWHERE.

What do you think, dear waymarker, about this new category ??? big_smile.gif

Your

*SportBaer*

230pxsendemastbwapvi50nq.jpg

What is the definition of a GLOBAL transmitter? Is it part of a specific kind of satellite network?

Or is global defined by reach of signal? Some US 50,000 watt clear-channel radio stations can be heard at night in Europe: my Dad listened to WBAP AM-820 from Fort Worth Tx (his hometown and employer before and after his stint in the Army) when stationed in Germany in 1961. Is this global?

You can hear KRLD-AM 1080 at night in 38 US States, and parts of Canada. Is that global?

(Here's a list of US-based clear-channel stations, buy the way: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_50_kW_AM_radio_stations_in_the_United_States )

As a waymarker, how can I know what is a global transmitter, and not just a regular or local TV/radio station transmitter when I see it?

What proof is required?

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Global Transmitters

GeoMaulis tried to creat a new categorie.I am in his "ship" sionce few hours.The idea is naturally in a world-wide common spread, but as well pretty new...cool.gif

Such transmitters are subjects, which will find easily most on hills or on city-skyscrapers; otherwise is the surrounding of airfields for public and military purposes.and ELSEWHERE.

What do you think, dear waymarker, about this new category ??? big_smile.gif

Your

*SportBaer*

230pxsendemastbwapvi50nq.jpg

Hello Benchmark Blasterz,

your right. The name is misleading. Global in this case means „world wide“. In order to avoid a lack of clarity and/or misunderstandings I think it would be better to rename the category.

I think -Radio and television transmitters- would be a good name to avoid such misunderstandings.

I ´m not at home for the rest of the day and it is very annoying to create post with my old smartphone :) . I will post more details and ideas about the planned tomorrow so we can discuss this things.

And by the way: Please excuse my bad English.

Hello Benchmark Blasterz,

your right. The name is misleading. Global in this case means „world wide“. In order to avoid a lack of clarity and/or misunderstandings I think it would be better to rename the category.

I think -Radio and television transmitters- would be a good name to avoid such misunderstandings.

I ´m not at home for the rest of the day and it is very annoying to create post with my old smartphone :) . I will post more details and ideas about the planned tomorrow so we can discuss this things.

And by the way: Please excuse my bad English.

No worries about the English :)

I am not against your category. It is not easy to create new categories, and so you need to do a great deal of thinking first.

What is the purpose of this category? Is it just to collect pictures of transmitter towers and locations, or is there more you want to do?

A category to waymark transmitter towers will have to avoid redundancy issues with the already existing categories. It may also have an issue with other waymarkers not thinking these towers are very interesting to waymark or visit.

There will DEFINITELY have a prevalence issue and identification issue. Such towers are EVERYWHERE -- we have 62 radio and 22 TV stations in Dallas TX. There are thousands upon thousands of TV and radio stations worldwide, from very low-power stations of a few watts to broadcast to a limited area, to 50,000 watt "clear channel" stations (in the US) with a global reach at night and with the right atmospheric conditions.

Do you want every transmitter tower for every station, or do you want to limit the category to commercially-licensed stations only, or to stations that exceed a certain power threshold, say 200 watts? Or do you want to cut out the small fry and require 1000W?

What about "daytimers" -- stations that only broadcast during the day, or other intermittent stations. Will they be included?

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_broadcast_station_classes for North American classes of radio broadcast stations.

Also:: What do I need to prove that a waymark for the KRLD radio towers is actually of the KRLD towers? Most modern towers are located far away from the stations themselves, on tops of ridges or mountains. Few have call letters or other idenitifying information near or on them.

You will also need to decide how you will handle tower farms. One waymark for the entire farm, or do you want a waymark for each station separately?

What about relay towers that send a signal from the studio to the distant transmitter site for broadcast -- are those waymarkable here?

What about single transmitter locations that host dozens of TV and radio stations - one waymark for the tower, or separate waymarks for each station?

Will legacy or backup transmitters be included?

For example: The Empire State Building was built in 1929 with a state if the art radio and TV transmitter tower that hosted dozens of TV and radio stations from the 1930s-mid1970s, when most of the the stations moved to the newer transmitter in top of the World Trade Center.

When the WTC was destroyed, many of the TV and radio stations that had kept equipment at the ESB as a backup returned full-time to broadcasting from there. Other newer stations never were there at ESB, and had to build their own towers, staying off the air for weeks or months. In 2016 some stations have now moved again to the new Freedom Tower, but have kept their backup facilities at the new towers or at the ESB just in case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/12/nyregion/broadcasters-put-antennas-in-midtown.html

and

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/world_trade_centers_main_tower.html

I am not trying to discourage you. I am simply trying to help you anticipate issues that will arise in peer review.

... and see here for public broadcast stations... wikipedia.org/wiki/Rundfunksender and .wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_bekannter_Sendeanlagen unsure.gif

:

There would be only one in Canada and six in the US. However, the number of potential waymarks in Europe looks good.

Hello,

thanks for your proposals and questions.

The transmitters must be used mainly to broadcast radio and / or television programs (using A.M., F.M, LW , DAB). If there is an additional use (e.g mobile telecommunication) then that should be no problem.

Transmitters which were built on the area of broadcasting stations or transmitters which were mounted on buildings of radio or television broadcasting stations (in my opinion these transmitters are part oft he broadcasting stations itself) as well as Amateur Radio Repeaters and transmitters on Police Stations and Fire Stations should not be accepted in this category.

This should avoid redundancy issues with the already existing categories.

Tower farms are a good point. The greatest transmitter tower farm I know of consists of five towers (height of the towers: 276 meters / 905 ft, 59 meters / 193 ft, 282 meters / 925 ft, 234 meters / 767 ft and 234 meters / 767 ft). The distance between the towers is about 280 meters. So I think tower farms should be one waymark if the distance between the towers is not more then 300 meters/984 ft (in this case one of the two required pictures must shown the entire tower farm).

Mobile (mounted on trucks or trailers) or temporary transmitters (transmitters which were build only for a specified period of time and then will be removed again) will not be accepted.

I think there should be only one waymark per transmitter regardless of how many radio or television station are using it to broadcast their programs.

Transmitters that operate only during daytime or in the night should be accepted.

Transmitters inside military bases will not be accepted.

A special point are backup transmitter and transmitters that are out of service.

I think backup transmitters should be accepted.

At the moment I tend not to accept permanently disconnected transmitters.

If you have more proposals and questions please post them. I will then write a first Version oft he category description with nstructions for posting/visiting a waymark, category settings and variables and I will post it here for further discussion.

Hello,

The transmitters must be used mainly to broadcast radio and / or television programs (using A.M., F.M, LW , DAB). If there is an additional use (e.g mobile telecommunication) then that should be no problem.

Transmitters which were built on the area of broadcasting stations or transmitters which were mounted on buildings of radio or television broadcasting stations (in my opinion these transmitters are part oft he broadcasting stations itself) as well as Amateur Radio Repeaters and transmitters on Police Stations and Fire Stations should not be accepted in this category.

Tower farms are a good point. The greatest transmitter tower farm I know of consists of five towers (height of the towers: 276 meters / 905 ft, 59 meters / 193 ft, 282 meters / 925 ft, 234 meters / 767 ft and 234 meters / 767 ft). The distance between the towers is about 280 meters. So I think tower farms should be one waymark if the distance between the towers is not more then 300 meters/984 ft (in this case one of the two required pictures must shown the entire tower farm).

Mobile (mounted on trucks or trailers) or temporary transmitters (transmitters which were build only for a specified period of time and then will be removed again) will not be accepted.

I think there should be only one waymark per transmitter regardless of how many radio or television station are using it to broadcast their programs.

Transmitters that operate only during daytime or in the night should be accepted.

A special point are backup transmitter and transmitters that are out of service.

If you have more proposals and questions please post them. I will then write a first Version oft he category description with nstructions for posting/visiting a waymark, category settings and variables and I will post it here for further discussion.

I believe all transmitters should be accepted, regardless of location. Those on military bases should be accepted as well. Although closed to the public, I have myself waymarked on several military bases which require special events (such as an air show or open house) for the public to visit. The main issue here is how do you prove a transmitter was used for TV or radio or even defunct? Should we provide proof from a website saying that these are being actively used? Also, some transmitters are at the top of skyscrapers. Should this be accepted as well? I say yes!

I disagree that a transmitter at the station site should NOT be allowed, because it is not redundant with the station. Cross-posting is not an issue -- the issue of redundancy comes in if a category of waymarks can already be placed in a pre-existing category. There is no pre-existing category for TV station TRANSMITTERS, so a transmitter at the TV station is NOT redundant in my view.

Many of the earliest TV stations in the US has their transmitters at the station -- an example is WBAP-TV Channel 5 in Fort Worth (now KXAS-TV), whose 1940s-era transmitter was located a few hundred yards from the station. In the 1970s it had been relegated to back-up status, but was a cool and slightly creepy favorite place of ours place to play in. It was like a fort full of creepy machinery.

One day, me and 4 buddies were playing with Randall's board games and Legos in there when all the equipment suddenly burst into life. A huge ZZZAP followed by a loud hum and brightening glow from radio tubes bathes us in a wierd yellow light as the dials came to life. The small room filled with an acrid stink and wisps of smoke as the equipment heated up, burning off decades of dust. I remember us all being absolutely petrified, frozen, afraid to move. A few seconds later, an engineer opened the outside door, Randall's little brother screamed, and we all nearly died of fright!

The station's main transmitter had suffered a power outage, and the station was off the air. Me and my three friends thought we were in an ungodly amount of trouble, but once he recoevered from HIS fright, the engineer was glad to have us (he was the only one still at the station who knew how to run the transmitter - formerly a job for 3 men). He put us to work flipping switches and calling out power readings that he couldn't see from his spot at the triangular console. When the power emergency was over and the transmitter was powered back down, the engineer took us to the newsroom. He told my Dad (the news director) to get us all an ice cream because he could not run the transmitter by himself, and without us the station would have been dark for 2 hours!

The largest tower farms I know of are Mount Wilson in Los Angeles https://www.fybush.com/sites/2004/site-041217.html and Sandia Peak in Albuquerque http://www.insideradio.com/free/disaster-foiled-in-possible-arson-attack-at-nm-tower-farm/article_a3a61348-8b8c-11e6-8453-0beaf91118b7.html. :) They are pretty cool. The Cedar Hill tower site for Dallas is very spread out, but the tall towers can be seen for miles, so it should be no problem to get a shot of the whole thing.

I agree -- almost every US TV Station has a mobile satellite uplink unit now -- most stations have several. I think KXAS-TV has 12.

I agree with all of this.

Here's the issue with not allowing legacy transmitters - some of these are really cool historic structures from the earliest days of broadcasting, and some are on the US National Register of Historic Places. See this awesome transmitter here: https://www.fybush.com/sites/2005/site-050610.html

Finally: Please change open enrollment to ON so I can join the group. Thanks

Hello,

I believe all transmitters should be accepted, regardless of location. Those on military bases should be accepted as well. Although closed to the public, I have myself waymarked on several military bases which require special events (such as an air show or open house) for the public to visit. The main issue here is how do you prove a transmitter was used for TV or radio or even defunct? Should we provide proof from a website saying that these are being actively used? Also, some transmitters are at the top of skyscrapers. Should this be accepted as well? I say yes!

I say NO to accepting military transmitters, even from bases where the public are invited for special events. In WARTIME and when the Force Protection Status for bases is always enhanced, leave these towers and government/military sites off the list.

There are enough other commercial radio/TV towers in the world that are NOT on military installations or operated by governments or public safety departments that finding one to waymark will not be a problem.

Hello,

I say NO to accepting military transmitters, even from bases where the public are invited for special events. In WARTIME and when the Force Protection Status for bases is always enhanced, leave these towers and government/military sites off the list.

There are enough other commercial radio/TV towers in the world that are NOT on military installations or operated by governments or public safety departments that finding one to waymark will not be a problem.

I'm not saying you have to waymark every transmitter out there, but sometimes these masts are located inside military bases. The mast can be seen for miles away, even outside the military base. I don't see an issue with Waymarking these even if the public can see them. Waymarking is supposed to fill the gaps that geocaching cannot do. That is, to post things on private and government land as well. You can't hide a cache on a military base or an amusement park, but you can post a waymark in any of these areas. Nothing says we cannot do so. I know there are a lot outside of military bases already, but if we happen to see one in a military base, there shouldn't be any discouragement to submit a waymark for it. Back in 2014, I visited a military base outside of Los Angeles for an airshow. During that airshow, I happen to find a few waymarks (WMMQMK) and submitted them. I also found a few other categories (static artillery and fire stations for example) both in the same military base. All of them were published without hesitation. I don't see why we cannot do the same for this category, but that is something for the category leader to decide. I don't feel like we should be limited as to what we can or cannot submit based on location. If it's a transmition tower, it should belong in this category.

However, if the category leader believes this is an issue, then the name should be changed to "commercial transmitter towers" so that it implies those owned by the government are not to be accepted.

Edited by bluesnote

In my search for benchmarks, I have attempted to visit areas surrounding the base of the older towers. In nearly all cases, security fences prevent me from getting near the base of the towers (and the sought after benchmark). How close to the towers do we need to be for a waymark to qualify? How do we identify the tower if we cannot get close enough to read identifying signage? What location do we use for co-ordinates?

Despite sounding negative in the forum, I am keen on this category. However, I don't think I would want the reviewer burden.

I live next to a 102 meters high pylon that was used, during decades, for radio and television transmitters.

Nowadays it is only used for mobile phone transmitters.

Would it be accepted in the category?

I think Benchmark Blasterz is right. There are many historical transmitters all over the world. Searching the Internet I have even found some legacy transmitter farms. So legacy transmitters will be allowed in the catergory.

Edited by GeoMaulis

I disagree that a transmitter at the station site should NOT be allowed, because it is not redundant with the station. Cross-posting is not an issue -- the issue of redundancy comes in if a category of waymarks can already be placed in a pre-existing category. There is no pre-existing category for TV station TRANSMITTERS, so a transmitter at the TV station is NOT redundant in my view.

Many of the earliest TV stations in the US has their transmitters at the station -- an example is WBAP-TV Channel 5 in Fort Worth (now KXAS-TV), whose 1940s-era transmitter was located a few hundred yards from the station. In the 1970s it had been relegated to back-up status, but was a cool and slightly creepy favorite place of ours place to play in. It was like a fort full of creepy machinery.

One day, me and 4 buddies were playing with Randall's board games and Legos in there when all the equipment suddenly burst into life. A huge ZZZAP followed by a loud hum and brightening glow from radio tubes bathes us in a wierd yellow light as the dials came to life. The small room filled with an acrid stink and wisps of smoke as the equipment heated up, burning off decades of dust. I remember us all being absolutely petrified, frozen, afraid to move. A few seconds later, an engineer opened the outside door, Randall's little brother screamed, and we all nearly died of fright!

The station's main transmitter had suffered a power outage, and the station was off the air. Me and my three friends thought we were in an ungodly amount of trouble, but once he recoevered from HIS fright, the engineer was glad to have us (he was the only one still at the station who knew how to run the transmitter - formerly a job for 3 men). He put us to work flipping switches and calling out power readings that he couldn't see from his spot at the triangular console. When the power emergency was over and the transmitter was powered back down, the engineer took us to the newsroom. He told my Dad (the news director) to get us all an ice cream because he could not run the transmitter by himself, and without us the station would have been dark for 2 hours!

OK if there is not an issue. This transmitters will be accepted.

In my search for benchmarks, I have attempted to visit areas surrounding the base of the older towers. In nearly all cases, security fences prevent me from getting near the base of the towers (and the sought after benchmark). How close to the towers do we need to be for a waymark to qualify? How do we identify the tower if we cannot get close enough to read identifying signage? What location do we use for co-ordinates?

Despite sounding negative in the forum, I am keen on this category. However, I don't think I would want the reviewer burden.

If there is no posibillity to acess the base of the transmitter because of a secure fence the waymark should be located at the gate of the secure fence.

In a minority of cases the guy line anchors (only if it is a guyed mast) are located inside the area that is protected by secure fences. In these cases (this transmitters often are higher then 100 meters / 328 ft) the distance between the secure fences and the base of the tower is up ton 300 meters / 984 ft. But this is not a problem. But in the most cases the guy line anchors are located outside the area.

For example the world highest transmitter (high: 628 meters / 2060 ft). The guy line anchors of this tower are located far outside the area and only a very small area around the base oft he tower is protected by a secure fence.

The transmitters I saw outside and I found in the internet have roads/ways that leeding to the transmitter area (for maintenance reasons). So the transmitters are reachable by car or by foot.

If the transmitter is placed on the top of a skyscraper or an other building and there is no access to the building (no visitor platform) the waymark should be in front of the building.

If identifying signage is not reachable or there is no such signage to identify the authenticity of the the transmitter the internet should provides such information. For these cases I will add an option to the variables where a link can be posted.

If there is no possiblity to indentify the transmitter (neither by information at the transmitter site nor by the internet) it will not be accepted as a possible waymark for this category.

Edited by GeoMaulis

I live next to a 102 meters high pylon that was used, during decades, for radio and television transmitters.

I think Benchmark Blasterz is right. There are many historical transmitters all over the world. Searching the Internet I have even found some legacy transmitter farms. So legacy transmitters will be allowed in the catergory.

If the legacy transmitter farm no longer has towers, can it still be waymarked? There is no proof on site of its former function. It's now a provincial park. I would have to find proof for the waymark on-line or from the archives.

WMN65Z

Of course, that potential waymark might be excluded if military transmitters are excluded from the category.

If the legacy transmitter farm no longer has towers, can it still be waymarked? There is no proof on site of its former function. It's now a provincial park. I would have to find proof for the waymark on-line or from the archives.

WMN65Z

Of course, that potential waymark might be excluded if military transmitters are excluded from the category.

Legacy transmitters farms without a tower will not be accepted. Requirements are the same as for the other transmitters. If legacy transmitters do not meet these requirements they will not be accepted.

I think under these conditions legacy transmitters could be accepted.

I would hope that call signs and frequencies will be included in the name of the waymarks :) that's fun -- and will allow us perhaps to tune in if in the local area :)

Good idea. I will also add an text box to the variables for call signs, frequencies, channels and broadcaster.

Here is my proposal for the Description

Short Description

This category collects commercially-licensed Radio and Television transmitters around the world. Military and non-public government agency transmitters are excluded.

Expanded Description

We are looking for active and legacy radio and TV transmitters around the world that are used by commercially-licensed radio and TV stations to broadcast programs on the public airwaves.

(Note to european Waymarkers: This will also enclose european stations such as: ARD, ZDF, SWF, BBC, RAI, ORF, RTVE, VRT, radio france, France Télévisions, ERT and their equals in european countries)

Commercially-licensed Radio and TV transmitters can be found almost anywhere in the world. Many of them are very large and imposing, others are elegant and graceful. Some transmitters only have an short broadcasting area, while others can blast out radio and television signals over a wide area. Some transmitters can send signals over thousands of miles with the right atmospheric conditions in place! Pilots often use radio and TV transmitters as landmarks for Visual Flight Rules navigation.

ACCEPTABLE waymarks include:

*Multi-client transmitter towers (e.g mobile/cellular telecommunication towers) as long as at least one of the other clients is a commercially-licensed TV or radio station. These multi-client transmitters should be waymarked as a single site regardless of how many radio or television stations are using the tower. For example: Freedom Tower TV/Radio Transmitter -- New York NY USA

*"Tower farms" will be accepted, but all the towers of the farm should be grouped together into a single waymark. The waymark name will be the site of the tower farm, for example: Mount Wilson Tower Farm -- Los Angeles CA USA

*Backup transmitters and historic transmitters will be accepted if they meet the requirements for active transmitters: commercially-licensed station, tower/transmitter at site, proof of location, proof of use, etc.

Category EXCLUSIONS:

*Military and Government transmitters.

*Amateur Radio Repeaters have their own category and are also excluded.

*Legacy transmitter sites (such as tower farms) WITHOUT any towers or transmitters

*Cell phone towers are excluded, UNLESS a Commercial Radio/TV station also broadcasts from that same tower.

*Mobile transmitters (such as satellite-uplinkmtrucks, for example) or temporary transmitters (which will operate for a period of time and be removed)

Instructions for Posting a Waymark:

The transmitters must be used at the present time or in the past to broadcast commercial radio and/or TV programs using AM, FM, DAB, or LW bands.

If there is no possiblity to indentify the transmitter as a radio or television transmitter (either by information at the transmitter site or by the internet) it will not be accepted as a possible waymark for this category.

If there is no identifying sign at the transmitter location, or if the site is not publicly accessible, then internet sources may be used. Please quote the source, with attribution, and paste the link in the long description.

Place your waymark coordinates as near to the transmitter as possible. Please describe the location of the coordinates to help other waymarkers find the spot.

If the transmitter is on the top of a building and there is no access to the building (no visitors allowed) the waymark coordinates should be taken at the front of the building.

If the transmitter is on a skyscraper and access is provided by a visitor platform, please add platform open hours to the variables.

Required Photos

At least two personally-taken photos are required. One should be a close-up showing the transmitter. The second photo should be a wider shot of the entire transmitter structure.

In the case of a tower farm, one picture should show the entire farm. Other close-up photos of the farm towers are welcome If there is some identifying signage, please add a picture of the sign.

Title Requirement

Location of the transmitter - City, State, Country

Description of the Waymark

Please provide as much information on the transmitter as possible. Properly-attributed Internet sources with links are welcome. All quoted material must be clearly indicated and the source given, including URL, if from a website(Call signs, frequencies, channels and broadcaster could be posted in the variables).

Please also include information about access to the location (roads, parking area, trails, fences).

Some higher transmitters have webcams mounted on the top. Please post the URL of these webcams in the variables.

Language Note

We recognize Waymarking as a global hobby and welcome waymarks from all countries. We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the languages must be English. Waymarks may be presented in other languages, as long as their long and short descriptions are also posted in English.

Instructions for visiting a waymark in this category:

Provide at least one picture and a summary of your visit. Do you/did you watch this TV station or listen to this radio station?

Category Settings:

-Waymarks can be added to this category

-New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

-Category is visible in the directory

Variables:

Text field: call signs, frequencies, channels and broadcaster (optional)

URL reference to transmitter (optional)

URL Webcam (optional)

Opening hours visitors platform (optional)

Backup transmitter yes/no

Legacy transmitter yes/no

Da sage ich doch mal nach ausführlichem Durchlesen:

Daumen hoch für die Kategorie! Es ist a l l e s glasklar beschrieben. Falls ich mal in den Genuß komme, einen Waymark zu begutachten, werde ich mich streng nach diesen Guidelines von Geomaulis halten tongue_animated.gif

Euer *SportBaer*

(habe mal die vorgeschriebende Dienstsprache kurz unterdrückt) blink.gif

May I ask what the reasoning is for excluding only cell phone towers. Seems like this will only force the creation of another category in the future to fill that gap.

Also what is the reasoning for requiring two pictures? Could you provide an example of what you would like these pictures to look like? Would the one in the OP be considered a Close Up shot?

May I ask what the reasoning is for excluding only cell phone towers. Seems like this will only force the creation of another category in the future to fill that gap.

Also what is the reasoning for requiring two pictures? Could you provide an example of what you would like these pictures to look like? Would the one in the OP be considered a Close Up shot?

I see no problem in requiering 2 photos. 1 showing the whole transmitter the other one the ground facilities. Or the second one showing an information about the transmitter.

Is there a need to explain excactly which photos you have to take?

Edited by CADS11

For me, it totally makes sense to exclude cell phone towers. Without them, the category meets the four criteria; including them would cause a problem regarding prevalence and interesting/informative. There is no gap, because a cell tower category has no chance to be approved, they are simply not worth to be waymarked.

The two pictures requirement is an accepted standard, you will find it in almost all newer categories. It is not very important as such, but it has proven to lower the percentage of sub quality submissions in an easy way.

(1) May I ask what the reasoning is for excluding only cell phone towers. Seems like this will only force the creation of another category in the future to fill that gap.

(2) Also what is the reasoning for requiring two pictures? Could you provide an example of what you would like these pictures to look like? Would the one in the OP be considered a Close Up shot?

(1)

Cell phone towers are EVERYWHERE, which means if they are included, then the category will have an overprevalence issue.

Disguised cell phone towers have their own category, which, if cell phone towers are included in the GT category, could create a redundancy issue.

No one needs to know themselves where a cell phone tower is: you phone finds them automatically. So including them in the GT category is not informative.

And finally: cell phone towers are UGLY, and therefore they are not interesting.

(2)

Two pictures is the MINIMUM standard now for waymarks. One photo of the transmitter is required, so the other photo could be of a sign, or location, or different angle, or support building, etc. The 2nd picture is not a horribly burdensome requirement in my view.

Like CADS11, fi67 and Benchmark Blasterz already wrote: Cell phone towers popping up like mushrooms. When I look out of the window of my office I can see 4 in a distance less then 400 Meters.

I also think it that two picture will give a better a better impression of the location to the waymarker.

Nebel (Fog) Problem ???

Imagine, you are standing in front of a transmitter in reason of a friendly view to it. For instance, a pretty well fog has layed before your objective. Both versions: to visit a waymark or create a new one... My simple question is: What should be done ? Is than one picture of the nearest point to the transmitter o.k. or not ... ?

Sorry for that stupid idea ... dry.gif What do you think? tongue_animated.gif

Greetings as well and a nice sunny weekend

*SportBaer*

Nebel (Fog) Problem ???

Imagine, you are standing in front of a transmitter in reason of a friendly view to it. For instance, a pretty well fog has layed before your objective. Both versions: to visit a waymark or create a new one... My simple question is: What should be done ? Is than one picture of the nearest point to the transmitter o.k. or not ... ?

Sorry for that stupid idea ... dry.gif What do you think? tongue_animated.gif

Greetings as well and a nice sunny weekend

*SportBaer*

I would think that if you can see the transmitter, you can make the waymark. If you can't -- you can't.

We are Waymarking transmitters in this category, not signs or fences.

BUT -- it may be that this foggy photo will be acceptable for the visit to an existing waymark of the transmitter :)

And thanks for your wishes for a sunny weekend, but it is spring in Dallas and that means MORE SEVERE STORMS this weekend :) The lightning will find transmitters for us - and may even knock a few off the air (as happened 3 days ago). :(

I've been watching this thread with interest as I am an ex electronics enthusiast/service person/SWL etc.

I'm definitely in favour of the category, assuming that it remains "commercial only" (no cell towers, no industrial antennas, etc.)

I have one nit to pick, however, and that is with your choice of nomenclature.

What you wish to Waymark here are Transmission Towers or Antennas, NOT transmitters.

Transmitters are the electronic devices which create and modulate a radio frequency signal, sending it to the Transmission Tower or Antenna for transmission.

Keith

This is my proposed write-up. If the COs decide to accept Keith's point, the write-up can be changed to replace "transmitter" with "antenna"

Short Description

This category collects commercially-licensed Radio and Television transmitters around the world. Military and non-public government agency transmitters are excluded.

Expanded Description

Radio and TV transmitters can be found almost anywhere in the world. Many of them are very large and imposing, others are elegant and graceful. Some transmitters only have a short broadcasting area, while others can blast out radio and television signals over a wide area. Some transmitters can send signals over thousands of miles with the right atmospheric conditions in place! Pilots often use radio and TV transmitters as landmarks for Visual Flight Rules navigation.

We are looking for active and legacy radio and TV transmitters around the world that are used by commercially-licensed (mostly in US) or public-service/commercial (in Europe and beyond) radio and TV stations that broadcast programs on the public airwaves.

Since all US general public-service broadcasters receive a commercial broadcasting license from the Federal Communications Commission (even "public" broadcasting stations), only commercially-licensed TV and radio stations in the US will be accepted in the category.

We recognize that each country sets its own broadcast rules. Many stations worldwide are not commercially-licensed, but are owned by national governments and operated by corporations or consortiums in the public interest.

Therefore, in addition to commercially-licensed stations, this category will also accept government-owned non-commercial broadcasting stations that broadcast to a general audience in the public interest, such as (not a complete list):

ARD (Arbeitsgemeinschaft der öffentlich-rechtlichen Rundfunkanstalten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland), ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen), and SWF (Südwestrundfunk)

The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), BBC (Bermuda), ABC (Australia), PBC (India) and CBC (Canada)

RAI (Radiotelevisione italiana)

ORF (Österreichischer Rundfunk)

RTVE (Corporación de Radio y Televisión Española)

VRT (Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie)

ERT (Ente Radio Trieste, aka The Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation)

Radio France and France Télévisions, and

NHK (Japan)

as well as other such public-service broadcasting equivalents to these examples in other countries worldwide.

*Multi-client transmitter towers (e.g. mobile/cellular telecommunication towers) as long as at least one of the other clients is a TV or radio station from the acceptable waymark list above. These multi-client transmitters should be waymarked as a single site regardless of how many radio or television stations are using the tower. For example: Freedom Tower TV/Radio Transmitter -- New York NY USA

*"Tower farms" will be accepted, but all the towers of the farm should be grouped together into a single waymark. The waymark name will be the site of the tower farm, for example: Mount Wilson Tower Farm -- Los Angeles CA USA

*Backup transmitters and historic transmitters will be accepted if they meet the requirements for active transmitters: commercially-licensed/waymarkable station, tower/transmitter at site, proof of location, proof of use, etc.

Category EXCLUSIONS:

*Military and Government-owned transmitters that do not broadcast to the general public.

*Legacy transmitter sites (such as tower farms) without any towers.

*Cell phone towers are excluded, unless a waymarkable Radio/TV station also broadcasts from that same tower.

*Mobile transmitters (such as satellite-uplink trucks, for example) or temporary transmitters (which will operate for a period of time and be removed) are excluded.

*The transmitters must be used at the present time or in the past to broadcast commercial radio and/or TV programs using AM, FM, DAB, or LW bands.

*If there is no possibility to identify the transmitter as a radio or television transmitter (either by information at the transmitter site or by the internet) it will not be accepted as a possible waymark for this category.

*If there is no identifying sign at the transmitter location, or if the site is not publicly accessible, then internet sources may be used. Please quote the source, with attribution, and paste the link to the source in the long description.

Place your waymark coordinates as near to the transmitter as possible. Please describe the location of the coordinates to help other waymarkers find the spot.

If the transmitter is on the top of a building and there is no access to the building (no visitors allowed) the waymark coordinates should be taken at the front of the building.

If the transmitter is on a skyscraper and access is provided by a visitor platform, please add platform open hours to the variables.

Required Photos

At least two personally-taken photos are required. One should be a close-up showing the transmitter. The second photo should be a wider shot of the entire transmitter structure.

In the case of a tower farm, one picture should show the entire farm. Other close-up photos of the farm towers are welcome If there is some identifying signage, please add a picture of the sign.

Title Requirement

Location of the transmitter - City, State, Country

Please provide as much information on the transmitter as possible. Properly-attributed Internet sources with links are welcome. All quoted material must be clearly indicated and the source given, including URL, if from a website

Please post the station's call sign or channel so that other waymarkers could tune in if they wanted to.

Please also include information about access to the location (roads, parking area, trails, hazards, fences).

Some higher transmitters have webcams mounted on the top. Please post the URL of these webcams in the variables.

Language Note

We recognize Waymarking as a global hobby and welcome waymarks from all countries. We encourage bilingual and multilingual waymarks, but one of the languages must be English. Waymarks may be presented in other languages, as long as their long and short descriptions are also posted in English.

Provide at least one picture and a summary of your visit. Do you/did you watch this TV station or listen to this radio station?

Category Settings:

-New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Variables:

URL reference to transmitter (optional)

URL Webcam (optional)

Backup transmitter yes/no

Legacy transmitter yes/no

Overall I'm not convinced this will be an interesting category. Essentially it will this website https://www.antennas...er-locator.html with pictures of towers which are basically the same.

"I see no problem in requiering 2 photos. 1 showing the whole transmitter the other one the ground facilities. Or the second one showing an information about the transmitter. Is there a need to explain excactly which photos you have to take? "

Yes, if waymarks are going to be denied based on not having a wide enough angle or some other reason, it should be clearly stated in the instructions. These instructions should be clear to people so that making a waymark isn't confusing or frustrating to newcomers.

Edited by stinger503

Overall I'm not convinced this will be an interesting category. Essentially it will this website https://www.antennas...er-locator.html with pictures of towers which are basically the same.

"I see no problem in requiering 2 photos. 1 showing the whole transmitter the other one the ground facilities. Or the second one showing an information about the transmitter. Is there a need to explain excactly which photos you have to take? "

Yes, if waymarks are going to be denied based on not having a wide enough angle or some other reason, it should be clearly stated in the instructions. These instructions should be clear to people so that making a waymark isn't confusing or frustrating to newcomers.

That website is AWESOME

I will rename the category to "Radio and Television Transmitter Towers". This should be a clear nomenclature as BK-Hunters has noted.

Short Description

This category collects commercially-licensed Radio and Television transmitter towers/antennas around the world. Military and non-public government agency transmitter towers/antennas are excluded.

Expanded Description

Radio and TV transmitter towers/ antennas can be found almost anywhere in the world. Many of them are very large and imposing, others are elegant and graceful. Some transmitter tower/antennas only have a short broadcasting area, while others can blast out radio and television signals over a wide area. Some transmitter tower/antennas can send signals over thousands of miles with the right atmospheric conditions in place! Pilots often use radio and TV transmitters as landmarks for Visual Flight Rules navigation.

We are looking for active and legacy Radio and TV transmitter towers/antennas around the world that are used by commercially-licensed (mostly in US) or public-service/commercial (in Europe and beyond) radio and TV stations that broadcast programs on the public airwaves.

Since all US general public-service broadcasters receive a commercial broadcasting license from the Federal Communications Commission (even "public" broadcasting stations), only commercially-licensed TV and radio stations in the US will be accepted in the category.

We recognize that each country sets its own broadcast rules. Many stations worldwide are not commercially-licensed, but are owned by national governments and operated by corporations or consortiums in the public interest.

Therefore, in addition to commercially-licensed stations, this category will also accept government-owned non-commercial broadcasting stations that broadcast to a general audience in the public interest, such as (not a complete list):

ARD (Arbeitsgemeinschaft der öffentlich-rechtlichen Rundfunkanstalten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland), ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen), and SWF (Südwestrundfunk)

The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), BBC (Bermuda), ABC (Australia), PBC (India) and CBC (Canada)

RAI (Radiotelevisione italiana)

ORF (Österreichischer Rundfunk)

RTVE (Corporación de Radio y Televisión Española)

VRT (Vlaamse Radio- en Televisieomroeporganisatie)

ERT (Ente Radio Trieste, aka The Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation)

Radio France and France Télévisions, and

NHK (Japan)

as well as other such public-service broadcasting equivalents to these examples in other countries worldwide.

*Multi-client transmitter towers/antennas (e.g mobile/cellular telecommunication towers) as long as at least one of the other clients is a commercially-licensed TV or radio station. These multi-client transmitter towers/antennas should be waymarked as a single site regardless of how many radio or television stations are using the tower. For example: Freedom Tower TV/Radio Transmitter tower /antenna -- New York NY USA

*" Tower/antenna farms" will be accepted, but all the towers of the farm should be grouped together into a single waymark. The waymark name will be the site of the tower farm, for example: Mount Wilson tower /antenna Farm -- Los Angeles CA USA

*Backup transmitter sites and historic transmitter sites will be accepted if they meet the requirements for active transmitter tower/antennas: commercially-licensed station, towers/antennas at site, proof of location, proof of use, etc.

Category EXCLUSIONS:

*Military transmitter towers/antennas and Government transmitter towers/antennasthat do not broadcast to the general public.

*Legacy transmitter sites (such as tower farms) WITHOUT any Towers/Antennas

*Cell phone towers are excluded, UNLESS a Commercial Radio/TV station also broadcasts from that same tower.

*Mobile transmitter Towers/Antennas (such as satellite-uplink-trucks, for example) or temporary transmitters (which will operate for a period of time and be removed)

The transmitter towers/antennas must be used at the present time or in the past to broadcast commercial radio and/or TV programs using AM, FM, DAB, or LW bands.

If there is no possiblity to indentify the transmitter Tower/Antenna as a radio or television transmitter tower/antenna (either by information at the transmitter Towers/Antennas site or by the internet) it will not be accepted as a possible waymark for this category.

If there is no identifying sign at the transmitter towers/antennas location, or if the site is not publicly accessible, then internet sources may be used. Please quote the source, with attribution, and paste the link in the long description.

Place your waymark coordinates as near to the transmitter towers/antennas as possible. Please describe the location of the coordinates to help other waymarkers find the spot.

If the transmitter tower/antenna is on the top of a building and there is no access to the building (no visitors allowed) the waymark coordinates should be taken at the front of the building.

If the transmitter tower/antenna is on a skyscraper and access is provided by a visitor platform, please add platform open hours to the variables.

Required Photos

At least two personally-taken photos are required. One should be a close-up showing the transmitter tower/antenna. The second photo should be a wider shot of the entire transmitter site structure.

In the case of a tower/antenna farm, one picture should show the entire farm. Other close-up photos of the farm towers/antennas are welcome If there is some identifying signage, please add a picture of the sign.

Title Requirement

Location of the ransmitter tower /antenna - City, State, Country

Please provide as much information on the transmitter as possible. Properly-attributed Internet sources with links are welcome. All quoted material must be clearly indicated and the source given, including URL, if from a website(Call signs, frequencies, channels and broadcaster could be posted in the variables).

Please also include information about access to the location (roads, parking area, trails, fences).

Some higher transmitter towers /antennas have webcams mounted on the top. Please post the URL of these webcams in the variables.

Language Note

Provide at least one picture of the Transmitter tower/antenna and a summary of your visit. Do you/did you watch this TV station or listen to this radio station?

Category Settings:

Variables:

URL reference to transmitter Tower /Antenna (optional)

URL Webcam (optional)

Backup transmitter tower/antenna yes/no

Legacy transmitter tower/antenna yes/no

It might not hurt the cause to mention that quite a few transmission towers are also benchmarks, at least in the US. Can't speak for any other countries. Have not encountered any in Canada, though they may exist.

Keith

The US benchmark database may be a good place to identify legacy towers.