New Cacher, need help with Acronyms

LinceRoxo

I'm a relatively new cacher, I started geocaching in February this year and have so far found 9 caches. I went looking for five today (found one of them)and when I couldn't find one of them, I looked at the encrypted clue. The clue is five letters. ICMTT. That is all. I've come across a couple of other caches, in a nearby area also mentioning ICT or ICMTT. I have no idea what this means, or how to find out. It doesn't seem to be mentioned among the acronyms listed on this website and a google search is returning nothing. A bit frustrating as everyone who's logged it as found seems to understand the clue, and says that it's really easy to find! Anyone understand this acronym?

I've come across a couple of other caches, in a nearby area also mentioning ICT or ICMTT.

"Ivy Covered Tree" and "Ivy Covered Multi-Trunked Tree" (also "MTT" = "Multi-Trunked Tree"). :)

I've been geocaching for six years, and have found 800 or so caches, and so far this year I've seen two hint acronyms that I could only interpret after finding the cache. The cache logs showed that one of them had mystified many other experienced local cachers too.

My experience is that the hint field is often unhelpful and on higher difficulty caches can sometimes be intentionally misleading. Some COs seem to want to fill in the field without actually giving a hint, while at the other extreme are people who use shorthand terms that make sense to them but not to many other cachers. As you find more caches you'll develop more of a sense about the likely hiding places in a location. I find that "cacher's eye" is much more useful than most hints! :lol:

Good luck, and happy caching!

Edited by elfre

I looked at the encrypted clue. The clue is five letters. ICMTT.

I've been caching since 2003 and don't recall running into that acronym before.

ICT and MTT are common caching acronyms in the UK, so ICMTT is a reasonable extrapolation *if* a cacher already knows the first two. I've also seen other variations such as "hedera helix" or "iv" or "IV".

A bit frustrating as everyone who's logged it as found seems to understand the clue, and says that it's really easy to find!

I remembered this thread today as I walked from Kiddie to Stourport along the cut, and especially when I found SCW - 12. I don't know if this helps you feel less frustrated but although I logged 21 finds today I also logged 5 dnfs :lol: and 3 of those were on the SCW series. It would have been 4 dnfs on that series but completely by chance I found the pieces of a container that had been muggled and managed to put them back together with a new log and then rehide the cache. :ph34r:

It's usual to ask the cache owner if you need an extra hint but as I'm currently the last person to have rehidden SCW - 12 (your secret nemesis cache ;) - we all have one! :lol: ) I'd be happy to give you an extra hint about the hide if you want one, although you'd need to use the private message or email system to ask me because I wouldn't post it here in the forums.

Happy caching! :)