Publishing pictures

Danie Viljoen

I need help - I have been using Photobucket to store graphs and pictures, and then linked from there to my postings. Photobucket however stopped accepting any new uploads from me (and in any case all the advertisements have been driving me crazy). I need a new (free) repository that will last a long time. I tried Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive and Google Drive, but this message board does not accept links from any of them.

I need help - I have been using Photobucket to store graphs and pictures, and then linked from there to my postings. Photobucket however stopped accepting any new uploads from me (and in any case all the advertisements have been driving me crazy). I need a new (free) repository that will last a long time. I tried Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive and Google Drive, but this message board does not accept links from any of them.

If you already have a picture online and it's available to the public, paste the URL, and people can go look at it.

If you need to display a picture quickly, and don't mind if it's temporary, do a google of "TinyPic". You can upload a picture in no time.

Are the pictures relatively small (1200 x 900 pixels or smaller)? Usually they would be even smaller to display on this message board or on a cache page. If so, upload the pictures to one of your cache page image galleries. I upload to one of my archived caches. Upload it, then click the picture so that it's the only thing on screen. Now there's a URL usually ending with ".jpg". Copy that, and the picture will show up on the message board.

Edited by kunarion

Flickr should work

"Flickr" complained that I had filled up my account. With about 20 pictures. So I never recommend it, I don't use it anymore, and would not consider it as a place to store images unless I pay whatever the subscription is. Which I won't. Also, it was a chore to link an image. Except for all that, it's perfect. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

Flickr should work

"Flickr" complained that I had filled up my account. With about 20 pictures. So I never recommend it, I don't use it anymore, and would not consider it as a place to store images unless I pay whatever the subscription is. Which I won't. Also, it was a chore to link an image. Except for all that, it's perfect. :anibad:

:anibad:

Things must have changed. I haven't used my flickr for a while but it still has hundreds of images.

For forums I generally use my own webhosting space to host images so don't have the issue of relying on other services.

Your utilization of an archived cache quite clever. Will just clutter up the users gallery in their profile though, mixing forum images and actual images for caches.

One of the local users posts a TFTC image on each cache they visit, result is that their photo gallery is 1000's of repeats of the same image. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Danie Viljoen said:

I notice all my graphs and images (hosted on Photobucket) are gone - apparently I now have to pay to get them to display. Nice one Photobucket! :mad: There are many hundreds of them - I see no fast way to fix them all.

Yep.  Unfortunately that has unfortunately always been the problem with having images hosted on other sites.  If the sites go down or change their terms, then it impacts anyone who has referenced those hyperlinks, forums included.  Fortunately we can now upload the files directly here (you will see the links available when you create a new post).  Sadly doesn't help your historical images, unless you start updating them manually  :ph34r: